Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

A.O. from the mavic side

Are you looking for anything specific? There are many people here who'd be more than happy to share information with you. BTW. Once you go down the path of FPV, your mavic may end up collecting a little bit of dust. I have 2 Mavics that get some flight time, but only 1/10 of what they used to before I got into FPV. The mavis are great for certain types of shots, but FPV give you the feeling of flight like nothing else.

Are you looking for anything specific? There are many people here who'd be more than happy to share information with you. BTW. Once you go down the path of FPV, your mavic may end up collecting a little bit of dust. I have 2 Mavics that get some flight time, but only 1/10 of what they used to before I got into FPV. The mavis are great for certain types of shots, but FPV give you the feeling of flight like nothing else.
I am not looking for anything specific, just looking. Used to watch DRL drone racing on tv which got me into the whole drone thing to begin with Didn't get a drone for the shots as much as just for the flying. And as I said looking to expand my horizons maybe.
Seems FPV is way confusing.. get a bird from here, then a controller here, and goggles from this place......

I am not looking for anything specific, just looking. Used to watch DRL drone racing on tv which got me into the whole drone thing to begin with Didn't get a drone for the shots as much as just for the flying. And as I said looking to expand my horizons maybe.
Seems FPV is way confusing.. get a bird from here, then a controller here, and goggles from this place......
If you want to try FPV, your cheapest route is going with a kit like this.

If you want to try FPV, your cheapest route is going with a kit like this.
But... at $189 how good can it be, kind of scares me at that price.
My first drone was some $100 job and almost unflyable!!

Reactions: HighTechPauper
You can't equate the 2 categories, one is (in my opinion, and I have a P4P+V1) an overpriced aircraft that really flies itself, you just tell it where to go. The other is a much more fairly priced aircraft that will be an accomplishment to be able to fly, but the satisfaction is 100x greater once you start learning to fly it. One comes out of the box ready to go, the other will require programming the remote, and learning a bit about Betaflight (or possibly other FC software) and a new learning curve on what it means to be able to "fly". As I always say, someone who can fly a DJI cannot initially fly an FPV quad, but anyone who can fly an FPV quad CAN fly a DJI. I still take my P4P+ out from time to time when I am interested in photography, but if I want to actually fly, it is FPV, and nothing else can compare.

On this side of the fence your remote and goggles are more a 1 time purchase (buy once, cry once) quads and batteries on the other hand are consumables since Fly/Crash/Repair/Repeat is our mantra, but the satisfaction and challenge makes a DJI quad feel like a bicycle with training wheels.

Welcome to the forum @A.O., I think your gonna like what you have gotten yourself into. IMHO

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Madhungarian
While eating a sandwich and reading a book. ;)
This! This is what I like to see! Some fresh young humor (with a bit of truth sprinkled in) to make us all laugh!!! ??? That was rich, RICH I TELL YOU!!!

Reactions: okw
It is fairly easy today (I think) to say what is the best options/price on gear to get into FPV, most of us can point you in the best direction, the only real decision at first is if you can afford DJI Digital FPV system or not, and then decide if you want extra bells and whistles that go with FPV quads that are not possible with the DJI TX and Control Link. For me, if I was starting new today it would still be what I have (OpenTX remote and TBS Crossfire control) and the DJI DFPV system. While I couldn't go DJI initially because I love Tiny Whoops and sub micros too much, something not yet possible with DJI DFPV and I couldn't justify the cost at this time, but I could certainly see having both eventually if I live long enough.

It can certainly be overwhelming for anyone new to FPV. The really good news is that it's never been easier to get into FPV. The past 3 years have resulted in major improvements in equipment and also many quality manufacturers have been releasing really good Bind-and-Fly (BNF) FPV quads that just need to be bound to your radio.

You biggest decision will be how much you want to spend for your initial entry into FPV. If cost is no object that DJI is the way to go hands down. Otherwise, you will need to make a few decisions. A DJI digital setup will cost you $1500-$2000 which might be too much for many people as a entry price. You also need to decide if you plan on flying just outdoors or would you like to fly indoors as well. Most indoor drones (smaller drones with prop guards often referred to as whoops or Tinywhoops) are analog and some slightly larger 85mm++ are available as digital or digital video. An analog setup will cost you anywhere from $250 -$2000 primarily depending on your choice of goggles. A better than average set of goggle will be your largest expense. The radio options are many but there are many really amazing options in the $200 range. The quad can cost anywhere from $150 - $500 or more depending on options. Building your first quad used to be recommended by many enthusiasts as it get you deep into the hobby and you learn alot, but these days I recommend you buy a pre-built BNF and get flying sooner with less risk for expensive mistakes.

The kits mentioned previously are a good start and the Emax Tinyhawk2 kit will impress as the quad is very quick and agile and can be flown indoor or outdoor. The Emax Tinyhawk Freestyle II has no prop guards and should be flown outdoors only for safety reasons. These kits are good if you want to test the waters at a low price to see if you like FPV. The radio and goggles are pretty crappy and you will want to replace them within a few months but there isn't much loss as the radio and goggles are worth $100 basically. The goggles can be kept for ride-alongs where other spectators want to see the flight with you. The only other real issue with the Tinyhawk is that since it has an all-in-one (AIO) flight controller and ESC board, it can be difficult to repair (due to very tiny components) and costly to replace if you need to replace the AIO. As long as you disarm ASAP on a crash and don't go crazy in turtle mode, they are pretty good and you shouldn't burn an ESC. Due to the low mass, this quad can take alot of crashes without major damage. I really like the Tinyhawk freestyle II so much so I have 3 of them with many upgrades to two of them.

Your first major purchase should probably be a decent radio (with a multi protocol module) as you can use it with many drones with different receiver types as well as with simulator software to get some flight time in before you venture off with a real quad. I just switch last summer from a Taranis x9D to a Radiomaster TX16S and love this radio. It's an amazing value at less than $200 and will work with just about every drone out there.

The next thing you will probably look as it a quad that gives you a great user flight experience but has the ability to be easily repaired. The 5in quads have arguably the best power to weight balance but can be a little dangerous if you don't respect the speed and power. There are many smaller quads 2.5in -3in like the Diatone GT-R249 or GT-R349 or iFlight H3 etc... that have a separate flight controller (FC) and ESC board so they are easier to repair. A quad in this class is also a good place to start.

The decision on goggles is one that many people ponder and struggle with. Do you go cheap, mid-range or high end. The people that can affort to go high-end, buy once and cry once then never look back, but alot of people don't have the budget for $500-$700 set of goggles but thankfully there are many good goggles in the $200-$300 range that can server you for years.

One area often overlooked by beginners is the batteries and charger(s). A good quality charger is essential for safety and long battery life. A good charger will set you back $60-$100 and the larger the battery, the higher the cost. This is another reason for starting off with a smaller quad. LIPOs can be dangerous in certain conditions and a good smart charger is essential.

Once you get into the need for repairs, you will need to start looking at building a basic toolkit which include hex drivers, a soldering iron, flux pen, wire cutters and a good set of tweezers to start. Expect to pay $50-$150 for these tools.

I guess the last thing I would mention in this long rant is that different FPV drones offer different experiences due to flight characteristics, video quality, range, speed, agility and many other factors, but the one thing they all have in common is they all take you into the immersive experience of flight like nothing else. Exploring new locations, flying tight gaps, surfing mountains or living out your own Starwars experience speeding through a narrow canyon, FPV is a journey that will build new relationships, memories and lifelong friendships. Don't be afraid to jump right in. As you can tell from all the replies to your original post, you'll be amazed at the supportive community ready and willing to help you get the most out of FPV.

Last edited:
Maybe it is just me, but I keep getting cute puppies of varying breeds that all say the same thing...

View attachment 4862
Sorry they already sold out, but they have the same kit at RDQ

Or you can get the one with the Tinyhawk II, more of an indoor flyer but also can fly outside in no wind.

This would be his cheapest route since your paying about 110-120 for the drone and 70 for the controller and headset. The quality of the controller and headset are not that great but to try out IMO is not that much\bad. I started with the original tinyhawk and got my self a seperate jumper transmitter and viper xt headset which was way more(still use today). This way I learned how to setup the transmitter through betaflight and on the transmitter itself.

It's a great place to start.
The goggles aren't great, I took mine apart and made a base station viewer from them when I got better goggles. The controller is fine for that qwad but I quickly upgraded to a better one for about $100
The Tinyhawk Freestyle 2 is awesome!
I still fly mine all the time. It's quiet, flies great and just today, when I was flying a 5"(that's propeller size) I was thinking about how much better I've gotten because I'd been flying my little Tinyhawk freestyle 2. I was hitting gaps no problem and flying down tight paths.
My suggestion would be get a good controller. You can get one for close to $100. You will use this controller for years to come with all your different qwads. You can even connect it to a computer to use with a SIM.

Buy a pair of cheap goggles if you're on a tight budget. You can always share them when you upgrade if you want to "take someone for a ride". If you can spend a bit more get one's with a dvr so you can record your flights.
If you can afford more get good goggles now, same as the controller, you'll use them for years with all your craft.

Definitely get the Tinyhawk Freestyle 2. It's great to learn with and you'll probably keep flying it even after you get more and bigger qwads.

If you're on a tight budget just get the kit, it works good. It's not just cheap junk but you'll probably become obsessed like us and want to upgrade.
Best of luck, there's lots of great knowledge to be had on this forum.

Reactions: Madhungarian
It is fairly easy today (I think) to say what is the best options/price on gear to get into FPV, most of us can point you in the best direction, the only real decision at first is if you can afford DJI Digital FPV system or not, and then decide if you want extra bells and whistles that go with FPV quads that are not possible with the DJI TX and Control Link. For me, if I was starting new today it would still be what I have (OpenTX remote and TBS Crossfire control) and the DJI DFPV system. While I couldn't go DJI initially because I love Tiny Whoops and sub micros too much, something not yet possible with DJI DFPV and I couldn't justify the cost at this time, but I could certainly see having both eventually if I live long enough.
Just like you before the digital revolution, I flew a pile of quads using whatever the latest and best analogue systems were out there but then along came DJI. I recently converted a Diatone R349 to digital and whilst there is some work to be done, it is still a missile and the flying experience is great. This hobby is a great money sink but the smiles are endless, had to abort a flight today due to being stung by a wasp but when I walked/hobbled over to the quad, a couple of magpies were leaning over the quad and making that noise they always do. i was laughing and enjoying every minute of it. As for the chimera 7, unbelievable range and endless smiling....

We think alike! I just put a Caddx Nebula Pro into a GT-R349. Such a great little rocket of a quad. I also really love the chimera 7. Mine grew out of a DC7 but now resembles the factory chimera 7 with 6S 1300Kv motors. Amazing long range cruiser!

Agreed! Starting from new I would say the goal should be OpenTX with crossfire or tracer as a control link. It's completely bullet-proof and you'll never have to worry about your control link failing before your video goes out. as for video, start where your budget allows but DJI is so much better it will be the goal for alot of people. If this is the case for you, then maybe don't go buy $600 analog goggles as your first point of entry. There are also very good deals to be had for great analog goggles on the used market.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone