Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Addiction and "Flow"

rtkDarling

Reaction score
I was watching my new favorite youtuber recently and he did a piece around "Flow" which he defined as a state of super focus. Artists, musicians, writers and athletes all describe similar feelings when they're in a flow state:

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.35.52 PM.png

Describes a good flight doesn't it? I think it describes even some pretty mediocre flights as well, and that's what got me thinking. The mechanism of the goggles, paired with the intense concentration necessary for navigating FPV drones, creates a perfect storm for pilots to reach a flow state. I think that's why I find it so addicting, and I think that's also why it's proving to be a useful tool against PTSD.

It's a double edged sword for those of us that fly a lot. You're not going to do your best work without that flow state, so we come to demand it. Flying when I'm even a little bit distracted leads to inevitable frustration. This means that in essence we demand a mental state from ourselves that other artists and working professionals are lucky to achieve a handful of times in their lives.
What a time to be alive huh?

Here's the video that got me thinking

You raise a very interesting point of discussion. Having all the gear and no idea usually leads to a poor outcome which is why the for sale sites are full of people unloading their stuff following a lack of understanding or commitment with their purchase. I was fortunate enough to sit down and have a beer and a chat with Mick Doohan (5 times world 500cc champion) and he said that despite half the grid having essentially the same bike as him, he would be mentally prepared to the extent where he knew he was going to win. He was so absorbed in his craft and clearly had the riding skills to match, he stated that on race day, he had no idea of what was going on around him except that he believed he was the best rider out there and the rest of the grid knew it as well. Riding motorbikes and indeed FPV flying is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical endeavour and you need to be prepared to crash, get up, learn from your mistakes and do it again until you reach a state where whatever you are doing is an extension of yourself and not a hindrance. We all do it from time to time and not realise the importance of what has just happened, the trick is to recreate that mindset time and again to progress our learning experience.

You raise a very interesting point of discussion. Having all the gear and no idea usually leads to a poor outcome which is why the for sale sites are full of people unloading their stuff following a lack of understanding or commitment with their purchase. I was fortunate enough to sit down and have a beer and a chat with Mick Doohan (5 times world 500cc champion) and he said that despite half the grid having essentially the same bike as him, he would be mentally prepared to the extent where he knew he was going to win. He was so absorbed in his craft and clearly had the riding skills to match, he stated that on race day, he had no idea of what was going on around him except that he believed he was the best rider out there and the rest of the grid knew it as well. Riding motorbikes and indeed FPV flying is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical endeavour and you need to be prepared to crash, get up, learn from your mistakes and do it again until you reach a state where whatever you are doing is an extension of yourself and not a hindrance. We all do it from time to time and not realise the importance of what has just happened, the trick is to recreate that mindset time and again to progress our learning experience.

I failed to make the reference when I saw your avatar, but I should have. You're absolutely correct about motorcycles (or any high performance vehicle, but bikes in particular) demanding the same flow state from riders. I just sold a Ducati Monster 750, and I'm not the only person to replace the thrill of a sport bike with the thrill of FPV, one of our best Matty Stuntz was a gear head too. FPV can get you into the same flow state with less danger, and you get a more varied course obviously because you can make it up yourself. I do still miss my bike though

It was Matty that got me into FPV, and here's the video that did it:

Reactions: Wayno52
I failed to make the reference when I saw your avatar, but I should have. You're absolutely correct about motorcycles (or any high performance vehicle, but bikes in particular) demanding the same flow state from riders. I just sold a Ducati Monster 750, and I'm not the only person to replace the thrill of a sport bike with the thrill of FPV, one of our best Matty Stuntz was a gear head too. FPV can get you into the same flow state with less danger, and you get a more varied course obviously because you can make it up yourself. I do still miss my bike though

It was Matty that got me into FPV, and here's the video that did it:
Hmm, wasn't so much an inspiration from an individual or even something I had seen on the Internet when I moved across to FPV racing drones, but I know that I had had enough of flying my phantoms around, making videos and flying Litchi WP missions. My local hobby shop that had been supplying bits and pieces to me for years suggested a racing drone package that I picked up and suddenly found a renewed interest and a new challenge. Suddenly I was excited to be in the hobby again and determined to improve my skills after years of P-GPS mode. The wife claims she has never seen me so determined and frustrated each time I drag bits and pieces of quads back home to rebuild, but understands the purpose of it all. It's all about getting into that zone of complete control and setting achievable goals on the way to getting to that bench mark you've set yourself. Same with bikes, I rode motocross bikes through Cambodia and Vietnam purely to see if i could keep up with the younger crew and learn new skills. My dad thinks I'm a lunatic for punting a 145 kW bike around a racetrack but as you say, it's all about getting into that flow and pushing yourself to see how far you can get. Besides, I'm pretty close to turning 60 and I don't want to end up like many around me that settle for mediocrity as the norm. Bugger that...

To get "flow" There is no substitute for burning batteries no matter what or where you fly. I ride an Aprilia Futura, I bought it in 2000 and im not parting with it ever. Its just another occasional Rush. FPV is cheaper and safer. (lawn chair adrenalin junky)FB_IMG_1529155450796.jpg

To get "flow" There is no substitute for burning batteries no matter what or where you fly. I ride an Aprilia Futura, I bought it in 2000 and im not parting with it ever. Its just another occasional Rush. FPV is cheaper and safer. (lawn chair adrenalin junky)View attachment 2908
Nice, up to bike #27 and not letting go of this one for quite some time. Besides, I can marry both passions with carrying my quad in the backpack and ride to some nearby open fieldsBFC5E8AD-8EAB-4E68-BD8E-C791909008A8.jpeg

wow, 27... am standing at #13. Its actually mothballed right now. I haven't ridden in 15 months. gotta good scare from an old blue haired broad, pulled over onto me and I rode up onto the raised median dodging two deliniator posts and ending up in oncoming traffic for 30 yards before getting back over under a red light.

there are only 4500 ever made, mine is #17 and first one sold on the east coast. there are less than 650 of them left in the US. about 1600 world wide. mine has no scratches. It shifts like a Ducati, Vtwin Rotax 997 sounds Italian and no one has ever seen one when I ride. PRICELESS!
It Has all the needed upgrades turning 128hp. It was Italian genius but too much too soon for y2k.

Old lady scared me so I put it away for a while.

wow, 27... am standing at #13. Its actually mothballed right now. I haven't ridden in 15 months. gotta good scare from an old blue haired broad, pulled over onto me and I rode up onto the raised median dodging two deliniator posts and ending up in oncoming traffic for 30 yards before getting back over under a red light.

there are only 4500 ever made, mine is #17 and first one sold on the east coast. there are less than 650 of them left in the US. about 1600 world wide. mine has no scratches. It shifts like a Ducati, Vtwin Rotax 997 sounds Italian and no one has ever seen one when I ride. PRICELESS!
It Has all the needed upgrades turning 128hp. It was Italian genius but too much too soon for y2k.

Old lady scared me so I put it away for a while.
Well that’s pretty ordinary but these types are out there waiting for us. **** fine bike you have there and certainly worth keeping. Flying quads is infinitely safer than some of the stuff i see out there on the roads and you ride accordingly, but flying around my place or in the park is certainly my go to when I get spare time.

Reactions: Futuramille
Ive thought about the backpack with drones heading out on my bike. Id get a better view of places to "snipe" riding back roads, than in the truck.
I just gotta get out period.
Ive got five spots inside 4 miles Ive found currently but there's so much more.
As for trees in florida, these high topped pines and palms are epic for learned power loops if you can find the right pair.
An adrenaline addiction is proper and usually life long.

Last edited:
Reactions: tevek
Ive thought about the backpack with drones heading out on my bike. Id get a better view of places to "snipe" riding back roads, than in the truck.
I just gotta get out period.
Ive got five spots inside 4 miles Ive found currently but there's so much more.
As for trees in florida, these high topped pines and palms are epic for learned power loops if you can find the right pair.
An adrenaline addiction is proper and usually life long.
Yep Adrenalin is the key and the driver for becoming a better pilot. I live in a forest with a million Jarrah, Karri and monster eucalyptus trees. If you get caught up in any of them above 15-20 mtrs, it’s basically all over as they are nearly impossible to climb without a trained climber. I used a water cannon to get one down a while ago near my place, so I’m sticking to wide open places before I get back amongst the trees. Still managed to laugh though as you get that rush practicing and pushing yourself. Probably explains why I use my wizards around the block and my hawk 5 for loops and rolls in the open lol...

Reactions: Futuramille
If you get caught up in any of them above 15-20 mtrs, it’s basically all over as they are nearly impossible to climb without a trained climber.
I almost killed myself a month ago trying to get my quad down. To my everlasting shame I ended up cutting a large branch off the tree
15446679911102023.gif

It's part of a crash compilation I did

I almost killed myself a month ago trying to get my quad down. To my everlasting shame I ended up cutting a large branch off the tree
15446679911102023.gif

It's part of a crash compilation I did

Yes there have been times when you are looking at the chainsaw in your shed and figuring that one tree out of a thousand won’t matter but decide otherwise. Some fine flying in your clip and spectacular prangs , if I could manage half of that I would be pretty chuffed with myself. Cheers for that.

This...
15446732011313980620982720389409.jpg
works a charm keeping me out of trees and you see how we like to hug trees.

I took a tennis ball, drilled it through and filled it with BBs. ran a slick, flexible cable and capped additional weight with the U clamp holding the cable.

Add a dog ball (tennis) chucker and Ive seen 70' vertical tosses. you still gotta toss it, lmao, but.. once it hooks over the limb, the weight of the ball pulls the cable down so you hold both ends.. shake the sh>>t out of it till the tree gives your drone back... lol. 85% of tree time, this thing works. ball tossers are at the pet store. get the big one!

I took a tennis ball, drilled it through and filled it with BBs. ran a slick, flexible cable and capped additional weight with the U clamp holding the cable.

Add a dog ball (tennis) chucker and Ive seen 70' vertical tosses. you still gotta toss it, lmao, but.. once it hooks over the limb, the weight of the ball pulls the cable down so you hold both ends.. shake the sh>>t out of it till the tree gives your drone back... lol. 85% of tree time, this thing works. ball tossers are at the pet store. get the big one!
giphy.gif

Certainly looks better than my tennis racket effort that cost me half a dozen balls into outer space. I’ll look at the local hardware shop next time I’m in town.
Here are a couple of buddies that follow me around when I fly at home:4EBFC874-B288-4B71-88F2-95F6ADE703EC.jpeg

Certainly looks better than my tennis racket effort that cost me half a dozen balls into outer space. I’ll look at the local hardware shop next time I’m in town.
Here are a couple of buddies that follow me around when I fly at home:View attachment 2913
My wife and I want to go to Aus so bad! We're doing Spain this upcoming year, but I think Aus. is next. I swear I'd move out in a heartbeat ❤️

My wife and I want to go to Aus so bad! We're doing Spain this upcoming year, but I think Aus. is next. I swear I'd move out in a heartbeat ❤️
I’ve no intention of ever moving anywhere else, travelled quit a bit during my time in the armed forces and being a tourist. Having a family of ‘Roos that live around my place, some chooks and the freedom to fly and ride is a rarity indeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax