Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Airplane mode?

tna9001

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just picked up a DJI FPV combo, going through the motions to set it up I was disappointed to find it lacked an Airplane mode like the Mavic I used to have. I fly real airplanes for work and the control stick logic just doesn't make sense. Everyone knows, if you want to go up you pull on something, a yoke or stick in an airplane and a collective in a helicopter, why DJI chooses push up to go up is beyond me.

So, anyway back to my question, I wonder if DJI will include a custom mode or airplane mode in an update, thoughts?

Because you aren't controlling pitch like in a plane. You're controlling altitude.

Switch to manual mode (where you control pitch) and pulling back on the stick will pitch your nose up.

My Dji Fpv is piloted with the Motion Controller.
May work out for you.
Search Youtube for more demo's

The Mavic 1 was the first and last DJI model to have this Airplane mode 5 years ago.
In N/S modes you're controlling the direction of movement i.e. positioning the camera, not "flying" the aircraft.
In M mode you'll be flying it for real, with the same controls as a helicopter.

Reactions: okw
As above,
if you want an airplane feel, then definitely practice and go to manual mode - it’s very likely what you are after.

motion controller is also a different feel but very freeing.

Or better yet, pick yourself up an RC airplane and put an FPV camera on it. Then you'll have "airplane mode" for real. No vertical takeoff and landing.

Wait..Are you saying if i pull back on the the stick, the nose goes down in flight?
im picking my drone up tomorrow and if thats the case, its going to take some getting used to..

Ahh. Your talking about the control not the motion controller

Last edited:
Wait..Are you saying if i pull back on the the stick, the nose goes down in flight?
im picking my drone up tomorrow and if thats the case, its going to take some getting used to..
In normal and sport the left stick controls altitude for up down and the right stick controls forwards and back. (Push up for forward)
In manual mode left stick is throttle for up down and pitch on right stick (stick up to pitch the nose down).

The Mavic 1 was the first and last DJI model to have this Airplane mode 5 years ago.
In N/S modes you're controlling the direction of movement i.e. positioning the camera, not "flying" the aircraft.
In M mode you'll be flying it for real, with the same controls as a helicopter.
Oh, I strongly disagree (first time I can remember disagreeing with Kilrah :oops: ? ).

While there are all sorts of nannies in place, unless you exceed safety parameters, they're largely irrelevant.

When in N/S modes, you are truly flying and controlling the aircraft, just like in manual. Main difference is you're flying in angle mode, rather than rate mode.

This is just two different ways of mapping stick movement/position to aircraft attitude.

No.

When have you been in an airplane that operated that way? Everyone I've ever flown has pitched up when pulling the yoke or stick back toward me.

No plane that operated the way you describe could pass inspection. Also, it would likely crash pretty soon due to a confused pilot.

Drones pitch negative ("nose" up) when the stick is pulled back. With a fixed camera, that's what you would see.

In normal and sport the left stick controls altitude for up down and the right stick controls forwards and back. (Push up for forward)
In manual mode left stick is throttle for up down and pitch on right stick (stick up to pitch the nose down).
Quads move forward/back by setting the pitch of the aircraft.

Left stick does not control altitude, just as right stick does not control position. Rather, it controls thrust, which may cause you to rise or fall in altitude.

It's the altitude hold feature of the Flight Controller that makes it effectively an altitude control.

When in N/S modes, you are truly flying and controlling the aircraft, just like in manual. Main difference is you're flying in angle mode, rather than rate mode.

This is just two different ways of mapping stick movement/position to aircraft attitude.
In N/S mode the sticks control position, not attitude. This is just like all the other DJI drones when operating in GPS_ATTI mode. E.g., if the sticks are neutral the FC adjusts roll, pitch, throttle and yaw to maintain a stationary position. The FPV's tilt inclination and direction is set to lean the FPV into the wind.

No.

When have you been in an airplane that operated that way? Everyone I've ever flown has pitched up when pulling the yoke or stick back toward me.

No plane that operated the way you describe could pass inspection. Also, it would likely crash pretty soon due to a confused pilot.

Drones pitch negative ("nose" up) when the stick is pulled back. With a fixed camera, that's what you would see.
Yes I understand that. I’ve been a real pilot, military and civilian for 40 years.
I was asking if this is what you were saying the controls on the FPV were. I thought you were talking about the motion controller but the corrected myself when I realise you were talking about the normal Rc controller. As someone has already told you, normal control of a quad is not pitch control but yaw, directional and height adjust

Yes I corrected myself in next post. I thought he was talking about the motion controller

Not at all. That would be ATTI (not even exactly because vario-based throttle control), but that's been removed from all recent DJI aircraft (unless you do parameter modding). P mode (GPS) that we have (and sport, which is just the same with faster setpoints) hides all the "flying" part from you. Your sticks basically move the camera up/down, turn it left/right and translate it over the ground at a given set speed. All influence from wind, throttle control requirements etc i.e. the flying is entirely removed.

Quads move forward/back by setting the pitch of the aircraft.

Left stick does not control altitude, just as right stick does not control position. Rather, it controls thrust, which may cause you to rise or fall in altitude.

It's the altitude hold feature of the Flight Controller that makes it effectively an altitude control.

That is like saying your cruise control on your car doesn't control your speed, it uses the acceleration from your engine to get you to a certain speed.

It is kind of correct but totally misses the point.

In S/P mode, you press up to go up, you let go of the stick to stop going up. You press down to go down, and let go to stop. No wind or updraft etc is going to change your altitude after, the drone will hold the position. You are literally setting altitude with a stick. Sure the drone uses throttle control to do that, but again, totally misses the point.

Reactions: okw and Kilrah
In N/S mode the sticks control position, not attitude.
No, they do not. In fact, the pitch/roll/yaw controls always directly control attitude.

Yaw is always controlling the rate (deg/sec), and in Manual, so do pitch/roll.

In N/S modes, the pitch/roll stick instead control the angle of the respective aircraft orientation. The roll or pitch angle follows the stick proportionally.

The flight controller pays absolutely no attention at all to position in response to stick inputs.

When you move your pitch stick forward 50% does your drone move to some position, stop, and hold in that position while you hold the stick deflection? That would be controlling POSITION.

Rather, the pitch ANGLE follows the stick position. While the aircraft position will change, it will continue to move until the ANGLE of the drone's attitude returns to level.

This is what Betaflight (and, well, everyone) calls "ANGLE" mode. It's precisely how a home-built quad behaves.

No, they do not. In fact, the pitch/roll/yaw controls always directly control attitude.

Yaw is always controlling the rate (deg/sec), and in Manual, so do pitch/roll.

In N/S modes, the pitch/roll stick instead control the angle of the respective aircraft orientation. The roll or pitch angle follows the stick proportionally.

The flight controller pays absolutely no attention at all to position in response to stick inputs.

When you move your pitch stick forward 50% does your drone move to some position, stop, and hold in that position while you hold the stick deflection? That would be controlling POSITION.

Rather, the pitch ANGLE follows the stick position. While the aircraft position will change, it will continue to move until the ANGLE of the drone's attitude returns to level.

This is what Betaflight (and, well, everyone) calls "ANGLE" mode. It's precisely how a home-built quad behaves.
Maybe I should have said that, in N/S mode, the sticks control velocity. Which, then controls position. Roll, throttle and pitch control 'spatial' velocity while yaw controls angular velocity.

If "the flight controller pays absolutely no attention at all to position in response to stick inputs" how is it possible that the FPV holds position in a strong wind and control inputs neutral?

Not at all. That would be ATTI (not even exactly because vario-based throttle control), but that's been removed from all recent DJI aircraft (unless you do parameter modding). P mode (GPS) that we have (and sport, which is just the same with faster setpoints) hides all the "flying" part from you. Your sticks basically move the camera up/down, turn it left/right and translate it over the ground at a given set speed. All influence from wind, throttle control requirements etc i.e. the flying is entirely removed.
Still strongly disagree.

If your interpretation of these behaviors is correct, then a home-built with gps is configured in angle mode with position hold, how has having position hold changed the control dynamics so that what I understand to be angle mode isn't any more? How is the drone going to respond differently to stick input to move it, just because the FC takes over to hold position when I'm NOT giving control inputs?

Please be specific regarding control input, and resulting behavior of the aircraft. This topic has nothing to do with the camera. it's about the relationship between control inputs and aircraft response. P and ATTI modes operate in angle mode. ATTI differs in disabling position hold.

If you still disagree, please explain without referring to the camera. You know a lot more about this than I do, you are probably one of the people I respect the most around here, but honestly your explanations in this thread haven't helped understanding.

In my personal experience, my iFlight A85 tinywhoop flies in angle mode EXACTLY like my Mavic Pro in ATTI mode. Exactly the same, except one, single, control: Height. Add a barometer, and in angle mode on the A85 it will be identical to the M2P (and my P3) in ATTI.

Where, specifically, am wrong?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax