Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Another comparison video, Gyroflow vs on-board stabilization

Barbara

Reaction score
Wanted to do a better comparison (than my earlier version) of the DJI camera stabilization vs the Gyroflow stabilization software.

I flew the same course several times using each of the Avata's camera stability modes, Rock Steady, Horizon Steady and with EIS Off. I then post processed the gyro data version using Gyroflow with settings to simulate both the Rock Steady and Horizon Steady modes.

I put it all together, added a little special sauce, and I here's the video.

Disclaimer, I'm not the best pilot nor the most knowledgeable videographer by any stretch. I flew in Normal mode, albeit at full throttle, mostly. Also I used default settings in the gyroflow software. There are many options yet to explore.

My personal conclusions, I could not see a significant difference between the two stabilization methods. If you know which you want, use the DJI version, it's simpler. One advantage I can see in recording the video "unstabilized" is that I can decide to process the video as Rock Steady or Horizon Steady, or both, as I wish.

Hard to tell the difference. What is involved to use Gyroflow? How much time is involved?

Hard to tell the difference. What is involved to use Gyroflow? How much time is involved?
Gyroflow is really quite simple to use. Drag and drop the video file. (I'm using a PC) The software detects that it's source is the DJI Avata and it applies the appropriate lens corrections and gyro data automatically. The only thing you need to do is select whether or not to lock the horizon (horizon Steady) or not and set your export parameter. It can take a while to render, depending on how fast your processor is.

There are many settings you could fiddle with, should you wish. I've really just used defaults, for now.

If you do decide to try it, let me know what you think.

Reactions: needelmanDP
I am now flying without stabilzation by default (set to Wide) as required by Gyroflow. Why? During a single flight it's normal for me to want to use some footage that involves the horizon tilting as one turns the drone. In other places I may want a smooth, horizon steady view. Gyroflow allows me to "cut" a section with tilt and then take another area of the video and smooth it out with a steady horizon. Gyroflow gives me a great deal more control over the final video and provides more choices so now it is my go-to solution. Sometimes I know what I'm going to film should be horizon steady and then I can simply do that and avoid the whole Gyroflow thing but it's a great option to have with the Avata.

Last edited:
I switched back to built-in stab as I'm often showing footage shortly after flying, unstabilized footage looks crud, and Gyroflow would take ages on my laptop vs the desktop when I'm at home.

Reactions: Barbara
I switched back to built-in stab as I'm often showing footage shortly after flying, unstabilized footage looks crud, and Gyroflow would take ages on my laptop vs the desktop when I'm at home.
Ah....so you're saying not everyone has to process their video the same way?? Interesting idea! :)

Since the Avata can process stabilization in real-time while recording, there shouldn't be any difficult obstacle in stabilizing playback directly from the drone transmitted over O3+ @810p or 1080p for a lower resolution "preview".

Would be nice to store raw, unstabilized footage on the drone, then preview it on an attached smartphone running DJI Fly. l can't see any lack of the necessary hardware present to do it, a matter of programming (and not insignificant).

The other issue would be cooling.

I guess it would depend on the feel you want from the video. If you want an FPV feel (banking corners) I like Rock Steady (1) and GyroFlow (2). Of course if you don't want the banking turns then Horizon Steady IMHO.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone