Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Audience Mode Quality

BudWalker

Reaction score
I'm having trouble using a 2nd Goggles V2 in Audience mode. No problem configuring them but the video can become very pixelated to the point of being useless. The pixels are large - each block is 1/64 to 1/32 of the entire screen. Has anybody had this happen and/or know how to fix it.
1. The firmware is up to date.
2. In general terms the pixelation occurs on and off for about half the flight. Occasionally, there won't be any problem for 4 or 5 minutes. It seems random to me.
3. Flights are in a remote location so the chance of some kind of interference is low.
4. I've switched Goggle roles. Primary Goggles are configured to be in Audience mode and then the 2nd Goggles are configured to be the primary. No difference - the now Audience mode Goggles still has the pixelation problem.
5. I chatted with DJI support with a guy who seemed to know what he was doing. He claims the Audience mode Goggles has the video link with the primary Goggles not the drone itself. Seems right to me except I see some posts over on forum.dji.com claiming the link is between the Audience mode Goggles and the drone itself. Also, the Audience mode Goggles will display airspace warnings that have to be dismissed even after the warnings have been dismissed on the primary Goggles. Anybody know which it is?
6. I tried reducing the bandwidth of the video between the drone and the primary Goggles thinking that there would be less bandwidth required for the primary/2nd link. Didn't make any difference.

Yep same and have seen other reports of it. It's just poorly implemented.

There is something about having to be in 25 mps. 50 will cause problems in audience mode.

There is something about having to be in 25 mps. 50 will cause problems in audience mode.
I also saw that. That's why I tried reducing the bandwidth.

6. I tried reducing the bandwidth of the video between the drone and the primary Goggles thinking that there would be less bandwidth required for the primary/2nd link. Didn't make any difference.

To clarify, are you talking of audience mode in aur unit mode or FPV drone mode? Assumed FPV drone.

Yep same and have seen other reports of it. It's just poorly implemented.
Do you have any idea about the video link between the primary and 2nd is implemented?

I'm not aware of being able to change the downlink bitrate in FPV drone mode?

Nope...
It's in the Transmission settings. I set it to manual and then selected a 10 Mbs instead of 20 or 40 (I think).The bitrate was definitely less as parts of the image with a lot of fine detail blurred. What do you mean by "FPV drone mode"? I think the settings I described are unrelated to Normal vs Sport vs Manual mode.

Ah yes true, haven't experimented much with manual transmission settings.

I meant "not the Air unit mode". @cootertwo's post mistook you as being in Air unit mode, that's where there are 25/50Mbps modes and there's also an Audience mode but it's a totally different thing.

Reactions: BudWalker
I noticed something today that could be significant. I was wearing the Audience mode goggles and could hear what must be the fan noise coming from the goggles. The fan got louder every time the pixelation started. I didn't notice this before today since this is the first time I wore the Audience mode Goggles. I'll confirm this effect next time I fly.

Has anybody noticed the Goggles fan running at different speeds?

Yes I have felt it change speed quite a few times (in main goggles mode)

I'm not 100% sure it was the Audience mode goggles fan. It might have been the primary goggles which were sitting on a table next to me. It seems more likely to have been the primary goggles though as I expect there is a lot more processing happening in the primary goggles. I'm supposing that a temperature threshold being exceeded causes the higher fan speed. And possibly less processing cycles being allocated for the Audience/primary video link.

I'm having trouble using a 2nd Goggles V2 in Audience mode. No problem configuring them but the video can become very pixelated to the point of being useless. The pixels are large - each block is 1/64 to 1/32 of the entire screen. Has anybody had this happen and/or know how to fix it.
1. The firmware is up to date.
2. In general terms the pixelation occurs on and off for about half the flight. Occasionally, there won't be any problem for 4 or 5 minutes. It seems random to me.
3. Flights are in a remote location so the chance of some kind of interference is low.
4. I've switched Goggle roles. Primary Goggles are configured to be in Audience mode and then the 2nd Goggles are configured to be the primary. No difference - the now Audience mode Goggles still has the pixelation problem.
5. I chatted with DJI support with a guy who seemed to know what he was doing. He claims the Audience mode Goggles has the video link with the primary Goggles not the drone itself. Seems right to me except I see some posts over on forum.dji.com claiming the link is between the Audience mode Goggles and the drone itself. Also, the Audience mode Goggles will display airspace warnings that have to be dismissed even after the warnings have been dismissed on the primary Goggles. Anybody know which it is?
I was experiencing bad blocky pixelatin in a second set of goggles monitoring the main pilot set in Audience Mode. If you are using the power hack on your main set of goggles, make sure to reduce the power output to 700mW or less. This completely solved the problem which had been frustrating me for over a year.

I was experiencing bad blocky pixelatin in a second set of goggles monitoring the main pilot set in Audience Mode. If you are using the power hack on your main set of goggles, make sure to reduce the power output to 700mW or less. This completely solved the problem which had been frustrating me for over a year.
I'm not using the power hack but my understanding is that it won't make any difference since I fly in the United States? That said, are you suggesting that I reduce the power output to 700 mW in the Goggles? I can't see how that can be changed. Any idea why that would work?

DJI's explanation about Audience mode is inconsistent. Some DJIers claim the video link is between the primary and secondary goggles. While others claim the link is between the drone and the secondary goggles. I'm currently assuming it's the latter. I'm thinking the drone's limited bandwidth for the video link is allocated first to the primary goggles and any remaining bandwidth is allocated to the secondary goggles. I've installed this antenna mod
ORT Digieyes V2 Dual Patch Antenna For DJI
on both the primary and secondary goggles. The idea being that increased gain will reduce bandwidth requirements and more bandwidth will be allocated to the secondary goggles. I need to do a lot more testing but there does seem to be a significant improvement.

We are talking of audience mode in DJI FPV Drone mode. Even if things are called the same they are mostly different from Air Unit mode and there is no power setting.

We are talking of audience mode in DJI FPV Drone mode. Even if things are called the same they are mostly different from Air Unit mode and there is no power setting.
I'm guessing here. The pixelation stops when the power output is restricted to 700 mW in the Air Unit mode. Maybe that's because interference is generated when the power output > 700 mW.

The same may be true for DJI FPV Drone mode. The transmitter could be switching between higher and lower output with the fan being faster at the higher power output. A higher antenna gain would reduce the necessity of switching to a higher power.

Just a theory

Sorry for the cryptic post on my part. I was referring to the main pilot set of goggles having the power hack that allows transmission at 1000mW or 1200mW as discribed by Bardwell and others. When operating the main pilot set at either of these settings I was experiencing blocky pixelation and streaks in the video of a second set of goggles set to Audience Mode. When reducing the power of the main pilot set to 700mW or less the audience mode video is completely free of distortion. I tried this with various sets of V1 and V2 goggles and got consistent results.
Thanks,
R

Sorry for the cryptic post on my part. I was referring to the main pilot set of goggles having the power hack that allows transmission at 1000mW or 1200mW as discribed by Bardwell and others. When operating the main pilot set at either of these settings I was experiencing blocky pixelation and streaks in the video of a second set of goggles set to Audience Mode. When reducing the power of the main pilot set to 700mW or less the audience mode video is completely free of distortion. I tried this with various sets of V1 and V2 goggles and got consistent results.
Thanks,
R
I'm a little confused. Is there a way to set the power output of the main pilot goggles operating in DJI FPV Drone mode? I think @Kilrah 's point is that this can only be done in Air Unit mode.

Yes we got that, but I was just informing you that your post is all about the Air unit while we are discussing the DJI FPV drone which is a bit different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya