Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Avata costs vs getting started from scratch?

Xitor

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of complaints that the Avata is expensive, but I'm wondering what's the cost difference it you're starting from scratch? Controller, Camera, drone, goggles, etc. for Avata, vs comparable set up? In my defense I never bought a Harley, so an Avata seems like a much more reasonable personal splurge item.

With DIY you'd get away with less than half the cost, BUT it's hard to spec a "comparable setup" since a lot of the Avata's qualities are simply not an option on DIY stuff. Also depends on whether the goal is to fly or if spending hours/days adjusting/tweaking things is desired, if quality recordings are desired etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbara and Xitor
I've seen a lot of complaints that the Avata is expensive, but I'm wondering what's the cost difference it you're starting from scratch? Controller, Camera, drone, goggles, etc. for Avata, vs comparable set up? In my defense I never bought a Harley, so an Avata seems like a much more reasonable personal splurge item.
I'm new to FPV, having bought my Avata just a week or so ago. I once considered buying an FPV from DJI but I could see a $2000 expense for the project. Now, with the Avata I see a $2000 expense to complete the project the way I think it should be. It's just the way it goes. I cannot get into a project and take shortcuts or scrimp on details.

Reactions: Xitor
There are some significant features that, if necessary to be comparable will bring the cost of a DIY setup pretty close. Things that come to mind are the quality of the digital VTX system, which will require DJI, on-board recording, support for some sort of Motion Controller, etc.

Given what features one specs from the Avata as required, the Avata may have no equivalent DIY alternative possible.

Generally, the Avata is at the top of it's class in terms of features and capability. It would be very hard to duplicate DIY for less, IMO.

I'd add that DJI's entire RTH system, tuned and perfected over a decade, should not be undervalued in consideration. The Avata can be treated like any other DJI drone while exploring.

While a DIY FPV drone can be equipped with a compass/GPS module, the Failsafe Return feature of Betaflight is a poor shadow of RTH, and there's no intelligent battery feature.

It gets way less attention than other feature comparisons, but in my opinion having DJI RTH is one of the best features of the FPV and Avata compared to their DIY cousins.

Even experienced DIY FPV pilots make mistakes, and crash or lose drones that DJI RTH would have saved them from.

Reactions: Barbara and Xitor
I'd add that DJI's entire RTH system, tuned and perfected over a decade, should not be undervalued in consideration. The Avata can be treated like any other DJI drone while exploring.

While a DIY FPV drone can be equipped with a compass/GPS module, the Failsafe Return feature of Betaflight is a poor shadow of RTH, and there's no intelligent battery feature.

It gets way less attention than other feature comparisons, but in my opinion having DJI RTH is one of the best features of the FPV and Avata compared to their DIY cousins.

Even experienced DIY FPV pilots make mistakes, and crash or lose drones that DJI RTH would have saved them from.
This makes me even happier I got the AVATA.

Word!

No downward cameras providing VPS so you can truly stop.

EDIT: That wasn't clear... the VPS system on the Avata makes it possible to stop and hold position very precisely, something near impossible to implement DIY cheaply.

Indoors and out, this makes flying the Avata much easier and controllable with precision. As I said, don't underestimate the value in being able to STOP.

Oh, and that brake feature... 🥰

Last edited:
I watched a video on YouTube last week (Ready Set Drone) where the presenter was comparing the cost of an DJI FPV and Avata with building a similar size FPV drone from scratch. Aside from all the reasons posted above the DJI FPV and Avata came out much cheaper than a DIY FPV. Most of the DIY builds ended up around $2000US and then you had to add the time and effort to build and make it all work together. You could probably get the cost down some by ordering cheaper Chinese parts or some used parts though.

I took the plunge into FPV with the Avata and started having a blast with it right away. As I get more experienced with it I may want to try building one from scratch but as a beginner you can't beat the convenience and features in the DJI models.

Last edited:
I watched a video on YouTube last week (Ready Set Drone) where the presenter was comparing the cost of an DJI FPV and Avata with building a similar size FPV drone from scratch. Aside from all the reasons posted above the DJI FPV and Avata came out much cheaper than a DIY FPV. Most of the DIY builds ended up around $2000US and then you had to add the time and effort to build and make it all work together. You could probably get the cost down some by ordering cheaper Chinese parts or some used parts though.

I took the plunge into FPV with the Avata and started having a blast with it right away. As I get more experienced with it I may want to try building one from scratch but as a beginner you can't beat the convenience and features in the DJI models.
Wow that was a complete video. That along with all the good feedback here has me on board. Its just a question of when. Do I order now or cross my fingers and hope for a black friday / cyber monday discount.

Wow that was a complete video. That along with all the good feedback here has me on board. Its just a question of when. Do I order now or cross my fingers and hope for a black friday / cyber monday discount.
You'll save money, bur ruin a lot of shirts with months of drooling 😁

• Haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz