Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Avata - Processor heats up and Avata shuts itself down!

TVQ

Reaction score
Avata Processor heats up and Avata shuts itself down. Has anyone had this happen? Seems to occur when the Avata sits for a few minutes without flying. You do get warnings in the goggles about a minute before it shuts down, but I worry this will happen while flying on a hot day?

Reactions: Texas Red
I've never had this happen I've also never let the drone sit to heat up. Here's the operating temperature per DJI. If you stay in those bounds you should be safe to fly.

Operating Temperature:
  • -10° to 40° C (14° to 104° F)

Avata Processor heats up and Avata shuts itself down. Has anyone had this happen? Seems to occur when the Avata sits for a few minutes without flying. You do get warnings in the goggles about a minute before it shuts down, but I worry this will happen while flying on a hot day?
I had the warning a few times when I first got my Avata. The first time was when I had powered everything up and was going through the pairing and activation process and then just going through the menus to familiarize myself via the goggles. Happened again later when I was again perusing the menus and making changes to various settings. Each time, I had had the drone just sitting idle for several minutes when I got the warning.

As the drone has no internal fan, I believe it is the lack of airflow that causes the overheating if the drone is sitting idle while powered on. Now, I take off and hoover as I make any adjustments and have not received the overheating warning. Not sure about flying on a really hot day, but I think you would still get enough cooling once airborn so long as you stay within the specified ambient temperature limits.

Not surprising, defective, nor unusual for a whoop.

The DJI digital VTX, in particular, overheats easily when sitting still.

Just blow a fan on it while sitting idle. Don't have a fan? turn your furnace off, turn on the furnace fan, set the Avata on a blowing vent.

If you forget to turn your furnace back on, you'll be reminded if it matters 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbara
The Mavic Minis also overheat when idle for a while since they also have no fan. The props make for good fans when they're running, so no issues in flight.

Too bad the software won't let you do anything with the motors idling. Maybe, for the Avata at least given the ducts, can add an "Idle Mode" where it spins the props just fast enough to keep the thing from overheating, but if you got your fingers in there, a sting but no injury. 🫣

Documentation I read somewhere (?) said about 10 minutes and it will **** down because of a lack of cooling. It can really interfere with trouble shooting problems on the ground.

Thanks for your replies. I like the idea of having an idle mode that spins the props just fast enough to cool the electronics.

Yes I had it happen on a very low battery return. At about 9% the Drone started to land at the edge of some trees I lost sight of it and it shut down on high temp. It had direct sunlight on it and the ambient was 86F. I did use find my drone and walked right to it. Note: I had to hook my goggles to my iPhone to find my drone

The Mini 3 is the same. No internal fan so BOOM! she goes down! (figuratively speaking). Normal

I have had this problem , so I thought it uses the props and air cooling duct to cool the processor so Ill just
start the props idling and it should stay cool , wrong you can't change anything in the menu while the props
are on . DJI should of spent a little more time getting things right on this one .

It’s a weight saving thing. You can second guess the engineering if you want but my simple solution was to buy a small fan. Cheap and effective.

What’s your ambient temperature?

I fly in 80-90 degree ambient temperatures in Texas. Only time I’ve seen a temperature warning was leaving drone and goggles in direct sunlight. Manual has the operating temp range of all components. My two cents 🥸

I have had this problem , so I thought it uses the props and air cooling duct to cool the processor so Ill just
start the props idling and it should stay cool , wrong you can't change anything in the menu while the props
are on . DJI should of spent a little more time getting things right on this one .
Unfortunately, DJI didn't get anything wrong here. Overheating while powered up making adjustments on the ground is inherent in the whoop design. take the battery out, carefully examine the physical design and see if you can do better.

Then share your ideas so we can viciously tear them apart and tell you how wrong you are 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Seriously, it's design constraints. Every cinewhoop I've had has had overheating problems on the ground.

Unfortunately, DJI didn't get anything wrong here. Overheating while powered up making adjustments on the ground is inherent in the whoop design. take the battery out, carefully examine the physical design and see if you can do better.

Then share your ideas so we can viciously tear them apart and tell you how wrong you are 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Seriously, it's design constraints. Every cinewhoop I've had has had overheating problems on the ground.
Indeed. After getting the warning a couple of times when I first got the Avata, I began just taking off and making the adjustments I needed while hovering. No more warnings, and yes, I realize it reduces flying time. That's what my extra batteries are for. Besides, I've gotten faster at making any necessary adjustments and configuration settings.

Barbara, I have three batteries and rarely burn all three fully. Maybe that's you too.

Like you, I make settings adjustments while hovering. If it takes too long, I land and swap in a fresh one and then take off and fly. The partially depleted battery is there if I need a little more, but more often than not, I don't end up using it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax