Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Black Screen/No OSD on initial build

Dimfrop

Reaction score
Building my first FPV drone and still in the build phase. I've connected all the core components, but when I try and test the FPV system I get a solid black screen. I've tried everything I can think of:

- Bought two new FPV cams (PAL&NTSC), but no change

- Connected the yellow video wire directly to the Vtx in wire

- Tried a different 5V/GND on the FC and also connected the yellow CAM wire to the yellow VTX in wire

I'm not getting any OSD either on my FPV goggles, but also not sure if it's just too early because I haven't flashed anything to my FC yet (not sure if I should get this anyway), I was going to do it after the build was completed.

My components are (Included pictures below and the wiring diagrams I have been using)

- BetaFPV VR01 goggles

- Diatone Mamba F405 DJI Stack - F50 50A 3-6S 4-in-1 ESC (Note: As far as I'm aware, this should be compatible with a non-DJI system as there is a separate input on the FC for the DJI system)

- Mateksys 5.8GHz Vtx-mini (Tried with included antenna and also Foxeer 5.8G Lollipop 3 2.5DBi Omni Antenna). Haven't been able to attach non-stock anntenae to my goggles yet. Lack the proper adapters

- Foxeer 1200TVL Razer / Fatshark 900TVL WDR NTSC & PAL

As far as I can tell, the goggles are finding the correct channel and picking up a signal. There is a full signal bar and a solid black screen when on the channel that correlates with the VTX.

I'm not sure what else I can do to troubleshoot other than buy all new components which is difficult here in Australia. I've got a replacement FC/ESC stack coming tomorrow, but it's just the same model.

Here is how I've wired it:

VTX -
Wiring guide: Video Transmitter 5.8G VTX-mini, 8S 800mW – Matek Systems

FC -My wiring:
Wiring Guide: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-0acb-4a1c-ba28-ca84a12c73d8.jpg?v=1584518057

- Note: the FC0 blue LED at the top flashes on and off when its plugged in. I have no idea what this light means. All the other lights on the FC are on solid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely out of ideas and am reluctant to just keep changing parts at random.

I've got a new FC coming today, but I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with the Vidin on the Vtx as even when I bypass the FC I get solid black screen. Is there an alternate pad I can solder the vid wire to, that would double as a Vidin. There's a PINIO pad and also onthe opposite side there's an Rx, but I'm not sure either of them would work.

Last edited:
I'm just guessing here but I see DJI on the FC board. DJI uses a digital camera system and the cameras you have listed are analog. I don't see DJI on the VTX board but if they came as a stack the VTX may need a digital input..
EDIT: Just looked at the wiring diagram and see it supports both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just guessing here but I see DJI on the FC board. DJI uses a digital camera system and the cameras you have listed are analog. I don't see DJI on the VTX board but if they came as a stack the VTX may need a digital input..
EDIT: Just looked at the wiring diagram and see it supports both.

Just saw your edit. Yeah, I think using the top pads it should work with my analogue system

It looks like your VTX input should be 6-36Vdc. If you are running 5vdc to it, will turn on but you won't get a picture because it doesn't have enough power to transmit video signal. Try running power lead straight from your battery power pad of FC.

It looks like your VTX input should be 6-36Vdc. If you are running 5vdc to it, will turn on but you won't get a picture because it doesn't have enough power to transmit video signal. Try running power lead straight from your battery power pad of FC.
According to the diagrams, the VTX is on a 9v pad.

Wait. If it seems like you are getting a response in the goggles, but a black screen you could be on the wrong channel. Try auto searching with the goggles to see if it finds a channel with a clear picture. But usually, if you have a black screen on the proper channel, it is the camera. I've had bad experiences with Foxeer cameras, and is the reason I don't buy them anymore. I've had two micro cameras brand new out of the box with black screens, no video. Try a Runcam. They're the most reliable FPV cameras I've used. Cost a little more, but worth it!

Reactions: Deleted member 3641
@Dimfrop You did not mention if you connected a battery while testing. It would require one as usb does not have a high enough voltage to power the vtx.
Also, have you tried different channels on the vtx and goggles? Try matching the goggles to say A-1 on the vtx.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput