Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Bought DJI FPV System. Now want another drone to practice with

Insane123

Reaction score
Hey all,

DJI FPV is my first FPV drone, and obviously I have the goggles and controller from it.

Am I right in saying that the controller and goggles are backwards compatible with the DJI Air unit?

Can I purchase another carbon fibre drone with Air unit and it will all link up and work with my goggles V2 and Controller?

If so, recommendations for a ready to fly option?

Thanks,
Dan

Ivee been looking into this pretty seriously...

Goggles - Yes... Controller - No :( (*)
( also bare in mind you will need batteries and a battery charger , as well as drone)

### drone

as to which drone ...
I think it partly depends on where you want to fly it, and in what role.

many recommend smaller drones for learning on. these can be really cheap.
... so if its just practice, incl indoor flying - this could be the best way.

but for me, I want to fly outside where it could be windy so thats abit of a non-starter, also I want something that as my skills develop will still be useful to me.

my current thoughts are :

the new emax babyhawk 2 HD,
this is 3.5" which is a bit small - but the appeal is in < 250g ,pretty quiet
I think it could really compliment the DJI FPV well, as its almost everything the DJI is not :)

5" quad, there are a ton of ready to fly.
iFlight Nazgul HD is really popular.
however, Ive been looking at the Diatone Roma F5 HD

### Controller

so as above you unfortunately need a controller
the easy option, is to buy the DJI Controller v1, but is 300+ euros/dollars :(
this will then connect to air unit.

the other option is to buy another controller, and add a receiever to the quad.
this can work out a BIT cheaper (but really its still 200 euro/dollars)
e.g.
cheaper frsky transmiter +frsky xm+ receiever = cheapest
radiomaster tx12 + crossfire - nice option with great range.

an issue Ive found is availability in the EU - finding a drone + transmitter + compatible reciever really limits options. (US / UK seem easier)

reality is, drone + controller + batteries is close 750-900 euros...which was a shock to me - and the drone is really only 300-400 euro of that.

of course, once you have this setup - if you want another drone, you are all set to go.
(which i think is why many have multiple drones... ;) )

thats my thougts so far.... but as i say, Im just researching from a similar position as you.

hopefully someone will some experience can chime in with a low cost solution.

----------
(*) there is some hope that an air unit v2 might come out that would be compatible with the v2 controller, but this is pure speculation at the moment.

also note dji recently, discontinued the digital fpv system, and said they were working with a partner (mostly likely caddix) , and there would be an announcement mid-april
though we do not know what that is.... could just be availability of existing products.

Im currently a bit 'on the fence', waiting to see what happens with the air unit... though I'll admit, its totally unclear... so Im finding it hard to decide how long to wait n' see.
I think for now, I'll way till end april, and see how the fpv drone landscape looks then?!

I would hold off another month or two only because DJI engineers have stated in a couple communications that the new radio from the FPV combo will be made to support the upcoming air unit v2. Unless you are in a real hurry to get another drone, I'd keep enjoying your DJI FPV while you wait for a little bit. There are also a slew of new drones slated for release in May and June from the major manufacturers. I suspect this timing might be aligned with a v2 air unit release.

Reactions: A.O. and JoostGT3
Hey all,

DJI FPV is my first FPV drone, and obviously I have the goggles and controller from it.

Am I right in saying that the controller and goggles are backwards compatible with the DJI Air unit?

Can I purchase another carbon fibre drone with Air unit and it will all link up and work with my goggles V2 and Controller?

If so, recommendations for a ready to fly option?

Thanks,
Dan
Funny, since I don't want to break the DJI I've been taking my 3 inch out because it doesn't hurt me so much to have it rolling on the floor (probably laughing at me) rather than the DJI or any of my air/cadxx ones LOL, ironic. Get the DJI because it's "easier to learn" on than on a true macro bird and it motivates me to get off my butt and fly the "hard" ones.

I too would love to find a small FPV/acro drone I could fly with the DJI goggles and controller, then I wouldn't have to get used to a whole new set up! Just switch between drones and rock and roll

I too would love to find a small FPV/acro drone I could fly with the DJI goggles and controller, then I wouldn't have to get used to a whole new set up! Just switch between drones and rock and roll
THISSSS! I guess we're just bitten by the FPV bug mate!

unfortunately currently going from the DJI fpv drone to the air or vista units requires re binding every time, or so Im understands its notas second nature as you would hope, unless you keep 2 goggles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax