Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Custom 3d printed airframes, covers, bodies and chasis - Work with a 3d print designer - Is there a demand for this service in the FPV racing market?

Art Hob

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an industrial designer, who specializes in product development in custom fabrication with a specialty in 3d printing. I design prototypes and other limited production pieces for products, models, props, costumes and more. I reverse engineer existing components from developers and then integrate 3d design with those pieces to create custom frames and housings using 3d printing.

I am developing a drone frame that can be entirely 3d printed, with aesthetics in mind, think of an aerodynamic shell with ribbing inside and slots for pcb inserts and clips for wires, all built into the print.

I regularly see racing drones and other FPV designs that are open electronics and wires, with obvious considerations for weight. However, some designs are also 3d printed, and I wanted to challenge myself to design a frame that allows the flyer to style and encase their drone in a shell that makes FPV less of a hacker DIY aesthetic and turn it into a Hot Rod aesthetic, while creating an easier assembly experience and reducing the number of components needed to create a frame.

I offer my design services to a variety of clients, and I am looking to create an opportunity into a new product genre.

Based on your experience as pilots who race or go to events, is there a sufficient demand for FPV drone racing 3d print designs? Would the experience of working with a designer and styling your own build with a custom frame be sought after? What limitations in demographic size or technical specs would need to be considered? What kind of service or experience would attract your attention?

I am not a pilot myself, but am keenly interested in building my own, and wanted to offer the design experience of going from a napkin sketch of an idea to a fully realized design to others as well, elevating the standard in FPV racing genre.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Art

Link to my website:

www.hobdendesign.net

Attachments

• Xvein-600x365.jpg
    Xvein-600x365.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 12
Imagine a two pound potato flying through the air at 75-100 mph and smacking into a wall, tree or ground. If you can make something stand up to that without adding weight and inconvenience, you might get some attention. There was a cf enclosed quad made a yr ago and it was sweet but didn't really sell
Very nice design in pic by the way
That being said, there is a small market in hd camera mounts (go pro) and fewer fpv camera mounts. I personally think a mount/hood that incorporates the two aesthetically on a one piece cf frame would be awesome

Last edited:
Reactions: irish-apple
That's awesome. It would last approximately 10-12 seconds in my hands

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax