Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Distance limited to 155' +-

Jimgnv

Reaction score
I got a couple of flights in this morning (2 batts) and noticed two things:

1) Integra goggles - starts up and flies, which is good since I have no phone attached. Would be nice to get the DJI Fly not connected warning off the screen....

2) Flight distance is limited to 50m. I checked the settings and flight distance is set on unlimited. Would like to fly farther than that.......

Appreciate any help/insight!

Thanks,

Jim

I got a couple of flights in this morning (2 batts) and noticed two things:

1) Integra goggles - starts up and flies, which is good since I have no phone attached. Would be nice to get the DJI Fly not connected warning off the screen....

2) Flight distance is limited to 50m. I checked the settings and flight distance is set on unlimited. Would like to fly farther than that.......

Appreciate any help/insight!

Thanks,

Jim
Did you connect the Integra to your phone to activate it, and then bind it to the drone and controller? I had a message on my first flight about the goggles not being bound and that I could only do 5 flights without activation or binding.

My phone won't run the DJI Fly app. I used Assistant 2 on the win pc. Firmware up to date and all equipment activated. I've had more than 5 flights. I went with the integra as it has gps in it so RID compliant. I'm afraid that I've bought a real expensive yard drone......

I like the goggles and the MC 2. I'm wondering if DJI wants the Fly app connection so bad that they've dumbed down the avata without it. They say they're working on getting the app updated to work on the phone I have (galaxy s22, they've only got the app working with up to the s21. Galaxy is already up to the s23.......come on DJI).

Also height limited. I live in N Florida and can't get the drone above the pine and hardwood trees in my yard........

Always something with techno stuff.....lol.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
My phone won't run the DJI Fly app. I used Assistant 2 on the win pc. Firmware up to date and all equipment activated. I've had more than 5 flights. I went with the integra as it has gps in it so RID compliant. I'm afraid that I've bought a real expensive yard drone......

I like the goggles and the MC 2. I'm wondering if DJI wants the Fly app connection so bad that they've dumbed down the avata without it. They say they're working on getting the app updated to work on the phone I have (galaxy s22, they've only got the app working with up to the s21. Galaxy is already up to the s23.......come on DJI).

Also height limited. I live in N Florida and can't get the drone above the pine and hardwood trees in my yard........

Always something with techno stuff.....lol.
I hate having the phone AND battery dangling from the goggles as well. I bought the goggles 2 in Feb of this year because they were smaller than the Goggles V2 (which I still like) that came with the FPV drone. Two weeks ago I bought the MC2 and the update required to use it was not compatilbe with my "Flight phone" - a Note 8. So I had to use my current phone, a Samsung Z Fold 4 which weighs like a brick in my pocket. That was the last straw. I just bought the Integra this past week to get away from having two items tethered to the goggles.
I can attest that the Avata flies fine without a phone attached now. Unfortunately I don't have a fix for your issue though.

I hate having the phone AND battery dangling from the goggles as well. I bought the goggles 2 in Feb of this year because they were smaller than the Goggles V2 (which I still like) that came with the FPV drone. Two weeks ago I bought the MC2 and the update required to use it was not compatilbe with my "Flight phone" - a Note 8. So I had to use my current phone, a Samsung Z Fold 4 which weighs like a brick in my pocket. That was the last straw. I just bought the Integra this past week to get away from having two items tethered to the goggles.
I can attest that the Avata flies fine without a phone attached now. Unfortunately I don't have a fix for your issue though.
So you can fly to height and distance as per choices in the settings with the integra and no phone attached?

My phone won't run the DJI Fly app.
Did you even try it? It might crash at some point but at least allow you to log in.

If not borrow someone's phone for that one-time operation.

So you can fly to height and distance as per choices in the settings with the integra and no phone attached?
Yes, no issues at all with limitations. Did you buy a kit, or are you adding the goggles to an Avata you already own?
I would contact DJI via their chat service for some guidance.

Did you even try it? It might crash at some point but at least allow you to log in.

If not borrow someone's phone for that one-time operation.
Not sure what you mean......firmware up to date and unit activated for integra, mc2 and avata (Assistant 2 on win pc). Is there some other one time operation that needs to be done?

I've gone back and refreshed the firmware as well, just in case there was a bad download. Goodnuff and others indicate that this combination of equipment does not require phone/DJI fly connection (and no one has mentioned these limitations of distance etc I'm getting) so I'm stumped. Appreciate the help.

Went back through the manual, FAQ on DJI site and google search looking for clues. I have a drone that has limitations built in for "beginner" mode and you have to go to normal mode etc to get full operation. I thought maybe normal mode on the avata was a beginner mode but can find no evidence of that. I tried it in sport mode but no difference.

Yes, no issues at all with limitations. Did you buy a kit, or are you adding the goggles to an Avata you already own?
I would contact DJI via their chat service for some guidance.
Kit. Firmware update and activation went fine. Binding all good, got lenses coming in for the goggles (astigmatism). Yes, I'll see if tech support can help. I don't live close to an airport or MOA (we've got quite a few in FL) so I don't believe it's the no-fly/geofence thing going on.

Kit. Firmware update and activation went fine. Binding all good, got lenses coming in for the goggles (astigmatism). Yes, I'll see if tech support can help. I don't live close to an airport or MOA (we've got quite a few in FL) so I don't believe it's the no-fly/geofence thing going on.
See if this offers a solution for you?
Meh, maybe not. I should have watched it first, it seems you've done all of the things it mentions. Try logging out of the fly app and back in? Make sure your profile is up to date? Some of DJI's drones had a beginner mode, if I recall correctly, and you had to manually switch out of that mode on the Fly Ap, but I don't think Avata has that.

Last edited:
Is there some other one time operation that needs to be done?
Yes, the app needs to be connected to the goggles with everything running, and you need to log into your DJI account in the app. Distance/height is restricted until that's done.

(and no one has mentioned these limitations of distance etc I'm getting)
We simply all forgot about it since it's not a common issue to run into when using the stuff normally, it happens in the background with no specific input required.

Not sure what you mean......
I meant did you actually try using the app on your phone, even if it's "not supported" it might still work at least partly / enough to go through that.

Yes, the app needs to be connected to the goggles with everything running, and you need to log into your DJI account in the app. Distance/height is restricted until that's done.

We simply all forgot about it since it's not a common issue to run into when using the stuff normally, it happens in the background with no specific input required.

I meant did you actually try using the app on your phone, even if it's "not supported" it might still work at least partly / enough to go through that.
Thanks for the clarification. I had tried to download the app before I bought the kit but no joy (main reason I went the integra route). The app does not even appear as available for my phone. My wife has the same phone....... my sister in law lives in town and so maybe talk her into downloading the app on her apple phone so I can connect and log in. Fall back would be the neighbor next door. So once I make DJI happy with a one time log in, I'll be free ?!....yippee!

This gives me hope! And more fun than messing with tech support... ;-).

Just got done with a couple of flights a few minutes ago, I tried to convince my wife that this isn't just a toy but a house maintenance tool, inspections, of course, but also was blowing leaves off the roof. This little machine blows some air when easing down the roof valley at 8" agl.....lol.

As an aside, I installed the MasterAirscrew 3 blade props (in red) last night. If the pitch of the sound is lower, it's barely noticeable - definitely the angry bees sound. As to more efficient (iirc they only claim 5% or so), hard to tell but they look cool.
Also, love this mc2 controller. Back in the day, I was a single engine plane pilot and my favorites were the cub and the citabria as they had a stick instead of a yoke. This controller gives me that "i'm flying with a stick" feel. And, hey, I've had 8 or 10 flights weaving around the trees, roof work and messing up in the tree canopy and haven't crashed yet!

Thanks again for your help!

Jim

Thanks for the clarification. I had tried to download the app before I bought the kit but no joy (main reason I went the integra route). The app does not even appear as available for my phone. My wife has the same phone....... my sister in law lives in town and so maybe talk her into downloading the app on her apple phone so I can connect and log in. Fall back would be the neighbor next door. So once I make DJI happy with a one time log in, I'll be free ?!....yippee!

This gives me hope! And more fun than messing with tech support... ;-).

Just got done with a couple of flights a few minutes ago, I tried to convince my wife that this isn't just a toy but a house maintenance tool, inspections, of course, but also was blowing leaves off the roof. This little machine blows some air when easing down the roof valley at 8" agl.....lol.

As an aside, I installed the MasterAirscrew 3 blade props (in red) last night. If the pitch of the sound is lower, it's barely noticeable - definitely the angry bees sound. As to more efficient (iirc they only claim 5% or so), hard to tell but they look cool.
Also, love this mc2 controller. Back in the day, I was a single engine plane pilot and my favorites were the cub and the citabria as they had a stick instead of a yoke. This controller gives me that "i'm flying with a stick" feel. And, hey, I've had 8 or 10 flights weaving around the trees, roof work and messing up in the tree canopy and haven't crashed yet!

Thanks again for your help!

Jim
Jim are you trying to download the app from the Google store? It needs to be downloaded from DJI, not the app store.
You may have covered this already.

Jim are you trying to download the app from the Google store? It needs to be downloaded from DJI, not the app store.
You may have covered this already.
I think I tried both but will double check on the DJI download.

I do have arrangements with my sis in law. She's dl'ing the fly app on her phone and we're visiting her this afternoon......fingers crossed.

Final update on this subject:

Used my sister in law's phone to bind the equipment to my DJI account and the distance and height restrictions are gone!

Not sure why this extra step is needed after updating firmware and activating to my DJI account on the PC through the Assistant 2 app but it is what it is.

Should have the prescription lenses from HonsVR in a few days and will be fully ready to fly.

Thanks for the help!

Jim

Final update on this subject:

Used my sister in law's phone to bind the equipment to my DJI account and the distance and height restrictions are gone!

Not sure why this extra step is needed after updating firmware and activating to my DJI account on the PC through the Assistant 2 app but it is what it is.
Theft protection.

Until you log in and bind the drone to your account, DJI (and the drone) doesn't know you're the owner.

Now, if it gets stolen it can essentially be disabled (not exactly but it makes the point) and no one will be able to bind it to a different account.

If you sell it it's important you unbind it from your account before handing it over.

Theft protection.

Until you log in and bind the drone to your account, DJI (and the drone) doesn't know you're the owner.

Now, if it gets stolen it can essentially be disabled (not exactly but it makes the point) and no one will be able to bind it to a different account.

If you sell it it's important you unbind it from your account before handing it over.
Gotcha. I'm just surprised that doesn't occur when activated through the Assistant 2 app. Thanks for the clarification.

Gotcha. I'm just surprised that doesn't occur when activated through the Assistant 2 app. Thanks for the clarification.
Well, it would be nice, but it's the Fly app that's spying on you and talking to DJI every time you fly, so part of the security is Fly needs to know who you are. Hence the login requirement, and the restrictions (height, distance, allowed anonymous flights) if you are not logged in.

Without this, someone could steal your system and fly it without problems on a different phone forever without logging in.

Having to create an account and log in is how the thief gets busted flying a drone not bound to their account.

Well, it would be nice, but it's the Fly app that's spying on you and talking to DJI every time you fly, so part of the security is Fly needs to know who you are. Hence the login requirement, and the restrictions (height, distance, allowed anonymous flights) if you are not logged in.

Without this, someone could steal your system and fly it without problems on a different phone forever without logging in.

Having to create an account and log in is how the thief gets busted flying a drone not bound to their account.
However, now that I have bound it to my account, it flies with no phone attached. My understanding is that the integra goggles have gps built in so it can satisfy the RID requirements with out the phone. So any one that knows how to receive the RID signals from the drone can find out things but DJI will remain in the dark. ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax