Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV Combo - the best way to discharge the battery?

prz3mk0

Reaction score
Just wondering what is the best way to discharge the battery? Battery fully charged but it's raining and one can't fly. I don't want to wait for the self-discharge, since this wait is not healthy for the battery as far as I understand.

With MA2 fly more combo there is a power bank adapter to do exactly that.

There is a DJI FPV Googles XT60 Power Cable so it seems like one could use the drone battery to power goggles and discharge it to safe 30-60% for storage.

Is there a better way? Or a power bank adapter that would provide a couple of USB ports like the one for MA2?

If I could edit self-discharge from 5 to say 2 days I would consider it, but that's not possible with DJI Fly app. From what I read keeping LiPo batteries at 100% is really bad, so I definitely don't want to let 3 batteries sit and self-discharge, there must be a better way.

Keeping them at 100% for extended periods of time is bad... that's why there's the 5 day auto discharge since 5 days isn't "extended" enough to matter significantly.

Reactions: okw
The 5 day period doesn't impact LiPo batteries. The articles regarding this subject generally start with "standard LiPo" batteries that lack any IC chip and Firmware. Standard LiPo will hold their charge for extended time, and the use of a Discharge device (light bulb, resistor pak, etc) is popular practice. Even then, most don't take action to discharge in 5 days... they'll wait a bit longer... and then only take it to storage voltage.

All DJI batteries contain integrated FW and circuitry to prevent Undercharge below minimal voltage, Overcharge and Storage discharge. This has been calculated by DJI as optimal time period that has no impact on LiPo gel.

I don't recall where at moment, but there have been recent discussions that included DJI's input that indicated 2-3 day auto-discharge wasn't preferred procedure for all around battery maintenance. If you're not intending to fly in near future, discharging early doesn't impact; but if you're discharging in 3 days, recharging a few days later on a regular practice that isn't ideal practice due to more charge cycles.

I have large sets of Matrice TB55, TB50 and TB48 get charged at times and mission changes and they discharge to storage. Several of these are several years old without issues.

In brief, I'd let DJI FW handle the discharge. Also, never start a flight with a non-full charged battery. Once discharge initiates, the accuracy of the battey and circuitry is not as accurate. All circuitry is based on a Full Charge.

The 5 day period doesn't impact LiPo batteries. The articles regarding this subject generally start with "standard LiPo" batteries that lack any IC chip and Firmware. Standard LiPo will hold their charge for extended time, and the use of a Discharge device (light bulb, resistor pak, etc) is popular practice. Even then, most don't take action to discharge in 5 days... they'll wait a bit longer... and then only take it to storage voltage.

All DJI batteries contain integrated FW and circuitry to prevent Undercharge below minimal voltage, Overcharge and Storage discharge. This has been calculated by DJI as optimal time period that has no impact on LiPo gel.

I don't recall where at moment, but there have been recent discussions that included DJI's input that indicated 2-3 day auto-discharge wasn't preferred procedure for all around battery maintenance. If you're not intending to fly in near future, discharging early doesn't impact; but if you're discharging in 3 days, recharging a few days later on a regular practice that isn't ideal practice due to more charge cycles.

I have large sets of Matrice TB55, TB50 and TB48 get charged at times and mission changes and they discharge to storage. Several of these are several years old without issues.

In brief, I'd let DJI FW handle the discharge. Also, never start a flight with a non-full charged battery. Once discharge initiates, the accuracy of the battey and circuitry is not as accurate. All circuitry is based on a Full Charge.
Thank you for the clarification.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax