Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV gimbal scale different in normal and manual

Fpvbefokt

Reaction score
Hi all, was going to post about my first 3 crashes, but removed it as no one wants to read about that.

I recently noticed that when my gimbal is set to 0 in normal mode and switch to manual mode, at 0 it is looking 15 degrees down, although the scale says it is set at 0.

In other words, in normal at 0 degrees, the gimbal points at the horizon. When i switch to manual and set the gimbal to 0, it points at about 15 degrees lower than the 0 in normal. If i set the gimbal to 15 degrees up in manual, then when i transition from normal (set at 0) to manual (set at 15 up), they now both point at the same place.

Calibrating the gimbal shows no problem, but there remains a 15 degrees difference between the 0 degrees setting in manual and normal mode.

Can anyone assist by explaining this?

Perhaps this is due to the 0° In normal is adjusting for the tilt of the drone on the ground due to the difference in height between front and back legs, and the absolute 0° setting in manual.

Perhaps?

None of the above. To make it more confusing, once you've taken off, the 0 setting in manual (actual camera pitch) becomes the same zero as the normal mode zero.
In other words, the error only seems present before takeoff, and corrects in flight?

None of the above. To make it more confusing, once you've taken off, the 0 setting in manual (actual camera pitch) becomes the same zero as the normal mode zero.
In other words, the error only seems present before takeoff, and corrects in flight?

I also noticed it saves angles from 0 degrees up, in manual, but a downward angle setting is saved as 0, so looking up seems to be the norm.

In other words, in normal at 0 degrees, the gimbal points at the horizon. When i switch to manual and set the gimbal to 0, it points at about 15 degrees lower than the 0 in normal. If i set the gimbal to 15 degrees up in manual, then when i transition from normal (set at 0) to manual (set at 15 up), they now both point at the same place.

Calibrating the gimbal shows no problem, but there remains a 15 degrees difference between the 0 degrees setting in manual and normal mode.

Can anyone assist by explaining this?
In N/S the angle is given with regard to horizon since the gimbal is stabilized with regard to the outside world, in M it's given with regard to the airframe since the horizon is irrelevant and the camera is locked to the airframe.
So the 15° you see when on the ground is just the angle the aircraft sits at on its feet. In N/S if you take it in your hand you'll see the camera stays straight as you tilt the aircraft...
I also noticed it saves angles from 0 degrees up, in manual, but a downward angle setting is saved as 0, so looking up seems to be the norm.

Well if you don't look up all you see when going forward is the ground and you quickly have no idea of what you're doing...

Last edited:
Reactions: prz3mk0

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput