Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV Impressions

droneguy

Reaction score
Website
www.808drones.com
I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with this drone so far after 6 batteries. It's definitely got a place in the market. The adjustable gimbal and the holy crap button are awesome. Flying in in full acro mode is definitely not relaxing. If you're doing mild acro it's fine, but you will never push it that much because the consequences of doing so and crashing are catastrophic. I kept feeling I was holding back a lot (maybe cause it's brand new) and wouldn't take lines I wouldn't think twice to take with any of my racing drones. I also was actually surprised on how quick it it in manual mode for a DJI drone. It won't do anything to replace your carbon fiber racing drone, but for 30mph cinematic shots, it is great. The other thing is the cruise control lets you set a predetermined speed and basically fly with yaw only while the software add roll to your turns to smooth out the video. Cool feature... Most people who get into FPV love the thrill of dives, hitting small gaps, and flying where no other drones would dare go and this DJI FPV despite technically being able to do those things will not be your weapon of choice because one tiny mistake and it will be in pieces with a hefty repair bill.

Last edited:
I have a feeling there will be a lot of these $1300 FPV's crashed within 30 minutes of unboxing. The videos make it look much easier than it is. I suppose it'll create a good boost in business for the repair shops.

LOL! It's a real pain to get it into full acro, so most people won't go full acro right away. Manual mode still has angle limits. It will probably take a few days to see the carnage.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
LOL! It's a real pain to get it into full acro, so most people won't go full acro right away. Manual mode still has angle limits. It will probably take a few days to see the carnage.
I hope so. Many of these buyers are Mavic guys who like to drop it into sport mode out of the box to see how fast they can fly it across their backyard.

I'll do a full write-up later today once I get an hour. There are some interesting details that would help people decide if this is a good drone for them to purchase. I think a lot of Mavic users are looking at this pretty seriously.

Reactions: dirkclod
I'll do a full write-up later today once I get an hour. There are some interesting details that would help people decide if this is a good drone for them to purchase. I think a lot of Mavic users are looking at this pretty seriously.
Oh no, not pretty seriously, VERY seriously!! ?

I have seen some good video coming from this and some poor video , thinking at 89 MPH video it not so hot , :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV coming soon.

The problem with 89mph or any high speed is that you really want to fly in focus mode to keep the latency to the goggles as low as possible and the quad responsive. But since the onboard DVR records of the same camera, the video is pretty unusable in focus mode. You need to fly in high quality mode to get great DVR, but then the latency increases and your controls aren't as sharp. Depending on where the video is processed, there may be a way to split the video stream and have focus mode to the goggles and quality mode to the DVR, but this would be a firmware change if it's even possible.

The problem with 89mph or any high speed is that you really want to fly in focus mode to keep the latency to the goggles as low as possible and the quad responsive. But since the onboard DVR records of the same camera, the video is pretty unusable in focus mode. You need to fly in high quality mode to get great DVR, but then the latency increases and your controls aren't as sharp. Depending on where the video is processed, there may be a way to split the video stream and have focus mode to the goggles and quality mode to the DVR, but this would be a firmware change if it's even possible.
One thing I am confused about is the Visual Line Of Sight , do you always need a spotter than to fly with the Googles and does the 107 give any extra abilities with the FPV ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV in Extreme Weather coming soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O.
One thing I am confused about is the Visual Line Of Sight , do you always need a spotter than to fly with the Googles and does the 107 give any extra abilities with the FPV ?
Just like in Canada, yes you need a spotter to maintain VLOS while you fly FPV in the US. You need a Part 107 waiver to fly beyond visual line of sight. But obtaining one is extremely difficult, some say almost impossible but it really just requires jumping through a lot of hoops. Apparently the approval rate in the US is less than 5%. that will start to change as technology improves safety and the big money jumps in with deliveries.

Well < it might be a good idea to just start a Crash thread as the Drone can go from 0 to 60 Mph in under 2 seconds and every Pilot video has shown a Crash. ?
Were already getting some extra parts. Props and cameras , not even sure what the tripod is but we got one. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV in Extreme Weather Coming soon.

Parts list : Screenshot 03-02-2021 18.06.22.jpg

Reactions: A.O.
3.5 batts flown here, and really good first impressions as well. Flipped to full manual on second flight and it's really hyper smooth as hoped, love it, found it hard to stay below 80km/h :D
Gonna have to tune the video transmission a bit though.

I spent most of the entire day watching YT videos trying to decide if there was some really good cinematic footage that wowed me as a lot of the Footage posted was not really clean footage.

I found one youtube video that really stood out, it was simple and added a ton of depth and feeling to the shots without making everyone sea sick,

With a little slow motion it would be Epic in any video.

My favorite shot is the Lighthouse so simple and its awesome to watch 1:20 is a fantastic shot. over the lighthouse .

Phantomrain.org
I cant get this FPV fast enough :p
Gear to Bullet Proof the FPV in Extreme Weather coming soon.

I spent most of the entire day watching YT videos trying to decide if there was some really good cinematic footage that wowed me as a lot of the Footage posted was not really clean footage.

I found one youtube video that really stood out, it was simple and added a ton of depth and feeling to the shots without making everyone sea sick,

With a little slow motion it would be Epic in any video.

My favorite shot is the Lighthouse so simple and its awesome to watch 1:20 is a fantastic shot. over the lighthouse .

Phantomrain.org
I cant get this FPV fast enough :p
Gear to Bullet Proof the FPV in Extreme Weather coming soon.

Pretty cool video! Not what I'm looking for though.. WAY to much work to get it from my drone to a slick youtube video, I don't have all day and night sitting in front of the computer trying to get it there... I've tried.

Im still trying to Pin point is there is any way possible to Fly SOLO without a spotter.

I see that you have audience share but did find any details on this. I see you can use your Phone for Trial Practice without the drone turned on.
Can you hook the Phone or Monitor to the googles and fly without the googles or hold the Googles in your hands while you fly ?

Brain Storming to find a solution ?

Screenshot 03-03-2021 16.30.02.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax