Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV Rates/Exp - M Mode

thetechnobear

Reaction score
what are peoples thoughts on rates/exp?

Im wondering about some different sets of rates/exp for different scenarios
a) Cinematic - emphasising smooth flight over agility
b) Dynamic - a little more acro, more dives, climbs
c) Beginner, perhaps this is the same as (a) , perhaps not?

I've been using the stock rates, but have been experimenting a bit today with how the rates and exp affect the controls.

as I understand it, we have :
Centre Sensitivity - higher numbers, higher sensitivity in the centre of the stick

Rate - Max rate of change, in degrees per seconds

Exp - the 'curve' of the sticks, this is describes an exponential/log curve,
< 0.5 = less sensitive in centre,more at edges
> 0.5 = most sensitive in centre, less at edges

Rate is easy to feel,300 is quite slow, 800 is pretty fast.

but centre/exp are a bit tricky

first, there seems to be disagreement (*) about if < 0.5 introduces less centre morement or if its > 0.5.
the reason for this seems to stem from ... Mavic/DJI use < 0.5 = less sensitive, but traditional fpv use > 0.5.
thoughts? I tried out both and could not really tell easily (**)

the other possible reason is i think centre sensitivity and exp are related.

what I was trying to get was a rate/exp setting that had less movement in the centre, so was smoother, but then I could use more radical movements of the stick to get fast movements.

thoughts? experiences?

-----------
(*) Ive seen youtube videos, where some say use 0.25 to reduce centre movement, others saying 0.85 :)

(**) having to land, takeoff in between changes, meant I found it difficult to compare subtle changes

Totally depends on your flying style. Most other racer (on track) use way lower max rates, around 450-500°/s, high expo and very low center sensitivity (10-50).
Freestyle pilots usually around 900-1000°/s max rate and whatever center sensitivity and expo feels good.

I fly Freestyle and Race with 125 center sensitivity, 900°/s max rate and 0.2 expo. I just got used to this. Rates is very individual.

You can use this website to visualize the rates. DJI is using what betaflight calls "actual rates", d, f, g on this website: Desmos | Graphing Calculator

Last edited:
thanks @b3yond, thats really useful !
really does show well how the 3 parameters interact with each other.

however, it does also hightlight the confusion around EXP.
if you go use DJI Fly/Go for a mavic, you can clearly see EXP acts in reverse...
so 0.1 dji go = 0.9 beta flight.
I guess we should assume that the exp on the dji fpv works the same as betaflight, given we also have centre/rate which do not exist on mavis (dji fly/go).

as you say, very individual, but I was a little confused which direction to tweak exp,
that graph, along with test flights, will definitely give me something to work with :)

thanks again

Reactions: venomoussvt
Totally depends on your flying style. Most other racer (on track) use way lower max rates, around 450-500°/s, high expo and very low center sensitivity (10-50).
Freestyle pilots usually around 900-1000°/s max rate and whatever center sensitivity and expo feels good.

I fly Freestyle and Race with 125 center sensitivity, 900°/s max rate and 0.2 expo. I just got used to this. Rates is very individual.

You can use this website to visualize the rates. DJI is using what betaflight calls "actual rates", d, f, g on this website: Desmos | Graphing Calculator
I agree, there for a while it was like a badge of honor to fly with super fast rates, I jumped on the bandwagon 4 years ago and just got to where I like fast rates and a simple expo.. Id have to look at betaflight to tell you exactly how my expo is, but its pretty linear as I dont like surprises when i fly. I do however prefer twitchy sticks and i think it causes for twitchy flight characteristics so i am trying to fly with these dead sticks on this thing to force myself to calm down my fingers a little bit. even though I was used to flying this was, i 100% admit they werent realistic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJAluzion