Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV v2 goggle's antenna recommendation with use with air unit?

aSae

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just jumped to digital fpv with dji drone (was mostly flying relaxed freestyle/cruising with analog in the past) and I loved it. I am so amazed on the leap of video quality from usual analog to HD. To feed the addiction more, I am thinking to get an rtf drone with dji air unit (don't have time anymore to build) ie. Nazgul or XL5 . I just have couple of questions in mind:

1. Based on discussion from this forum, I use truerc duality when flying the dji drone, but when switching to drone with air unit, what would be the recommended 5.8ghz antenna replacement to be used with goggle v2? as I understand they change the way each antenna port receive and transmit compare to v1
so probably getting a patch type antenna might not give the maximum benefit (for now). Will truerc singularity work? or even the death-ray helical? considering they are treating all antenna ports the same (no specific rx/tx).

2. later, the goggle will be switched back and forth between fpv mode and digital air unit mode depending which unit i will fly (including exchanging the antennas). Will this be a problem ie. overheating the 2.4 transmitter in the goggle due to use of 5.8 on all ports? (I know that i have to rebind everything everytime).

thanks in advance for the advice :)

Last edited:

b3yond

Reaction score
Just use the stock antennas, they are okayish.
You will not have a much better reception with TrueRC Singularity. Not worth 80€ or so.

Reactions: aSae

droneguy

Reaction score
Website
www.808drones.com
Hi everyone, I just jumped to digital fpv with dji drone (was mostly flying relaxed freestyle/cruising with analog in the past) and I loved it. I am so amazed on the leap of video quality from usual analog to HD. To feed the addiction more, I am thinking to get an rtf drone with dji air unit (don't have time anymore to build) ie. Nazgul or XL5 . I just have couple of questions in mind:

1. Based on discussion from this forum, I use truerc duality when flying the dji drone, but when switching to drone with air unit, what would be the recommended 5.8ghz antenna replacement to be used with goggle v2? as I understand they change the way each antenna port receive and transmit compare to v1
so probably getting a patch type antenna might not give the maximum benefit (for now). Will truerc singularity work? or even the death-ray helical? considering they are treating all antenna ports the same (no specific rx/tx).

2. later, the goggle will be switched back and forth between fpv mode and digital air unit mode depending which unit i will fly (including exchanging the antennas). Will this be a problem ie. overheating the 2.4 transmitter in the goggle due to use of 5.8 on all ports? (I know that i have to rebind everything everytime).

thanks in advance for the advice :)
I have used the TrueRC singularity stubbies since available on the vv1 goggles and the duality stubbies since launch on the v2 goggles and there is definitely a noticeable difference and more so on the v2 goggles especially in high multi-path environments. In my testing, the stock antennas had more frequent and more pronounced drops in bitrate compared to the TrueRC antennas. A lot of people complain about the price, but TrueRC makes some of the best antennas available and their performance speaks for itself.

You don't need to worry about overheating the transmitters as there is still an impedance matched load attached, but it wouldn't be properly tuned to the correct frequency so your wavelength will be off and reception will suffer somewhat but the transmitter is in no danger of overheating and cause damage.

Reactions: aSae

m3sgal

Reaction score
Do you feel safe tossing the goggles in a backpack with TrueRC Duality antennas still on, or would you have to remove them like the stock ones?

droneguy

Reaction score
Website
www.808drones.com
I leave them on. That is one of the huge benefits if these stubbies. Also the SMA connector has a limited number matting cycles before it starts to deteriorate and issues come up. Granted it's probably in the thousands, but keeping the antennas on reduces that wear on the connectors.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razcarmor1