Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Does digital fpv require a ham radio license?

Reaction score
Do any of the digital fpv systems that are out there require a ham radio license? I can't seem to find a straight answer to this question. I really want to try fpv and not need a ham radio license.

Thanks!

The only information I can find is at the bottom of getfpv. For every video transmitter do they always put the ham radio license warning?

Yes, GetFPV puts that disclaimer on almost all of the pages.

In the US, most video transmitters have not been certified by the FCC and do require a ham license to operate legally. However, the DJI air unit and goggles have been certified and can be used on some channels without the need for the ham license.

Here's some more info from the FPV Freedom Coalition:

Reactions: 280
Yes, GetFPV puts that disclaimer on almost all of the pages.

In the US, most video transmitters have not been certified by the FCC and do require a ham license to operate legally. However, the DJI air unit and goggles have been certified and can be used on some channels without the need for the ham license.

Here's some more info from the FPV Freedom Coalition:

Thanks for the helpful information. I would love to get the DJI system but its too expensive for me.

Amateur license required for 5650mhz to 5925mhz. DJI FPV requires the license to use channel 1, 2, 6, and 7 as long as you have not increased the effective radiated power (ERP) to > 700mW by hack or antenna mod.
Amateur radio in the microwave frequencies is considered "weak signal" work and illegal drone use of amateur frequencies can be highly disruptive. It's also not fair to the ham radio community that has fought to maintain an ever decreasing amount of spectrum in the face of corporate power and FCC bias in favor of business over the common citizen. Get the tech-class ticket, it's fairly easy. 73 de N1QVE.

Amateur license required for 5650mhz to 5925mhz. DJI FPV requires the license to use channel 1, 2, 6, and 7 as long as you have not increased the effective radiated power (ERP) to > 700mW by hack or antenna mod.
Amateur radio in the microwave frequencies is considered "weak signal" work and illegal drone use of amateur frequencies can be highly disruptive. It's also not fair to the ham radio community that has fought to maintain an ever decreasing amount of spectrum in the face of corporate power and FCC bias in favor of business over the common citizen. Get the tech-class ticket, it's fairly easy. 73 de N1QVE.
Thanks for the reply. Are there any free resources you recommend that I read to learn more about this subject? I know pretty much nothing right now.

Hi 280,
Yes, absolutely. Start here:

Exams are given locally by ARRL VEs (Volunteer Examiners).

There is so much to amateur radio, from drone and FPV flying to local repeater chatting to long-distance shortwave/HF work to meteor scatter and earth-moon-earth (EME) work. It's a remarkable hobby, almost endless in potential.

Good luck!

Hi 280,
Yes, absolutely. Start here:

Exams are given locally by ARRL VEs (Volunteer Examiners).

There is so much to amateur radio, from drone and FPV flying to local repeater chatting to long-distance shortwave/HF work to meteor scatter and earth-moon-earth (EME) work. It's a remarkable hobby, almost endless in potential.

Good luck!
Thanks for the information!

Reactions: Halifax

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJAluzion