Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DRL Sim

BudWalker

Reaction score
I've been trying the DRLSim simulator and really like it. I've been using the Velocidrone and DJI FPV simulators. Never really got the Velocidrone settings to the point where it felt like actually flying the FPV. The Velocidrone tutorials are very helpful.

Mostly I've been using the DJI FPV simulator. No need to tune the simulator to make the experience the same as actually flying the FPV. The controller sensitivity settings in the simulator and actual FPV are the same. Also, the controller buttons are the same.

With DRLSim there is already drone model for the DJI FPV. It's called 5" DJIFPV(SPEC). Getting the controller sensitivity settings is a little bit of a challenge. DRLSim has a super rate setting that's not present in the FPV - I've the super rate to 0.0 in DRLSim. The FPV has a center sensitivity setting that's not present in DRLSim - I've set the center sensitivity setting to 40 on the FPV. The rates are present in both but is done a little differently. If, for example, a roll rate of 400°/sec is desired it can be obtained by adjusting the slider so that 400 is shown in the response curve.
1629292108226.png
For me the DRLSim realism level is just as good as the DJI FPV simulator.

I hadn't heard of the DRL Sim, thanks!
In a quick check, I found a reference that it was Steam... is this a download or requires a connection to Steam? I've tried a few Steam in past with mixed results... maybe it's me or my PC (Mac Windows Bootcamp) but it felt slow or problematic.

I haven't done much Sim yet (practically zero), been flying the DJI FPV in Sport mode mainly... but feeling the urge to move onward to full actobatic manual mode and looking at various Sims to help learn. Not being an FPV flyer, I do have the FPV RC's stick set for non-center without issues getting used to the Throttle/Altitude of non-centering stick.

My preference is to use a locally installed app, but as you've indicated most aren't offering a DJI FPV pre-configured option.

In a quick check, I found a reference that it was Steam... is this a download or requires a connection to Steam? I've tried a few Steam in past with mixed results... maybe it's me or my PC (Mac Windows Bootcamp) but it felt slow or problematic.

I haven't done much Sim yet (practically zero), been flying the DJI FPV in Sport mode mainly... but feeling the urge to move onward to full actobatic manual mode and looking at various Sims to help learn. Not being an FPV flyer, I do have the FPV RC's stick set for non-center without issues getting used to the Throttle/Altitude of non-centering stick.

My preference is to use a locally installed app, but as you've indicated most aren't offering a DJI FPV pre-configured option.
DRL Sim is installed locally. There are several settings that impact the amount of computer resources that it uses. E.g., here are the graphics settings
1629577067315.png

Reactions: dougcjohn

You don't need to use bootcamp or windows, the SIMs come with Mac versions no need. As convenient as bootcamp and parallels are, they can be buggy specially on demanding game apps, for a game or SIM you need and want the most speed and minimal latency in order to have accuracy so instead of taxing the Mac by making a SIM run a SIM, just go direct.

You don't need to use bootcamp or windows, the SIMs come with Mac versions no need. As convenient as bootcamp and parallels are, they can be buggy specially on demanding game apps, for a game or SIM you need and want the most speed and minimal latency in order to have accuracy so instead of taxing the Mac by making a SIM run a SIM, just go direct.
Great to hear there's a Mac version, didn't even check for a Mac version, most of these are Windows/DOS architecture only. I'll take that route... Thanks!

Although a Bootcamp partition booted direct to Windows isn't through Mac OS, it's pure Windows OS using dedicated Drivers provided by Apple for hardware, no interpretation layer.

Parallels & Fusion are great for running VM's... but I'd agree the hardware translation layer is taxed with Games/Sims that access GPU directly within a VM.

Another difference is that DRLSim has an expo setting for the throttle whereas the DJIFPV does not. I had set throttle expo in DRLSim to 0.0. I.e. a linear response curve thinking that's probably the case with the DJIFPV. But, I found that not to be the case as the DJIFPV is more docile so I set the DJISim throttle expo to 0.5.

OTOH, I think I'll practice in DJISim with the throttle expo set to 0.0 because it makes actually hovering and/or landing with the DJIFPV easier.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax