Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Editing Avata Video. Who has done this using a PC?

Jeff A

Reaction score
Let me begin by describing my PC. I have a 2 year old Dell XPS box running Win 10. I have 32gb of RAM and this machine has a SSD. The Graphics adapter is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super. This card cost more than most PC's out there. Now in the Specs I do see one potential problem, my machine has a bit depth of 8-bit. More of this shortly.

I use CyberLink PowerDirector 18 for video editing. I started using this when I started filming with my Mavic Pro 2 and 4K was no problem. Then at the beginning of this year I purchased a Sony A7 IV Mirrorless camera. My best video Spec includes 10-bit video. PowerDirector won't even load this, much less edit it. I have not tried to edit any video from the Avata but my upgraded slide viewer has a problem digesting still images so that's a sign of things to come. When I shoot in 8-bit, I think I'm good to go but I want to try and use 10-bit. Is there something I can do to my PC to upgrade it to 10-bit? I am ignorant of all of this juargon.

I downloaded a free Video Player, MPV and it will play video from my Sony and the Avata. My problem is that CyberLink can't even tell me if their latest product will do 10-bit video. So after all of this information, I finally get to my question. What Windows based editor are people using to edit videos from the Avata? Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
I have of course, heard of Davinci Resolve. I was looking at it when I bought the CyberLink product. I have heard about the learning curve but for video editing, most any software would have that. Thanks.

I use Davinci Resolve, takes some time to learn but good ole YouTube has plenty of how-to's and works for my amateur needs.

Reactions: harleydude
Notice that the davinci free version doesn't support h265 hardware acceleration.
Only on the studio (paid) version.

I have edited Avata 4k footage using Premiere Pro and have not had an issue. I edit 4k video all the time and my PC rarely has an issue and my specs are less than yours.

I use Davinci Resolve too, the free version, and absolutely love it. Yes, it has a learning curve, but if you already know the basics of video editing, it's really not that bad. I'm strictly armature and the amount of videos I do produce do not warrant paying monthly subscription fees for software (actually I have a real problem with the whole concept of "renting" software) or even the one time cost for the Studio version of Resolve. Having said that, I do like the idea that, for a reasonable amount, I can get a forever copy of the software. It would actually take very little for me to rationalize the purchase.

The only downside I see with Resolve is that it's minimum hardware requirements are fairly high.

Reactions: okw and DadCorso80
I have edited Avata 4k footage using Premiere Pro and have not had an issue. I edit 4k video all the time and my PC rarely has an issue and my specs are less than yours.
I don't have an Avata yet, but I've been using Premier Pro for many years, and have never had any issues.

BTW, @Jeff A, not sure what you mean by your PC's bit depth...

First, you couldn't purchase a PC 2 years ago with a processor with less than 32-bit word size (the basic data unit the processor, memory, etc. operate on).

Second, this has nothing – at all – to do with pixel color resolution in an image. That's 100% handled by the software, or a specialized dedicated processor for crunching image operations. No modern editor is unable to process 10-bit color.

8-bit PC? what, you trying to do this stuff on an old 6502-based Commodore 64 circa 1984? How do ya like waiting for that cassette tape storage?

😁

actually I have a real problem with the whole concept of "renting" software
I do too, but the alternative model – purchase with limited warranty – is even less attractive to me. I want bug fixes and new features ongoing. Someone(s) are going to work every day working as their livelihood to engineer those fixes and enhancements, and getting paid to do it. In a rational business model, who and how should those costs be paid?

Most would say the customer receiving the value.

I do too, but the alternative model – purchase with limited warranty – is even less attractive to me. I want bug fixes and new features ongoing. Someone(s) are going to work every day working as their livelihood to engineer those fixes and enhancements, and getting paid to do it. In a rational business model, who and how should those costs be paid?

Most would say the customer receiving the value.
If I were a professional making a living editing video I could possibly justify paying subscription fees for software, provided the software gave me an advantage over the alternatives. As I'm not a professional, free software (Resolve) sounds good to me, and the updates are also free. Black Magic Design makes most of their revenue from hardware, cameras and editing consoles. Resolve is basically given away as part of the system. It evolved from an excellent colour grading system to the very capable and professional full editing suite it is today.

Regard;ess, whatever works for you is fine.

Reactions: rktman
Well the good news is that I was able to edit the Avata's video with my PowerDirector 18 program which I had purchased previously. I was worried because some of the video I had tried to play didn't do well. I made a test video using clips from the Avata, my Sony A7 Iv (shot in 8-bit) and even still pictures from various sources. It's too bad I can't solve the problen of editing movies taken with my Sony A7 IV shot in 10-bit but I'll keep trying.

I don't have an Avata yet, but I've been using Premier Pro for many years, and have never had any issues.

BTW, @Jeff A, not sure what you mean by your PC's bit depth...

First, you couldn't purchase a PC 2 years ago with a processor with less than 32-bit word size (the basic data unit the processor, memory, etc. operate on).

Second, this has nothing – at all – to do with pixel color resolution in an image. That's 100% handled by the software, or a specialized dedicated processor for crunching image operations. No modern editor is unable to process 10-bit color.

8-bit PC? what, you trying to do this stuff on an old 6502-based Commodore 64 circa 1984? How do ya like waiting for that cassette tape storage?

😁
8-bit color. I don't understand it. What can I do to upgrade it? My video card already costs more than I would normally pay for a PC. "No modern editor is unable to process 10-bit color." Really? CyberLink's PowerDirector won't handle it.

There's nothing to upgrade, just switch to software that can handle it.

There's nothing to upgrade, just switch to software that can handle it.
If that is the case, and I suspect that you are correct, it comes down to the Cost vs Benefits Ratio. In my case, it's a non-starter. Thanks for your reply.

Found the answer for you.

PD only supports 10 bit color in Apple's ProRes format in a MOV container. Why, you'll have to ask Cyberlink, but it strikes me as a particularly bad feature decision.

You can take your 10-bit footage and convert it to ProRes/MOV with a free open-source tool called "VirtualDub" (google it), and then use your paid copy of Power Director to produce.

I use pinnacle studio 26. You can download and try for 15 days or purchase with 30 day guarantee to return. Does your software support preview resolution for the timeline? For instance, I shoot most of my stuff in 5K on the Air2s so I can crop, my timeline is at 1/4 resolution so the clips I'm working with are pretty speedy, but I still export at 4K. and it works pretty good. I think new the Ultimate version of PS for all the extra effects, tools, etc. is like 129.99 new, and once own it upgrades are about $89. They release a new version every year, but I only upgrade about every other year. I did this year, some really good stability and speed updates. Also usually get 30 days of StudioBacklot training with the purchase. If you go through that free training in 30 days, you'll be up to speed on all the functions.

I use pinnacle studio 26. You can download and try for 15 days or purchase with 30 day guarantee to return. Does your software support preview resolution for the timeline? For instance, I shoot most of my stuff in 5K on the Air2s so I can crop, my timeline is at 1/4 resolution so the clips I'm working with are pretty speedy, but I still export at 4K. and it works pretty good. I think new the Ultimate version of PS for all the extra effects, tools, etc. is like 129.99 new, and once own it upgrades are about $89. They release a new version every year, but I only upgrade about every other year. I did this year, some really good stability and speed updates. Also usually get 30 days of StudioBacklot training with the purchase. If you go through that free training in 30 days, you'll be up to speed on all the functions.

I was using Pinnacle for a while. It has some good things going for it, including using proxy files. Davinci Resolve also supports proxy files. I do, however, miss the smart masking tools Pinnacle has. Would have to shell out for the Studio version of Resolve to get the equivalent. In the end though, I'm sticking with Resolve.

I was using Pinnacle for a while. It has some good things going for it, including using proxy files. Davinci Resolve also supports proxy files. I do, however, miss the smart masking tools Pinnacle has. Would have to shell out for the Studio version of Resolve to get the equivalent. In the end though, I'm sticking with Resolve.
Thankfully, I have learned that I can edit my Avata video with my OWNED copy of PowerDirector 18. I produced two videos today and the second one is uploading as I this. Thank you for your response.

Reactions: Xitor and Barbara

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJAluzion