Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Father son Build log

Mtjunky

Reaction score
Thought I would start a post on my journey into the world of FPV drone flying. This all started when my 19yr son came home for a BBQ and we seen a MR Steele video of him diving some buildings. Insta excitement took us to google and with out thinking or researching I ordered
2. Space One 220 frames. :)
Few days later after lots of reading and searching I found and made some purchases to get us started as cheap as I could. The List
F3 Acro 6 DOF
Racestar Racing BR2205 2300kv
Matek PDB
Racestar 4in1 ESC
eachine 1000TVL camera
EV800
Spektrum Quad race RX
I will be using my DX6i and a DX5e to get us started hovering and learning till we see if we want to stick with, if so we will upgrade as we go.
Thanks for looking and feel free to add tips and tricks to building or just suggestions.

Reactions: Carlos and Jtrjr
My building tip would be to be sure to pre-tin all the solder pads (and wire) you will be using. Then mount the electronics in the frame for actual soldering of the wires.

Reactions: Mtjunky
My building tip would be to be sure to pre-tin all the solder pads (and wire) you will be using. Then mount the electronics in the frame for actual soldering of the wires.
Thanks for this. I actually ordered a new station in prep of doing such tiny joints. Little nervous since all my previous has been on 1/10 scale off road that is pretty big stuff.
I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as things show up and I have a chance to actually hold them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Really cool looking frames!
good luck with the build process,I think you will love this hobby!

Mark

IU would love it a lot more if my BG order wouldn't take forever. I'm not sure if it's just not updating or it's still in china after a week. All other items will be in by Thursday but the main parts are held up in china. :(
I just want to build.. lol

Yeah,the downside to this Hobby is the waiting from overseas shipping.
Usually it will sit 3 days or more before it actually leaves to be shipped to the States.

Mark

It's over a week and still in China. Not sure if it's just slow to update or its been sitting in same spot.
Well I've received a few goodies so far and it's making me more excited. Hopefully I can start soon.
IMG_20170404_200948_807.jpg
IMG_20170405_183521_638.jpg

Reactions: Carlos
Thought I would start a post on my journey into the world of FPV drone flying. This all started when my 19yr son came home for a BBQ and we seen a MR Steele video of him diving some buildings. Insta excitement took us to google and with out thinking or researching I ordered
2. Space One 220 frames. :)
Few days later after lots of reading and searching I found and made some purchases to get us started as cheap as I could. The List
F3 Acro 6 DOF
Racestar Racing BR2205 2300kv
Matek PDB
Racestar 4in1 ESC
eachine 1000TVL camera
EV800
Spektrum Quad race RX
I will be using my DX6i and a DX5e to get us started hovering and learning till we see if we want to stick with, if so we will upgrade as we go.
Thanks for looking and feel free to add tips and tricks to building or just suggestions.
Awesome build. If you guys have a hard time getting used to the remote and flying, i suggest building a tiny whoop. I have been flying for about 2-3 months. The biggest help i had was flyig the whoop. I can fly it around my house in acro and just practice. Its all about practice, putting time into flying. You guys will have a blast.

Awesome build. If you guys have a hard time getting used to the remote and flying, i suggest building a tiny whoop. I have been flying for about 2-3 months. The biggest help i had was flyig the whoop. I can fly it around my house in acro and just practice. Its all about practice, putting time into flying. You guys will have a blast.

Thank you, whats a whoop? We are really excited to get started and I'm sure we will enjoy every crash we have. :)
I'm looking at antennas and I'm wondering with my items posted above do I want 5.8 and we would want a set of right hand and left hand so we don't bother each others correct?
This is what I'm looking at.
Team BlackSheep Online Store - TBS TRIUMPH RPSMA(LHCP 2pcs)

Last edited:
Thank you, whats a whoop? We are really excited to get started and I'm sure we will enjoy every crash we have. :)
I'm looking at antennas and I'm wondering with my items posted above do I want 5.8 and we would want a set of right hand and left hand so we don't bother each others correct?
This is what I'm looking at.
Team BlackSheep Online Store - TBS TRIUMPH RPSMA(LHCP 2pcs)
Looking for antennas has been a challenge for me. I started ordering parts not realizing that there are different kinds of antennas example rp-sma and sma antennas. You have to see what style antenna is compatiple with the transmitter your using. Another thing also is that when i started flying with other people i didnt know the the higher power transmitter like a 600mw would be a problem flying with other pilots. There is alot that im still learning but these are some little things that i learned the hard way. Youtube is a super awesome tool for help with antennas and def forums like this one is super helpful. For the tiny whoop, if you search tiny whoop builds on youtube you will what the tiny whoops are all about.

Finally received my order and was able to get started. Going pretty good but I'm to the tiny more technical soldering.
20170411_184533.jpg

Reactions: Carlos
Need a little help.
I'm confused when it comes to the RX. Where to I hook them in into the FC?
Using F3 FC
1 Frsky XSR 5.5v- what wires are needed and what ones are not?
1 Spektrum Racing serial 3.3v- UART3? if so what color wires go where?

MT,

I'm confused, are you using a FrSky XSR with a Spektrum radio? I know the XSR pretty well and can probably get you going on that but if you're using a Spectrum radio I think you have to have an expansion module on the radio to use the XSR.

Jerry

I'm building 2 drones.
1 with spectrum and other with xsr

It is S.Bus, right? If so, receiver signal wire goes to RX3 on the board, or alternatively the third (white) wire on the io2 connector. Power with adjacent UART3 + and ground, or wires 1 and 2 (black and red) from io2 connector.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax