Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

First FPV build!!

neelj

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post so bear with me. So I have been doing some research on actually building a 5in quad for a bit now. I just wanted to post the parts here so you guys could look over them and tell me if I have any compatibility issues. This is only for the drone, not the transmitter or goggles. So please let me know if you see any problems with my build or if I am missing anything.

Frame
ESC/FC
Motors
Antenna
Camera
VTX
Receiver

Thanks a lot!

Everything looks pretty good, just a few things to mention...

Frame is pretty lightweight, it may break relatively easily, especially if you have never flown these kind before.
FC/ESC is rated to 6s, but with 2400KV motors you will want to limit to 4s, but that is good because the electronics shouldn't blow up on you.
Antenna will need to be zip tied down good since there is no easy mounting method.
If you are getting an XM+ receiver, you can't just get any transmitter, you will need an Frsky or something like a Jumper T-16 Pro with Multi Protocol that can run the Frsky RX.

Overall though, everything is compatable.

Reactions: Wayno52
Thanks for the reply, what receiver would you recommend for a taranis qx7?

For a 5 inch build I would put an XM+ or an R-XSR, and I would stick with one of the original transmitters instead of the "2019" ACCESS protocol models that they have released now. I, for one, don't appreciate what Frsky is doing with this new protocol and compatibility issues, they are trying to force our hands, and that is just one of the big reasons many new pilots are picking the Jumper T-16 Pro, it is a better radio, supports more existing protocols (not just Frsky ACCST), and is a way better value for important features. I fly the original QX7S (ACCST protocol) and doubt I will ever change, but it was bought years before all this new ACCESS protocol and the politics.

Reactions: tevek and Wayno52
Unfortunately, I already have a Taranis qx7, I have been running it on a sim for a while now. Can I put an XM+ module in the back of it instead of getting a new radio? Sorry, I don't really know how that works?

Unfortunately, I already have a Taranis qx7, I have been running it on a sim for a while now. Can I put an XM+ module in the back of it instead of getting a new radio? Sorry, I don't really know how that works?

An XM+ is a Receiver, a QX7 is a Transmitter, and you don't need anything extra for the 2 pieces to talk to each other. One goes in the quad (XM+), the other goes in your hand (QX7), and together they make up a "control link" you use to command the quad on what to do. When you do things with the QX7 it sends those commands to the XM+, and the XM+ passes those commands to the Flight Controller in your Mamba stack. You do have a lot to learn, we will try to help.

Thanks for your help, I did some reading and I think I'll just get a R-XSR receiver.
Either the xm+ or the the r-xsr will be fine with your Taranis transmitter. As @HighTechPauper has very well put, you should not have any issues with either and there is a bunch of backroom stuff going on with the new frsky updated controller gear, i won’t be upgrading any time soon as my gear works and that’s that.
I’ve just loaded my new DC5 with an r-xsr and it works fine with my Taranis QX7S.
All good.
Enjoy.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Be sure and set up your R-XSR with F Port! Really makes like so much easier! With S Bus you need 2 wires, one for signal and one for telemetry. With F Port your get everything in one wire and it automatically sets up RSSI for you. Setting up RSSI with S Bus is a bit confusing. All you have to do is flash the correct firmware ( and you have to update the firmware anyway ) and a bit of setup in Betaflight. Here is a link of instructions. How to Setup Frsky FPort - Oscar Liang

or if you like YouTube better here’s everyone’s favorite know it all Joshua Bardwell’s video on it!
Hope you enjoy your build!
Fly On!!

Reactions: neelj
Be sure and set up your R-XSR with F Port! Really makes like so much easier! With S Bus you need 2 wires, one for signal and one for telemetry. With F Port your get everything in one wire and it automatically sets up RSSI for you. Setting up RSSI with S Bus is a bit confusing. All you have to do is flash the correct firmware ( and you have to update the firmware anyway ) and a bit of setup in Betaflight. Here is a link of instructions. How to Setup Frsky FPort - Oscar Liang

or if you like YouTube better here’s everyone’s favorite know it all Joshua Bardwell’s video on it!
Hope you enjoy your build!
Fly On!!
Thanks for the tip. But, I am having trouble finding where I should connect the smart port wire since I have an F4 flight controller?

Update: I think I figured it out. I think you have to solder from the uninverted smart port on the R-XSR to any open UART port. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you guys for all the help. I don't know what I would do without yall.

Attachments

• mamba-f405-flight-controller-mk2-electronic-system-fc-diatone-innovations-official_750_1024x10...png
    mamba-f405-flight-controller-mk2-electronic-system-fc-diatone-innovations-official_750_1024x10...png
    741.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. But, I am having trouble finding where I should connect the smart port wire since I have an F4 flight controller?

Update: I think I figured it out. I think you have to solder from the uninverted smart port on the R-XSR to any open UART port. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you guys for all the help. I don't know what I would do without yall.
This might help:

So does it matter if I use TX6 or RX6?

Did some reading think it is TX6?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blackphoenix