Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

First FPV Range Test

FPV Flier

Reaction score
Hello fliers, this morning my spotter (wife) and I flew my first range test. First of all where we live there's a large forest with a lake on it so my goal was to make it to the lake. Drone has stock antenna's and I was using my MC. I knew that I needed to fly at 400 ft of altitude to get all the range I could get. At 3500 ft I had 1 bar each on the signal strength meter and the video got real grainy so I RTH. The weather was clear and no wind. Is 3500 ft about normal for stock antenna's? Next test I'll use the RC rather than the MC to see if that makes any difference.
This test was done just to see how far I could fly before I lost signal. I put all my trust in the RTH and it worked beautifully. Does anyone get more or less distance than I did?

Depends on where you are as being in the USA gets you a lot more range than the rest of the world.

Reactions: FPV Flier
its all down to 'clear line of sight'... 1km (3500ft) is easy in FCC if you have clear line of sight... start putting things in the way, like hillsides .. and it'll drop really fast, trees will disperse signal a bit too...
though you'd have hoped at 120m, you'd have a view of drone.
(outside FCC you can try b3yond hack)

if you are not in a built up area try using 2.4ghz to get more range.

if you lose video first, then not really going to be different between RC and MC.
MC has slightly less controller range- though honestly, I dont feels as comfortable with it , so longer range I use sticks.
(keep an eye on controller signal though... whilst usually video goes first, Ive had situations where i lose controller first... but its not that common)

What I found was , to gain confidence of flying at range , fly somewhere that you know is free of any interference ... it lets you get a feel for how far you can go in good conditions. also you'll become more confident in RTH, and also the fpv view going blocky.... and recovering.

once you do that, them when flying a new area 'scout it out' - find the areas with good and poor reception.
one trick i do is fly out 'conservatively' (eg a bit of height), then fly lower when flying back towards me, this way I can see if something is between the drone and me!

its so easy with fpv to accidentally put a hill between you and the drone, or other obstances esp. when you are flying low.

i guess what im saying is... the range in 2.5ghz / fcc is excellent - the battery is the limiting factor.
however, what i found surprising is how much terrain can dramatically play a part, and you have to watch out for it.

its all down to 'clear line of sight'... 1km (3500ft) is easy in FCC if you have clear line of sight... start putting things in the way, like hillsides .. and it'll drop really fast, trees will disperse signal a bit too...
though you'd have hoped at 120m, you'd have a view of drone.
(outside FCC you can try b3yond hack)

if you are not in a built up area try using 2.4ghz to get more range.

if you lose video first, then not really going to be different between RC and MC.
MC has slightly less controller range- though honestly, I dont feels as comfortable with it , so longer range I use sticks.
(keep an eye on controller signal though... whilst usually video goes first, Ive had situations where i lose controller first... but its not that common)

What I found was , to gain confidence of flying at range , fly somewhere that you know is free of any interference ... it lets you get a feel for how far you can go in good conditions. also you'll become more confident in RTH, and also the fpv view going blocky.... and recovering.

once you do that, them when flying a new area 'scout it out' - find the areas with good and poor reception.
one trick i do is fly out 'conservatively' (eg a bit of height), then fly lower when flying back towards me, this way I can see if something is between the drone and me!

its so easy with fpv to accidentally put a hill between you and the drone, or other obstances esp. when you are flying low.

i guess what im saying is... the range in 2.5ghz / fcc is excellent - the battery is the limiting factor.
however, what i found surprising is how much terrain can dramatically play a part, and you have to watch out for it.
Hey, thanks so much for the information thethchnobear. I live in a rural area so I'll try using just 2.4 ghz and using sticks. The area where I live is relatively flat with lots of trees. Thanks again so much and Happy Safe flying!

I too live in a reasonably flat wooded area and 2400-2600 feet is about the max I get, but I never fly at that 400 foot altitude level either, I'm sure that would increase things some.

Last edited:
I too live in a reasonably flat wooded area and 2400-2600 feet is about the max I get, but I never fly at that 400 foot altitude lever either, I'm sure that would increase things some.
Thanks A.O. that lets me know that we are in about the same range. I'm a low and slow flier..... like to view the scenery. Happy and Safe flying !

Thanks A.O. that lets me know that we are in about the same range. I'm a low and slow flier..... like to view the scenery. Happy and Safe flying !
I am also a low flier, I like to fly "in" the woods not over them so much, I like to do some trail flying.

this kind of stuff..

Reactions: Zab and FPV Flier
I am also a low flier, I like to fly "in" the woods not over them so much, I like to do some trail flying.

this kind of stuff..

Yea, thats what I like to do too. Beautiful video A.O. That's an excellent area to fly in. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: A.O.
I get your reaction to the MC... flights like that would be pointless with it.

Why is that? Question 2. I’m in Canada. If I go to US will distance increase?

Different countries/regions have different regulations for allowed RF transmission bands and power. I believe Canada uses the same as the USA but don't quote me on that.

Depends on where you are as being in the USA gets you a lot more range than the rest of the world.
Different countries/regions have different regulations for allowed RF transmission bands and power. I believe Canada uses the same as the USA but don't quote me on that.
I’m on the prairies, if I go 300’ high with no Interference, trees or buildings at 2000’ HD drops and signal drops. And the goggle images starts pixelating. I’m not getting a mile or more like some.

I’m on the prairies, if I go 300’ high with no Interference, trees or buildings at 2000’ HD drops and signal drops. And the goggle images starts pixelating. I’m not getting a mile or more like some.
And where are you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax