Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Fly anything else these days?

rktman

Reaction score
I have accumulated some expensive paperweights... May need to cull the Squadron further.

Actually put the Mini 3 Pro up the other day, couldn't shoot a hyperlapse with the Avata.

So I had a real reason to pull out the boring camera drone. Absent that, it hadn't drank air for weeks.

I even find I'm flying the Avata for camera drone purposes often, with Horizon Steady doing such a superb job, and the 4k/60 camera doing a pretty darn good job. I'll take Avata footage any time I would have been happy with mini 2 or Air 2 footage.

The Avata can play camera drone in a lot of situations, and do it well. And be fun in the process. Could never really rely on a FPV drone this way before (i.e. my iFlight A85) because they can't play DJI camera drone, lacking GPS, position hold, and all the safeties and flight assistance that N mode provides.

Reactions: Barbara
Yep, the DJI FPV...

Actually flew both of them back to back in very windy conditions a couple of days ago and interestingly the avata is way less wobbly/shaky. Can't get even close to speed and power though obviously.

My old DJI Spark is pretty much a paperweight these days. Only fly her occasionally to keep the batteries healthy.

As for the Avata and my M2Z see regular use, though the snow and cold has put a hold on things..

Yep, the DJI FPV...

Actually flew both of them back to back in very windy conditions a couple of days ago and interestingly the avata is way less wobbly/shaky. Can't get even close to speed and power though obviously.
Good point... I forgot I took that baby out for a spin last week on a very windy day... The Avata was getting pushed around too much low to the ground, and I was doing some grass cutting 😁

My Mavic 2 Pro has been less than active lately. I had gotten to the point where I was doing mostly Litchi Waypoint missions and at one point, the aircraft started to responding incorrectly to the commands that were programmed. It mostly developed a "Lazy" camera that weould point to wherever it pleased, but there were other things as well. The drone would fly just fine using the DJI OS, just no longer with the Litchi OS, so I could not trust the Waypoint missions.

I love flying the Avata, but my main use at the moment is to film windsurfing, and for that the FPV trumps it due to higher speed and power. I am always a bit disappointed in the video quality with the FPV though. For regular camera work I have the Mavic 2 Pro and the original Mini, but those don't get a whole lot of use these days... FPV is just too addictive! I'd love a combination of the camera of the Avata, on the Gimbal of the Mavic 2 Pro with the Speed & Power of the FPV in the form factor of the Avata :-D Oh there's always room for improvement methinks!

Reactions: Halifax and KLRSKIR
I have accumulated some expensive paperweights... May need to cull the Squadron further.

Actually put the Mini 3 Pro up the other day, couldn't shoot a hyperlapse with the Avata.

So I had a real reason to pull out the boring camera drone. Absent that, it hadn't drank air for weeks.

I even find I'm flying the Avata for camera drone purposes often, with Horizon Steady doing such a superb job, and the 4k/60 camera doing a pretty darn good job. I'll take Avata footage any time I would have been happy with mini 2 or Air 2 footage.

The Avata can play camera drone in a lot of situations, and do it well. And be fun in the process. Could never really rely on a FPV drone this way before (i.e. my iFlight A85) because they can't play DJI camera drone, lacking GPS, position hold, and all the safeties and flight assistance that N mode provides.
I'm in the same boat, but won't part with any of my fleet. Avata has taken over 90% of my flights, but Cine and the Mini 3 still get the "boring" flight duty. 🤣

Reactions: Halifax and Barbara

I only use my Air 2 and P4P for stills for the most part . I'm doing things with the Avata I would never even think of doing with any of my other drones . Check out Spencer Boaz You Tube " Always wanted to do this " . I couldn't even get close with other drones . The Avata is the drone I've been looking for since I built my first one in 2015 and I have a fleet of dust collectors now .

Reactions: rktman
I only use my Air 2 and P4P for stills for the most part . I'm doing things with the Avata I would never even think of doing with any of my other drones . Check out Spencer Boaz You Tube " Always wanted to do this " . I couldn't even get close with other drones . The Avata is the drone I've been looking for since I built my first one in 2015 and I have a fleet of dust collectors now .
Here's that video... very peaceful.

Just an added thought: This sort of mission is a really good example where the stick RC controller shines. With the RC you can look up down while slowly moving and holding altitude. Slipping sideways is a great move in such dense complicated environments.

The RC isn't only useful for manual flight. I would use the RC for most purpose-oriented filming on the Avata for the reasons above.

Food for thought for those that don't ever plan to fly manual.

Reactions: deveihca
I fly my Avata a bit less than my other drones on average but not because I dislike it. I just split time between the other two. I have a mini 3 pro and Mavic 3 Classic that I enjoy as well. The Avata is not the best choice for out over a river in wind capturing bridge shots or above a 300ft building or any other example similar. Maybe it is and I just dont use it for that. I dont think my Avata has flown above 80 feet to be honest. It’s what I use for closer to the ground or indoors. I would use it more I think if the goggles were more comfortable.

I've had my Avata up to around 200', but the short arms really show instability in turbulent air up there. Nothing worrisome, just that you can really see it wobble and jank around more trying to hold attitude.

I've had the avata up in high winds and it was super stable, more so than the much bigger / heavier FPV...

I'm talking about turbulent air, not necessarily high winds (which are relative anyway, right?)

I fly a lot in the lift envelope right behind an ocean cliff, which produces curl and a lot of dirty air.

Nothing strong enough to seriously challenge any drone (great place to soar RC gliders), but enough to cause constant more vigorous correction than A2S and FPV, even the M3P.

Of that group, the Avata seems to have the toughest time holding position in N/S modes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz