Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

flying range limit in manual mode vs sport mode?

timeless35

Reaction score
I decided to venture further out today in manual mode but the drone fairly quickly kicked me out of manual mode back to normal mode for no obvious reason. I thought maybe I lost signal but then I tried the same route in sport mode and I was able to go much further without any issue.

Is there a different flying range in manual mode compared to normal or sport mode?

Thinking back about it I'm wondering if I was hitting my max altitude and that's why it was reverting back to normal mode but I don't remember seeing any warning on the screen except for something like "manual mode disabled". Not sure about the exact wording of the message.

Just curious is someone else had similar behavior?

If you hit your configured altitude or distance limit it will kick you out of manual mode, yes.

It will also do so if you cross a GEO zone boundary (even if you can fly on both sides it'll kick you out when you cross the line, you just push it a bit further in normal mode and reengage manual).

Reactions: Fpvbefokt
If you hit your configured altitude or distance limit it will kick you out of manual mode, yes.

It will also do so if you cross a GEO zone boundary (even if you can fly on both sides it'll kick you out when you cross the line, you just push it a bit further in normal mode and reengage manual).
I didn't know about the GEO zone. Guess I'll have to try again next time I'm out

It likely is a bug, but here it's been consistent. Look at the GEO map for where you're flying, will be pretty obvious if that is it.

I didn't know about the GEO zone. Guess I'll have to try again next time I'm out
You'd know if you are near or in one. it will tell you with a warning dialog before takeoff.

@Kilrah I strongly suspect it's deliberate, for safety.

I decided to venture further out today in manual mode but the drone fairly quickly kicked me out of manual mode back to normal mode for no obvious reason. I thought maybe I lost signal but then I tried the same route in sport mode and I was able to go much further without any issue.

Is there a different flying range in manual mode compared to normal or sport mode?

Thinking back about it I'm wondering if I was hitting my max altitude and that's why it was reverting back to normal mode but I don't remember seeing any warning on the screen except for something like "manual mode disabled". Not sure about the exact wording of the message.

Just curious is someone else had similar behavior?
Have you checked the max distance setting? That's why I got the "Unable to switch to M mode" message.
M mode not activating
If it's not due to a GEO zone or the max distance there is a good chance the .DAT will provide some relevant info. Take a look at
.DAT available
to see how to retrieve the .DAT.

Have you checked the max distance setting? That's why I got the "Unable to switch to M mode" message.
M mode not activating
If it's not due to a GEO zone or the max distance there is a good chance the .DAT will provide some relevant info. Take a look at
.DAT available
to see how to retrieve the .DAT.
I removed the max distance limit. I only limit the altitude to below 400ft. I'll take a look at the DAT file.

I'm having the same behavior. From my home, I can go west, north and south until the RC signal is almost zero. But when I turn to east, I can fly just a few meters away and then the drone gets out of M mode to N mode. The warning message is: "No M Mode: UAV too high/far". I have to come back near my home to make the warning disappear and the M Mode can be engaged again. I don't know why or what triggers this warning.

Check the geo map to see if there's a restricted zone there.

Oh that's it. It's a transition line between a restricted zone to a no restricted zone. I understand that the software prioritizes safety, but I think that flying from inside to an outside a restricted zone, the manual mode shouldn't be turned off. If were the other way around, it's ok to turn it off.
Screenshot_2021-08-07-08-46-53-739_dji.go.v5.jpg

As mentioned it's likely a bug, when it kicks you out of manual you can fly a bit further in N mode, then go back to manual and it works, it's when you cross the line that it stops for some reason.
I haven't tried to see if that was fixed in the new firmware.

It hasn’t been fixed as of this post. I received the same error and I wasn’t crossing a restricted GEO zone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya