Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Getting into FPV with DJI's new drone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dronemaster

Reaction score
I'm really intrigued by the new DJI FPV Drone and I'm thinking of getting it. I've flown cinematic (DJI, Holy Stone, Parrot, etc.) but I definitely want to try FPV. Unfortunately, I have a condition where I can't do soldering and stuff like that (you definitely don't want me as your surgeon LMAO). Do you think this would be a good drone to try out outside of getting a ready-built quad? Basically, is this a good stepping ground into experiencing FPV? I particularly like that you can switch flying modes plus the safety modes can definitely hep me once I get the shakes. 4k shooting and the long range is pretty nice, too. Lastly, I'm confident in DJI as a brand so I'm almost decided in pulling the trigger on this, unless you can say something that can pursue me to choose something else?

Hey dronemaster,

Welcome and congrats on your first post!

The new DJI FPV drone will be a great fit for many people. It is packed with features and capabilities that provide additional safety and assistance. I've had my hands on one briefly for a 3 day span and just had a chance to fly it for one brief flight yesterday. I can say that it an impressive price of technology. I'm a hard core FPV'er and I already have my order in to receive it Monday evening so I can release a Day 0 video on it. But what I can tell you is that the assisted flight modes available on the DJI are a great fit for many people looking to fly FPV for the sake of the FPV experience. There is also a motion sensor enabled controller that I haven't tried yet but looks interesting. What I mean by that, is if what you are after is that feeling of flight from the first person, DJI delivers that in an impressive way. It has impressive power, long flight times and is very tuned quite well. The camera on the drone is great and the gimbal offers Mavic like capabilities (albeit limited) but from the first person's view. The sensors and and safety features ensure smooth take offs and landings and you can get a better view of the ground unlike fixed camera FPV racing drones. The "holy ****" button puts you in a "safe" hover if you get into trouble and the collision protection sensors will provide additional safety (but don't rely on them). It has an ACRO mode but if this is your main objective, don't buy the DJI FPV drone. Sure it can do amazing things but you really need to be a skilled pilot in ACRO mode, because one wrong move and... well let's just say it will be very expensive. You won't want to learn ACRO on this drone.

Now, a carbon fiber-framed FPv "racing" drone is built to take a beating. Built properly, they can survive dozens of crashes with only damaged props (cheap fix). This is the weapon of choice if you want to explore your inner Mr. Steele or crush bandos like LeDrib.. But, the reality is that you can configure a racing drone to have some limited options for helping you master your skills. Too many people sky away from ANGLE or horizon mode because "real men" fly ACRO only. That's total BS and all the flight modes offer specific benefits depending on the situation. I fly my FPV drones alot to explore new unreachable places and you can't do that in ACRO. I have have my flight modes on a switch were I can quickly change modes mid flight withot taking my fingers off the sticks. I may be doing flippy-floppies one minute, then like a cat on a laser see something I want to check out, flip it in angle or horizon, then hover around and check thing out be fore I punch out to 300ft and resume my acro play. Sure, there are no sensors on an racing drone so you will crash into stuff and you don't have the cool capabilities of a gimbal to change your camera angle on the fly (no yet, but it's coming very soon), but you have a tough, agile beast of a quad under your control. Feels good!

So basically I think it comes down to what user experience you are after. want to be able to bring your drone somewhere to get it fixed when you crash... You probably will crash regardless of the drone you chose... Sorry, statistics don't lie. I didn't talk about the cameras alot, but what your intentions are for the videos you capture may also affect your decision. Are you looking to impress your gradma or use t for creating content. Both can be achieved with both setups but one is turnkey where as the other needs more work to get setup right.

There's no right or wrong answer, it just depends on what you want for your user experience. I suspect the DJI FPV drone will sell better than many other consumer drone offerings in history which ultimately means FPV s a hobby wins. With more consumers, there will be more and better products and many DJI droners will make their way to flying racing style drones once they get hooked on the feeling of FPV but get tired of paying DJI service after every crash. In the end, we all win!

Hope this helps you a little and good luck with your decision. Either way the FPV drone community will be here to help.

Hey dronemaster,

Welcome and congrats on your first post!

Great post! I'm new to the forum but been flying Mavics for a few years and started FPV last summer, flying acro on a Tinyhawk indoors. Plan on getting the DJI FPV drone in a few months. It was good hearing your favorable first impressions as an experienced FPV pilot.

I'm really intrigued by the new DJI FPV Drone and I'm thinking of getting it. I've flown cinematic (DJI, Holy Stone, Parrot, etc.) but I definitely want to try FPV. Unfortunately, I have a condition where I can't do soldering and stuff like that (you definitely don't want me as your surgeon LMAO). Do you think this would be a good drone to try out outside of getting a ready-built quad? Basically, is this a good stepping ground into experiencing FPV? I particularly like that you can switch flying modes plus the safety modes can definitely hep me once I get the shakes. 4k shooting and the long range is pretty nice, too. Lastly, I'm confident in DJI as a brand so I'm almost decided in pulling the trigger on this, unless you can say something that can pursue me to choose something else?
Join us here New DJI FPV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Young_Kinslee23232