Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Goggles gone bad

rktman

Reaction score
Man this is disappointing:

20210411_100041.jpg

Nothing bad, rough, etc. has happened to the goggles. This mess appears identical to both eyes (there are separate display screens for each eye, yes?), so it's weird that this "damage" is the same on both eyes -- would suggest it's NOT something mechanical that scratched/rubbed the screen.

Anyway, HELP! I have Care Refresh, but have never used it, ever, for any of the DJI drones I've had over the years. Also, my CF agreement only lists the aircraft and gimbal as covered, doesn't mention the goggles. So they AREN'T covered? Can anyone speak authoritatively on this?

I'm pretty bummed.

Also, not that it necessarily means anything, but the 3D perspective of this "stuff" is it's closer to the eye than the image on the screen. That may or may not have significance.

Man this is disappointing:

View attachment 5176

Nothing bad, rough, etc. has happened to the goggles. This mess appears identical to both eyes (there are separate display screens for each eye, yes?), so it's weird that this "damage" is the same on both eyes -- would suggest it's NOT something mechanical that scratched/rubbed the screen.

Anyway, HELP! I have Care Refresh, but have never used it, ever, for any of the DJI drones I've had over the years. Also, my CF agreement only lists the aircraft and gimbal as covered, doesn't mention the goggles. So they AREN'T covered? Can anyone speak authoritatively on this?

I'm pretty bummed.

Also, not that it necessarily means anything, but the 3D perspective of this "stuff" is it's closer to the eye than the image on the screen. That may or may not have significance.
This looks like direct sunlight damage. Prolonged sun light directly into the eye lenses will do this.

Reactions: harleydude
Agree. This is "sunburn".
The lenses focus on the screen so you see a clear image. But this also creates a really hot spot on the display if you let the lenses facing the sun. Kind of like making fire with a magnifying glass but "burning" the displays.

XWlpP.jpg

Last edited:
This mess appears identical to both eyes (there are separate display screens for each eye, yes?), so it's weird that this "damage" is the same on both eyes -- would suggest it's NOT something mechanical that scratched/rubbed the screen.
Sun has damaged both displays, same movement of the goggle facing the sun and therefore same burn pattern in both screens.

Sounds like a simple fix... wonder if I can get the display somewhere? x2

With a bit of luck the displays are the same as those used in one of the multiple VR goggle kits you can find on aliexpress.

1618239269914.png

Or buy new goggles, put the defective ones in, return the stupid things. Profit.
That would not be profit for me. Seriously.

I'm an honest person, throughout my 59 years, and believe it or not it's a source of pride. Ironically I'm watching looting in MN right now because of the Officer Involved Shooting yesterday.

How poignant.

The price for each display module is 152€ at DJI repair center.
:oops:

I suppose that means repair is gonna run about half the cost of the goggles!

And that's completely ridiculous... I can get a 1080p capacitive touch display about that size for $30 on eBay, Amazon, etc.

Still, like a meth addict, gotta have it. Already started the repair process.

Reactions: mrmund
That would not be profit for me. Seriously.

I'm an honest person, throughout my 59 years, and believe it or not it's a source of pride. Ironically I'm watching looting in MN right now because of the Officer Involved Shooting yesterday.

How poignant.
Good for you!!

Yup, exactly that. Never leave goggles with the lenses facing the sun.
Something some people don't often think about... but that includes hanging round your neck. Don't do it. Put them up on your forehead so the screen isn't in the sun.

Reactions: A.O.
Something some people don't often think about... but that includes hanging round your neck. Don't do it. Put them up on your forehead so the screen isn't in the sun.
Fortunately the headstrap doesn't allow hanging around the neck.

This looks like direct sunlight damage. Prolonged sun light directly into the eye lenses will do this.
It doesn't even take prolonged exposure, this can happen in mere seconds under the right conditions, it is the number 1 rule with these types of goggles to keep them facing away from the sun. I have even heard of a few people having this happen just with the light leak while being worn.

Reactions: Madhungarian
I have even heard of a few people having this happen just with the light leak while being worn.
That’s ridiculous.

There were 2 green dots on my goggles after 2 weeks of ownership. Never exposed under the sun and always kept in my camera backpack after use. After contacting DJI they just issued a replacement combo without any pushback after seeing my photo of the 2 green dots. Already sent mine in and got approved for replacement. Just waiting for the new one to be shipped.

Reactions: A.O. and mrmund

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agevorgi