Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Goggles?

Gotrdone

Reaction score
Not sure on what goggles to buy for the hawk 5 pro. I’m new to this but don’t want to start off at the bottom. What does everyone else use?

You’ve got yourself a good quad in the Hawk and so I’d be looking at a minimum of a reasonable set of diversity goggles. A lot of folk here have either used or still use EV800D goggles but as always, your budget will dictate your choice. I’ve got an older set of Fatshark V3 dominators coupled with a TBS fusion receiver that work pretty well, although you can certainly improve on that set up.
If you are moving into the Fatshark space, the cost is a little bit steep and you need to add quite a bit more for a quality receiver/antenna setup. There are other brands of similar type goggles but again you normally get what you pay for.
Probably should also have asked whether you have a good transmitter to go with the Hawk Pro. The investment is around your neck and on your head in this hobby. No see - no fly.

Most of the ones out there are pretty good, and great vision isn't what makes a great pilot, but it does make it nicer to fly. Decide what your total outside budget could be, and then save a little more, goggles and radio you don't want to skimp on. Let us know that number and we can tell you the very best choices in that range.

Reactions: dirkclod and tevek
$350 is where I’m at and if I do choose a set how do I know if they work on my drone. I guessing each board on the drone is for the drone the transmitter and the goggles since there is three circuit boards. Just guessing,I’m still learning this stuff and I’m learning from you guys thanks.

Hi @Gotrdone , almost any goggles will work with that quad and most others on the market as it is analogue. Digital is where things change so none of the DJI goggles will work with that quad.
Is that $350 USD? I'm in Australia so just checking.

I think your best options for that price is either...

The Fatshark Attitude V5 ($299) if you can find them in stock anywhere which will come in around budget by the time you add a set or 2 of 18650 batteries and a charger for them. They come with reasonable antennas.

The other (and possibly better) choice would be the Skyzone 02C ($259.99) which would leave the extra for a good set of antennas (the ones that come with are not good) and a dedicated battery to run them with.

The other elephant in the room is the Eachine EV300D's ($319), they seem like a good option and perform really well, the screens look really good and they have both IPD and focus adjustments (focus adjustment replaces needing diopters for us blind folks), new pairs should have a firmware update that makes the latency issue (about 100-130ms compared to about 35ms) when they were first released a non issue.

I think one of the biggest things to keep in mind is whether you have perfect vision, or wear glasses, and how bad your vision is (and any astigmatism) on whether you can wear this type with diopters. The other thing is where you can get each of these, Skyzones go to RaceDayQuads hands down, FS Attitude V5 good luck finding them, and EV300D you just about have to go to Banggood or Eachine so they will be 1-3 months from getting to you.

If you have good vision, or have vision in the -2 to -6 diopter range I think the Skyzone 02C or 02X are the way to go, if you can save a little more than your $350 then I would give the Skyzone 03O a look ($399 but you need decent antennas and a battery).

Reactions: Wayno52
Looks like the EV300D's are on special with code from Banggood.
Could be a steal really.

$286.99 Coupon :BGPREEV300D
Software Upgrade Guide (USB): https://myosuploads3.banggood.pdf Firmware: MERGE.zip ( EV300d Release Notes V0.2.25 2020-02-25 )

Click here to download the manual: EV300D.pdf
More parameter: Eachine EV300D.pdf

Specifications:
Frequency: 5.8GHZ
Frequency range: 5333—5945 M Hz
Receiver Sensitivity: ≤-93DB
Connector of receiver: SMA-Female
Antenna impedance: 50Ω
Audio and video: AV in/out
Video format: NTSC/PAL
Brightness: Adjustable
Contrast: Adjustable
Pupil Distance adjusting: 56-72mm
Focal length adjusting:Under 800 degree of myopia and Hyperopia 300 degrees
Eyeglass frames: astigmatism/ myopia/hyperopia(Diopter lens not include)
Power input: DC 7.4V-28V
Minimum voltage: 6.8V
Operating temperature:-10C ~ 40C
Net Weight: 208g
Weight: 340g (with modules)
Package Included:
1 X EV300D goggles
1 X Zipper case
1 X 18650 battery case
1 X Sponge
2 X EVA pad
2 X Eyeglass frames
2 X Third party module cover
2 X FPV receiver
1 X Lens wiping cloth
1 X User Manual
Note: not included the battery and antenna

Reactions: HighTechPauper
When I look around at prices and availability, and you see a product like the Skyzone 02C, Bangood is much more expensive than say RDQ, and you know how long it takes to get stuff from Banggood even before Covid and all the issues now with shipping, add onto that the fact that there is 'pull your hair out" support from Banggood or Eachine, and I think it is a recipe for disaster. If all I had was max $350, I would get the 02C's from RDQ and grab a set of VAS Ion Pro's or Minion Pro's and a couple of 90 degree adapters, it handles a 2-6s and I think it is XT60 connector on their battery cable.

Last edited:
That is a terrible price (compared to the $260 for the white set that you could have in 2-3 days from RDQ), they are gouging because they are the black color ones, I would contact RDQ if I really wanted black and special order), But white is so much better for heat absorption and build up than darker colors. Those are the stock dipole antennas that are not very good compared to aftermarket ones, they will work ok as long as there is nothing to multipath off of like an open field.

Thank you. The more I look around the more I like the EV800d. They look kind of big but I like the screen size and not sure if I’ll like the binocular style so maybe I should start with a beginner type goggle. Thanks everyone but I think EV800d is the one and man are they cheap compared to everything else.

They are definitely cheaper and some people love them. I personally could not fly with them at all and upgraded to skyzone sky01 a long time ago.
Then I bought Aomway Commander V1
And now I have Fatshark HDO's and love them. Good luck, hopefully they work out for you.

EV800D are a great goggle for the money, and when your ready to move up you can use the display as a good external monitor (really helpful when setting up quad and troubleshooting video/OSD) as well as have a "ride along" set to take people for a ride. Do yourself a favor and make sure new people are sitting down, you don't need anyone falling over when you do a flip or barrel roll, and it will happen if you are standing up in the beginning.

Yep, I still can't fly standing unless I'm leaning against something.
Great tip.
Same, same. I have to either sit down or lean on a fence, otherwise i'm hitting the ground. Don't know how people can just stand there and get on with it. Just ordered a Digidapter for my DJI goggles so that I can fly both analogue and digital and leave some of the gear at home. Going the full geek... Grant must get pretty excited when either of us get in touch with him.

1597717621774.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas