Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Help in understanding-- Why does it land so quickly

Unit1

Reaction score
Hello All,
Just looking for some insight as to why my drones are behaving this way.

I have 2 identical generic micro drones. Both have adopted the same pattern of behavior. When first purchased they would fly for between 4-5 minutes.

After about a dozen flights, they no longer will stay in the air more then 20 seconds, at which point the it slowly descends to ground and hovers about 1nch from... and just stays there.
Any throttle up attempts are ignored. And the status LED is still blue not red (low battery).

Now, if I power off the microdrone and immediately turn it back on, I can take off and fly around with all the power of a freshly charged battery (but its not,... its the same bat) for another 20 seconds at which point it slowly decends and stays there. Status still blue not red.

My first thought was, bad batteries. So I bought some high quality replacements with their own charger. All 3 bats have the same results. 20 seconds of flight... then descend
Note: removed all props looking for hair wrapped around shaft-- none!

Is this a case of planned (pre-programmed) obsolescence? Can I overcome this behavior?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Unit1

PROBLEM SOLVED!! - I found that one of the motors was way overheating - around 130 F.
What fooled me this whole time, was that the drone was hovering perfectly, so I assumed all the motors were fine.

I'm purely guessing here, but I think the flight controller was detecting that one of the motors was malfunctioning, not by temperature but more then likely the bad motor was probably drawing too much current to do it's job and after 20 seconds it starts landing procedure.

So, I stole a motor from (Drone #2) and replaced the overheating unit... and now it's flying again.

I hope this helps someone.
Unit1

Reactions: Fishdeth and okw
Well done.
Brushed micro motors can wear out quickly and become less efficient. It hovers close to the ground like that because of ground effect (catching air between the ground and the quad making an efficient high pressure pocket.)

Reactions: Keifie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput