Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Andy_nzl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am very new to the world of fpv. I bought an RTF package a few months back and have been loving it. It’s a 5inch 6s quad. Unfortunately while filming some on water sports, the quad went for a swim! I managed to get it back from the salty sea about 5 hours later. I washed it in fresh water and isopropyl, dried it, and put it back together. The esc was fried I believe. When I test with multimeter there is a short circuit. I have since replaced the ESC and BEC and now the drone fires up.
Here’s the problem, once I give it any throttle the motors sound like the try to rev up for a split second and then they cut out. I’m assuming it’s the smoke stopper that is cutting it out. I have been looking all over the internet for resolutions but am stuck! My lack of any basic knowledge about electronics or quads is killing me cause I can’t figure anything out! Can anyone provide me with any assistance or ideas/ fault finding methods? If you do reply, please do so remembering I am an absolute novice with no knowledge so you will have to dumb everything down to the absolute basics!
Thanks in advance ??

Reactions: Keifie
If you are using one that looks like this and you are giving throttle, it lights up, motors spin up a little then the esc reboots like when you plug in your battery you are fine. If it lights up before you arm there is an issue.IMG_2475.jpg

If you are using one that looks like this and you are giving throttle, it lights up, motors spin up a little then the esc reboots like when you plug in your battery you are fine. If it lights up before you arm there is an issue.View attachment 5400
My smoke stopper doesn’t have a light, it just cuts power if there’s a short. The motors spin when the drone is armed but as soon as I try to power them up they cut off (assuming that’s the smoke stopper kicking in). I’m half tempted to try it without smoke stopper but don’t want to fry anything… when I put multimeter on flight controller power terminals, I can’t find a short. Very confusing.

The smoke stopper's fuse prevents a short, by limiting the current coming from the battery. Powering up your motors greater then the max current of your smoke stopper blowing the poly fuse in your smoke stopper cutting out your motors.

Reactions: mrmund and Kilrah
Yep, what Fast and Curious said. Totally normal with a smoke stopper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya