Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Help with my FPV signal!!!!!

Jimmyb-fpv

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So I need some advice if possible.

I have just built a new racing drone everything works fine apart from my FPV feed it's awful.

I have a TBS unify pro vtx with a tbs triumph antenna my camera is a swift 2 all connected to a betaflight f3 fc.

I have signal coming through to a pair of fatshark dom v3's.

Literally if I turn my head away from the drone I loose signal which isn't very good when your trying to fly obviously.

Any tips would be handy. I'm pretty new to this so forgive my stupidness.

Cheers everyone.

James

Jimmy,

Yeah, you've definitely got an issue. Those components are top notch. Are you running your camera off of the VTX or off of the BF F3? How is your VTX wired to the BF F3? What antenna's are you using and what module is in your Fatsharks? Also, have you actually flown it or are you just bench testing?

Jerry

Hey thanks for the reply. I tried powering the camera through the VTX but I don't get a picture I can see the fc information through my screen but no video feed. At the moment I have the camera wired in to the fc. Yellow wire to video in black to ground. Vtx yellow to video out ground to ground I get a picture now but it's seriously bad. Ive flown it and i completely loose signal im using the tbs triumph antennas Module on fatshark is just
Fat Shark 5.8Ghz 32ch Race Band Receiver Module

Jimmy,

I'd have to do a little research on the Unify, I'm using Tramp HV's in my builds. How are you powering the VTX? Do you have any connections to the RAM and the AGND pads on the BFF3? Your power source should be the RAM pad and both your camera and VTX need to be grounded to the AGND pad. Have you jumped the right pads for power on the BFF3 (VBAT/RAM)?

Jerry

Hey. Yes I have bridged the connections just like in that diagram above. Is it possible that my jump solder is weak? I'm grabbing for any resolution here ?? :(

Jimmy,

I guess it's possible. You're not really addressing most of my questions. Personally, I'm going to suspect wiring first. I do know if you don't have the camera and VTX both grounded to AGND you will have video transmission problems. After wiring, I'd look for a ground issue. The two biggest culprits are motor screws that are too long causing them to make contact with the motor windings and antenna connections making contact with the carbon fiber frame. A continuity test with your multi-meter can easily rule that out. It's also possible that your not transmitting on the right channel/band. Video issues are sometimes difficult to isolate but using a process of elimination can usually identify the problem.

Jerry

JT.

Sorry man I appreciate your efforts to help me.

How would I know if I'm not on the right channel or band?

I can send you pictures of my set up later when I finish work if that's okay?

Cheers JT

Jimmy,

Many times the channels will overlap. So you may be able to "see" the video from one channel on several different channels. Obviously, if you set the Unify to a specific channel/band then you just need to insure that same channel/band on your FS. When I'm unsure of the specific channel/band of a particular VTX, I have a small, cheap monitor with an auto scan process that will search all channels/bands and lock in on the ones with a good signal.

Unless you have a defective Unify or BFF3, which is probably the least likely, it's most likely one of the things I mentioned in my previous post. You can post (upload) pictures here, that way if someone else has a similar issue they may be able to resolve it by reading this thread.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

Forgive my stupidness but the fatsharks just automatically connect to the correct channel don't they?

Of is this something else I don't know about?

Cheers

Jimmy,

I have the Dom V2's not the V3's so I don't know anything about the V3's but my V2's don't connect automatically.

Jerry

Hello...

Just an update.

I've just disconnected my radio receiver and guess what?

My video feed is almost perfect!

Any ideas on why this would be? I know it could interfere but what am I suppose to do about the receiver as I sort of need it :)

Thank
Jimmy

Vtx and Rx should be as far away from each other as possible. You could also try some capacitors, on your ESCs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax