Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

How long?

Bstanton89

Reaction score
how long did it take some of you from the time you started flying fpv in acro until you could consistently fly a very basic track? I’ve been flying in the liftoff simulator for a couple of months(not everyday) but i feel like I’m just not grasping the fine control thing. And it has resulted in my having to replace parts every time I fly the real deal. I know, I know, crashing and rebuilding is part of it, but I feel like whatever progress I was making at first is stalled, I’m just not getting any better at fine control. Any tips or anybody care to honestly share about how long it took them to get it down?

Reactions: M3talrocksFPV
Yes, that would be fun for lunch breaks and stuff, but I gotta cool it on my quad spending atleast until the wife cools back down, lol, just started from scratch about a month ago, built a quad, got goggles, and a transmitter, batteries, charger, basically everything to get started, do you have any recommendations for rates for a beginner? I just wanna be able to fly a track eventually. Not looking to break any speed records, just successfully fly a whole track without crashing out.

how long did it take some of you from the time you started flying fpv in acro until you could consistently fly a very basic track? I’ve been flying in the liftoff simulator for a couple of months(not everyday) but i feel like I’m just not grasping the fine control thing. And it has resulted in my having to replace parts every time I fly the real deal. I know, I know, crashing and rebuilding is part of it, but I feel like whatever progress I was making at first is stalled, I’m just not getting any better at fine control. Any tips or anybody care to honestly share about how long it took them to get it down?
Honestly it took like 30 packs before I could confidently say, "i'm not going to crash". But of course i push myself each flight to get better and end up with something broken (usually a prop or antenna). Helps that I've flown helicopters and fixed wings for 20 years before getting a kwad. So let's say about a good 6-8 month's when I was first starting out with just helicopters

Haha you really love the micro’s Green. But I have to agree 100 percent. I got a brushless whoop not long ago and you can fly it anywhere at any time. Definitely worth a look.
But I believe we all clicked with it at our own pace. I flew angle then horizon for months before I attempted acro. Mistake though. It’s all about stick time and rate lowering will definitely take the edge off.
On day it just all happens.
Good luck

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
I agree with all the flying veterans, it just takes a lot of stick time, many fustrating moments. Crashing is part of the learning curve. But once your skills improve, you're going to start crashing less then you will start to feel better about flying quads. The confidence factor takes over. You can't just expect it to come.overnight. some pros. Some pros recommend flying the same quad, with same settings, same gear all the time, Everytime, to hone your FPV skills. I think if you also get a cheap 'basher' drone to practice with, you don't have to worry about wrecking your prized one(s). Then once you get better, you can switch back over to your good quad(s). Here is a little one that's good for practice that won't break the wallet, and the wifey won't get angry about. You can order with or without fpv goggles.

Eachine E013 Micro FPV RC Drone Quadcopter With 5.8G 1000TVL 40CH Camera VR006 VR-006 3 Inch Goggles Sale - Banggood Mobile

just slow down! be exact in every move! its all about the throttle control. then go fast...
I tell that to my son all the time. He tends to be a lead-finger (thumb) on the throttle. He rips but when he panics, he ends up in major crashes (in a split second). Then we gotta assess the damages and estimate the repair cost.

Reactions: Wayno52
I try to teach him the style I fly - slow and steady, sticking to the basics. I tell him to practice your laps, your turns until they are smooth and natural to you. But he wants to just rip into hairpins. When you keep doing the basics, then you can add on the 'fancy' stuff later, one at a time. I cotrol the LiPo usage between him & I cause he tends to damage them fast. Today is the first I let him go on his own & borrowed 4 packs. I told him not to overfly them and try not to crash. I am a little stressed today. LOL

to answer the question though... Nate (21yo son) flew heli's starting with a blade cx to start (early 2001?). then 450 sized helis... so he had stick time. then we got bored and a good 4 years past. then fpv and boom...in one year he went from unable to fly in auto level to God awful awesome in a year. i think having me as his pit crew to repair stuff (a constant) helped his learning curve (0 cost to him). i go slower and don't plan to catch up with him... its cheaper my way but if i try chaining tricks together like he does.. i crash.
i guess it's all about $$
build, fly, crash... repeat

Wow, Futurasmile. You seem to be similar to me. I do all the builds & repairs, and my son flies better than me. He had a lot of stick time using a flight simulator on his phone (control via Bluetooth). He took to the real things faster than I picked it up. If he can only learn how to mellow out a little in his piloting, he can get well-rounded in his skills.

Reactions: Futuramille
I'm still having a ton of fun.. sons gone for the summer, i got four batteries in yesterday and the recordings had "old guy" written all over them. but it was fun

its all about how often you fly though... every turn im trying to make smooth, no matter how simple.. slow down rolls and flips.. don't be snappy.. fly it.. pick and spot visual targets before every move to ensure orientation with the ground. don't just punch it a pray

Reactions: NeoCloneOne

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax