Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

How/Where do I access the DJI Flight Simulator

Greatsign1

Reaction score
I have seen videos and article that refer to it but I have not seen anyone detail how to access, please help. Also does the simulator work with the motion controller. I'm looking to practice on the simulator before flying my new Avata. Thanks

The only DJI simulator I know of runs only on iPhone, and does not support the MC.

I have seen videos and article that refer to it but I have not seen anyone detail how to access, please help. Also does the simulator work with the motion controller. I'm looking to practice on the simulator before flying my new Avata. Thanks
It appears the simulator is more for you to practice before going to Manual mode (FPV Remote Controller 2 required).

Just go really slow with your drone and you'll be fine.

DJI Virtual Flight supports the motion controller and regular controller. But it does not support the new Goggles 2 yet. Supposedly they're working on it.

The simulator runs on Android with FPV RC 2, you have to install APK from DJI download DJI Avata - Download Center - DJI
Well...I'd be hesitant about doing that...because I did that, and it turned out very badly.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S20 Note, which I bought specifically because, when I bought my first Mini-2, my previous phone wouldn't run DJI Fly. It's worked flawlessly in that role...until now.

My phone is very seriously not compatible with the Android version of the SIM app. Crashed the app, crashed the phone.

I figured I had my "DJI phone" when I bought the S20, but incompatibility is the most likely explanation for the symptoms that I've seen. I've asked DJI Support for the "known good" phone list, but I haven't gotten it yet.

My advice? If you get the slightest hint of incompatibility when you try to integrate the Android sim app, just bail until you can confirm that the app is known to be compatible with your phone. If you don't, you'll just waste a lot of annoying time trying to make it work.

That's what I did...

You access it from the goggles, which are attached to your iPhone .. under the menus on the left side of the goggle display ... works fine w. iPhone, and very realistic. Used it for about an hour before I cranked up my Avata, and had no problems .. and it DOES work with the motion controller.

The android version posted on the Avata downloads page works fine with the goggles 2 (and RC) for me.
It seems that success is more dependent on which phone you use, rather than on just the Android version. My Android OS is current; it auto-updates. I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 Note with 128 GB of memory, which I bought because my previous Android phone wouldn't run DJI Fly.

I don't have the Goggles 2 yet, so my experience is with the Goggles V2 (lousy naming convention!) that comes with the DJI FPV.

I've asked DJI Support for a list of the Android devices known to be compatible with the Android version of the sim, but I haven't seen it yet. If any of you can provided a link to that list, that would be great.

Thx

It appears the simulator is more for you to practice before going to Manual mode (FPV Remote Controller 2 required).

Just go really slow with your drone and you'll be fine.
If you plan on using Manual (Acro) mode, then you best learn to fly in a sim before flying Manual IRL.

Reactions: rktman
If you plan on using Manual (Acro) mode, then you best learn to fly in a sim before flying Manual IRL.
This is vastly overrated as a "requirement". You can learn to fly safely in Manual mode with zero sim time. I did.

Getting sim time is a good idea; it just wasn't conveniently available for Android when I was ready to make the move up to Manual mode.

Also, it's important to distinguish between being in Manual mode, and flying acrobatics. I fly in Manual mode safely, but I have not tried, nor had any interest in, doing acrobatics.

I'm just a speed demon, and getting the max speed from the DJI FPV requires you to be in Manual mode, so I do that.

Also, yesterday I got a response from DJI Support saying that the FPV Virtual Flight App isn't compatible with Android. This, despite the fact that they had earlier released a version of the sim app that they said was compatible with Android.

It most certainly isn't compatible with my Android, a Samsung Galaxy S20 Note.

Runs fine on my Android Galaxy Fold 2.

Only way to run a sim using the goggles.

This is vastly overrated as a "requirement". You can learn to fly safely in Manual mode with zero sim time. I did.

Getting sim time is a good idea; it just wasn't conveniently available for Android when I was ready to make the move up to Manual mode.

Also, it's important to distinguish between being in Manual mode, and flying acrobatics. I fly in Manual mode safely, but I have not tried, nor had any interest in, doing acrobatics.

I'm just a speed demon, and getting the max speed from the DJI FPV requires you to be in Manual mode, so I do that.

Also, yesterday I got a response from DJI Support saying that the FPV Virtual Flight App isn't compatible with Android. This, despite the fact that they had earlier released a version of the sim app that they said was compatible with Android.

It most certainly isn't compatible with my Android, a Samsung Galaxy S20 Note.
You are the Rare exception then. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else. You just can go from a GPS drone and say hold my beer, I got this. For those who don't heed this, good luck.

Reactions: rktman
Runs fine on my Android Galaxy Fold 2.

Only way to run a sim using the goggles.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the sim worked on some Android phones, and not others. That's why I asked DJI Support for a list of "known good" Android phones for the sim. Their response was that the sim isn't compatible with Androids.

Sadly, I think we've all been the subjects of a surreptitious "field beta" test process, and the list will be compiled based on what we, the unknowing guinea pigs, report. And I say that as huge DJI fan!

The irony is, I'd have been happy to be a beta tester...if I'd been told that was what I was doing...

A bit conspiratorial? Perhaps, but I haven't yet seen an explanation that does a better job of accounting for all of the observations, than this one.

I'm pretty much over my annoyance, although the time I wasted is still irksome when I think about it. They'll get it right eventually, but they haven't yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya