Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

I had enough time to pull out!

DanijelT

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Let me introduce myself. My name is Danijel, 35 years old and from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Started flying FPV at the end of March. I have been having a blast practising, flying and learning everything about it.

What is want to share with you is a very painfull moment during one of my flights:

I should have pulled out and try again but i pushed it and completely destroyed the drone. Such a shame! The drone is being send to DJI for repair but i cannot imagine this being repairable.

Reactions: JoostGT3
Ha Danijel, wat kut zeg! Hopefully they'll fix it for not too much for you.
You're a braver man than me, for trying these powerloops through an obstacle. I haven't dared that yet! I did loops and rolls, but found that I forget to reduce throttle often, so it loses a lot of altitude during those manouvres. Now I am practicing with reducing the throttle when inverted, but always at high altitude. My next trick will be the split-S, should be a nice manoeuvre, but first at high altitude!
Take care mate! Cheers Joost

Ha Danijel, wat kut zeg! Hopefully they'll fix it for not too much for you.
You're a braver man than me, for trying these powerloops through an obstacle. I haven't dared that yet! I did loops and rolls, but found that I forget to reduce throttle often, so it loses a lot of altitude during those manouvres. Now I am practicing with reducing the throttle when inverted, but always at high altitude. My next trick will be the split-S, should be a nice manoeuvre, but first at high altitude!
Take care mate! Cheers Joost
Hey Joost! Bedankt voor je vriendelijke reactie! Timing powerloops can be tricky. Lower camera angle makes it a bit easier. Do you practise in a simulator? I could not have imagined flying manual or trying tricks without practising in the sim. I can do some pretty stuff cool stuff in the sim which i really don't dare to do in real life.

I have thought about replacing the DJI drone with a traditional FPV because crashing/repairing this thing is going to get really expensive! But i know that is will miss these amazing features on the DJI drone. Maybe in the future if they update the AIR unit i may build one.

Reactions: mrmund and JoostGT3
ouch, as @JoostGT3 said, brave man for trying... even attempting shows you must have built up some good skills on the dji fpv.
hope you have care refresh, as they'll replace it for you.
(otherwise, I hope they can give you a decent offer on a replacement)

I manage to have a minor (one arm) crash, which has made me a little more cautious, but in the heat of the moment, its easy to push it a little far.

Im going to get a traditional fpv for more risky maneuvers, and keep the dji for more soaring , long distance stuff - which I do love it for,

Wow that’s the most damage I’ve seen to a crashed DJI FPV drone. I don’t imagine there is much salvageable on that bird!

Repair. Not applicable in this instance. But, I’ve been wrong before.

ouch, as @JoostGT3 said, brave man for trying... even attempting shows you must have built up some good skills on the dji fpv.
hope you have care refresh, as they'll replace it for you.
(otherwise, I hope they can give you a decent offer on a replacement)

I manage to have a minor (one arm) crash, which has made me a little more cautious, but in the heat of the moment, its easy to push it a little far.

Im going to get a traditional fpv for more risky maneuvers, and keep the dji for more soaring , long distance stuff - which I do love it for,
Thanks Technobear! If i just had more patience and just tried again i would probably come close to looping it. But no, i got cocky and gunned it! Costly mistake but nevertheless a lesson.

I will probably get a traditional FPV aswell. I am just annoyed about the fact that i cant use my current controller with an AIR unit. I don't want to buy a new controller or the crazy expensive DJI one. But selling the DJI drone is not an option. Love it for what it is.

@Starz @PTMC I don't think they will even try to repair it. The will probably sell me a refurbished or new one. There is almost nothing that can be reeused. Even the flight controller and PCB's are bent. Maybe two motors and a prop. Or the ESC. That looks oke....

Hey Joost! Bedankt voor je vriendelijke reactie! Timing powerloops can be tricky. Lower camera angle makes it a bit easier. Do you practise in a simulator? I could not have imagined flying manual or trying tricks without practising in the sim. I can do some pretty stuff cool stuff in the sim which i really don't dare to do in real life.

I have thought about replacing the DJI drone with a traditional FPV because crashing/repairing this thing is going to get really expensive! But i know that is will miss these amazing features on the DJI drone. Maybe in the future if they update the AIR unit i may build one.
Yeah, I spend a lot of time in the sim, trying to complete all the time trials, to make the muscle memory work. I'm getting quite good at it, and don't mind doing powerloops, splits, loops, rolls etc, and lately I am becoming much more "precise" in positioning the drone where I want it to be (as in, flying through small holes etc.) in the sim.

In real life, I started flying in between obstacles much more as well. Just put the gimball horizontal and fly slow at first. The scariest is flying under obstacles, as my reaction is always full throttle when something starts to go wrong.

I'm in the same position as you in that I am looking to buy some traditional RTF or self-built FPV drone. It will need to work with the Caddx Nano, so I can fly it with the goggles V2, but then I would need to buy the DJI controller as well I think? TBH, I am getting the keys to my new house in July, so I think I spent enough money on drones for now... so no new acquisitions at this moment!

Yeah, I spend a lot of time in the sim, trying to complete all the time trials, to make the muscle memory work. I'm getting quite good at it, and don't mind doing powerloops, splits, loops, rolls etc, and lately I am becoming much more "precise" in positioning the drone where I want it to be (as in, flying through small holes etc.) in the sim.

In real life, I started flying in between obstacles much more as w ell. Just put the gimball horizontal and fly slow at first. The scariest is flying under obstacles, as my reaction is always full throttle when something starts to go wrong.

I'm in the same position as you in that I am looking to buy some traditional RTF or self-built FPV drone. It will need to work with the Caddx Nano, so I can fly it with the goggles V2, but then I would need to buy the DJI controller as well I think? TBH, I am getting the keys to my new house in July, so I think I spent enough money on drones for now... so no new acquisitions at this moment!
That sounds really good! Sim has been very important to get started flying manual. I think that this drone is great for getting people in the hobby!

Can you imagine how cool it would be to transfer the guts of this drone to a carbon frame! Where do you fly in Holland by the way? Any cool spots you would suggest me to visit?

Reactions: Halifax
Hi Danijel,
So sorry that you crashed your machine, but welcome to the club (of crashers!) of which I am a member in good (repeated) standing after 8 years of drone flying.
Onward and upward, Friend!

Hey guys!

Let me introduce myself. My name is Danijel, 35 years old and from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Started flying FPV at the end of March. I have been having a blast practising, flying and learning everything about it.

What is want to share with you is a very painfull moment during one of my flights:

I should have pulled out and try again but i pushed it and completely destroyed the drone. Such a shame! The drone is being send to DJI for repair but i cannot imagine this being repairable.
Welcome to the forum!

This definitely won’t be repaired. I had an accident with my DJI FPV about 2 weeks after purchase. Not nearly as much damage and the quote for repairs was higher than a replacement with care refresh. This was the extent of my damage:

Attachments

• BF552E44-183E-44B0-8BAF-A43FE508E4BA.jpeg
    BF552E44-183E-44B0-8BAF-A43FE508E4BA.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 8
  • 30AEDC7C-62F8-4A85-8D02-386B35A9B582.jpeg
    30AEDC7C-62F8-4A85-8D02-386B35A9B582.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8
Hey guys!

A moment of silence for that poor bird ?

Reactions: DanijelT
Welcome to the forum!

This definitely won’t be repaired. I had an accident with my DJI FPV about 2 weeks after purchase. Not nearly as much damage and the quote for repairs was higher than a replacement with care refresh. This was the extent of my damage:
True. I am getting an replacement from DJI. I am pretty surprised about your quotation. Why is it so high?

did you both get a breakdown on the quotation?
or just a simple - 'replacement of entire drone' ?

breakdowns are useful, so we get an idea of parts costs.
we know arms - and the parts they supply, props/camera but not things like sensor, shells.

on my crash, I got a breakdown of individual parts and labour.
but perhaps thats because they implied they were going to repair.
(whereas in fact, they just replaced the unit)

did you both get a breakdown on the quotation?
or just a simple - 'replacement of entire drone' ?

breakdowns are useful, so we get an idea of parts costs.
we know arms - and the parts they supply, props/camera but not things like sensor, shells.

on my crash, I got a breakdown of individual parts and labour.
but perhaps thats because they implied they were going to repair.
(whereas in fact, they just replaced the unit)
No breakdown for me just the price of a new drone and props. You can see on DJIs website prices for most of their parts. DJI

How long did you have to wait on your replacement? My status is “under repair”. Which is strange since the drone is going to be replaced.

I think it spent one day ‘under repair’, then shipped next day.
they seem to take one day per status update :)

(Day = working day , so nothing at weekend)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya