Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

I need a small dispensable/reparable fpv to practice close flying so I can get skilled with my DJI FPV

John Gowland

Reaction score
So can anyone suggest what small midrange or cheap fpv I can stick a gopro on and fly without the worry of losing $2,000AU.
That way with lots of practice I can be more confident with the DJI one. I will still fly the DJI but push my very low limits with a cheaper outfit.
Ta

If you have never flown anything else but the DJI fpv done, there is a big learning curve be prepared, it's not as simple as you might think. You might be better off just getting a backup DJI drone, it might be cheaper for you or DJI care, and practice with a simulator. You will need to get another controller most likely one that is made by DJI and that is 300 USD dollars alone and another 400+ for a drone. Not to mention the learning curve that comes with it and half the flight time\batteries etc Research it on youtube. Good luck! Oh yeah I forgot, and the repairs\parts and tools like soldering\configuration and the patience LOL Sorry there is nothing cheap about digital FPV.

Last edited:
Excellent, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.
That is also what I wrote after Captain Drone :)

I now have a brilliant option should I go down that path. But I was in two minds as you indicated. So I will stick with the DJI set up for the mo. Not really interested in flips and stuff just the speed close to things and the chase! In sports mode the DJI gets 100 km, the iFlight gets up to 130 km/h. I find manual mode pretty much useless it is so wind dependant. Slow into wind and fast with wind behind. I know FPVs are always manual.
Thanks again Madhugarian.

Reactions: Madhungarian
There are actually three modes for your typical FPV quad. I copied this from a website and it explains the differences.
What DJI calls ATTI mode is basically Angle Mode.

Angle Mode
The stick controls the angle of the drone, and when the control stick is in its maximum position, the drone will hold the maximum angle of tilt allowed. When the stick is released, the drone will become level with the ground. It does not allow the drone to flip.

Horizon Mode
Horizon mode, unlike Angle, allows the pilot to perform flips and rolls when the stick is in its maximum position. However, it is worth noting that flips in Horizon mode are not fully acrobatic, and the Acro mode is better suited for aerial stunts.

Acro Mode
It is also known as ‘Rate’ and ‘Manual’ mode, depending on the manufacturer. The drones are not self-adjusting and will continue on the same course and angle that was last provided by the pilot when they take their hands off the sticks. The acro mode gives complete control of the drone to the pilot and is thus not entirely suitable for beginners. If the stick is placed at an angle, the drone will continue to rotate along that angle and will not maintain a straight course, and when the pilot lets go of the stick, it will not level itself, and the pilot must use the opposite controls to level it themselves. It is a difficult configuration to learn, but is fully acrobatic and the pilot is not limited by the controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Blakkflame559
I went down that path a bit, didn't work. I'd suggest you get the motion controller for the dji to use day to day and then only use the controller to learn manual mode in the various sims. They are difficult for a while but less difficult than learning in one you expect to smash up.

There are actually three modes for your typical FPV quad. I copied this from a website and it explains the differences.

Angle Mode
The stick controls the angle of the drone, and when the control stick is in its maximum position, the drone will hold the maximum angle of tilt allowed. When the stick is released, the drone will become level with the ground. It does not allow the drone to flip.

Horizon Mode
Horizon mode, unlike Angle, allows the pilot to perform flips and rolls when the stick is in its maximum position. However, it is worth noting that flips in Horizon mode are not fully acrobatic, and the Acro mode is better suited for aerial stunts.

Acro Mode
It is also known as ‘Rate’ and ‘Manual’ mode, depending on the manufacturer. The drones are not self-adjusting and will continue on the same course and angle that was last provided by the pilot when they take their hands off the sticks. The acro mode gives complete control of the drone to the pilot and is thus not entirely suitable for beginners. If the stick is placed at an angle, the drone will continue to rotate along that angle and will not maintain a straight course, and when the pilot lets go of the stick, it will not level itself, and the pilot must use the opposite controls to level it themselves. It is a difficult configuration to learn, but is fully acrobatic and the pilot is not limited by the controls.
I did not know that. I only thought there was Normal, Sport and Manual mode. Thanks for that. I will have to find out how to engage all 3 you explained.

Reactions: Blakkflame559

Angle Mode

Horizon Mode

Acro Mode
How do I activate horizon mode?

No no no no unless you want break that beautiful machine keep it flying high were in belongs ( as I fly threw tree gap ;)) Grab a Arris 5" and beat the hell out of it.

I did not know that. I only thought there was Normal, Sport and Manual mode. Thanks for that. I will have to find out how to engage all 3 you explained.
The modes I posted are non-DJI. They are what you find on most all other quads. DJI does have what they call ATTI mode (much the same as angle mode in other quads but DJI will still hold your altitude where the other quads depend on your throttle control to maintain altitude), but it is not normally available. I had to do what they call a hack to assign it to one of the switch positions on my Mavic 2 Pro. I am not familiar with the DJI FPV quad and do not know if ATTI is available on it.

Reactions: John Gowland
No no no no unless you want break that beautiful machine keep it flying high were in belongs ( as I fly threw tree gap ;)) Grab a Arris 5" and beat the hell out of it.
I really am betwixt and between.
Going so fast and close to solid, even fluid, things, eventually we will crash. So, the ideal would be a fast relatively cheaper quad which can use the DJI r/c and goggles. I am off up to north of WA in the next few days when the school holidays end. But when I get back, I will get another fpv. For an old fart it is so exhilarating, I can’t go fast anymore but I can make other things go fast. There is time left in life to enjoy. Be safe, be happy and go fast.

So can anyone suggest what small midrange or cheap fpv I can stick a gopro on and fly without the worry of losing $2,000AU.
That way with lots of practice I can be more confident with the DJI one. I will still fly the DJI but push my very low limits with a cheaper outfit.
Ta
The TinyHawks are a great way to get started. Can be flown inside with limited risk of damaging it or the contents of your dwelling. Can fly it outside in light winds. Spend time on simulators first. FPV Freerider is simple and effective. Don’t try flying your DJI FPV in manual mode until highly experienced. They break easily. It is a great hobby, but you’ll need to plan on spending $1,000 or so a year to expand your equipment and collection of both analog and digital drones. Both have their advantages.

I really am betwixt and between.
Going so fast and close to solid, even fluid, things, eventually we will crash. So, the ideal would be a fast relatively cheaper quad which can use the DJI r/c and goggles. I am off up to north of WA in the next few days when the school holidays end. But when I get back, I will get another fpv. For an old fart it is so exhilarating, I can’t go fast anymore but I can make other things go fast. There is time left in life to enjoy. Be safe, be happy and go fast.
Anything that has the DJI or Caddx Vista "Air Unit" will let you use the DJI goggles.
Quads seem to be, say 300-500 pretty ready to go out of the box.
The learning curve is far steeper than I anticipated, but it's fun to learn, well when it's not totally frustrating...
The community is amazing though, with so many resources that even if you aren't inclined to electronics or computers it is still very possible to get flying.
And sounds like you might have the time, so might as well go fast, right.

I've been impressed with the durability of these things haven't broken much, but feel that I should have.

Have fun up north. I'm in the area.

Reactions: John Gowland
The speed is capped at 31 mph and it's suitable for beginners. Sport mode is a simplified FPV mode and a lot faster than normal mode with speeds up to 60 mph. The drone will still auto-level itself and hold its altitude in the sport mode. tellculvers com survey taco bell breakfast hours

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have found going between the FPV and the Avata has improved my flying a lot. My concern now is the horrible wobble footage of the FPV, the Avata is stable as, a pleasure to fly. So I am going to get an attachment for a GoPro hoping it will help the issue. I only have an old version but hope it is better footage.

Grab a Arris x220 comes pre bound to qx7 turn on and go like 285$ I believe

I'm using the x220 and the chameleon to beat up and practice until I get my HD carbon setup

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone