Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

LANDING...

A.O.

Reaction score
So do you guys take off the goggles to land? I know with my MA2 I could point the camera straight down and land right where it was pointing, but with this guy I cannot do that and with the goggles on its hard to judge what it directly below the drone, landing pad or what ever..
So how do you guys land this thing? Or do you get close and RTH it?

Reactions: JoostGT3
I get it close, press pause - then take off goggles, and land with goggle off..

I think its useful to be able to see all around when you are landing.

(I use pause this ensures its hovering once you've not your right stick 'unsprung' for manual mode)

Reactions: JoostGT3 and Kilrah
ditto. Although I let RTH land it most of the time. Lazy. Like landing straight down on a flat unobstructed surface is a skill I need to keep honing :rolleyes:

I always hand land (and launch) for both my Mavic and FPV. So definitely have to raise the goggles.

Reactions: mrmund
I get it close, press pause - then take off goggles, and land with goggle off..

I think its useful to be able to see all around when you are landing.

(I use pause this ensures its hovering once you've not your right stick 'unsprung' for manual mode)
I follow your approach as well. ?

ditto. Although I let RTH land it most of the time. Lazy. Like landing straight down on a flat unobstructed surface is a skill I need to keep honing :rolleyes:
But say you had a 3 foot round pad , would the RTH hit it??

I fly in close-ish hit pause so drone holds altitude with the un-sprung throttle. Lift the goggles and hand catch in normal mode. One thing I’ve started doing is having sunglasses close at hand. After ten mins in the goggles everything is very bright out. ?

But say you had a 3 foot round pad , would the RTH hit it??
maybe. depends on how good GPS is at the moment. Usually doesn't matter, it's wide open.

If there's any reason to take control, I do. I'm monitoring the landing of course. It's just that 99% of the time there's no need.

Funny thing, I almost always manually arm and take off. Go figure.

maybe. depends on how good GPS is at the moment. Usually doesn't matter, it's wide open.

If there's any reason to take control, I do. I'm monitoring the landing of course. It's just that 99% of the time there's no need.

Funny thing, I almost always manually arm and take off. Go figure.
My MA2 would be real close all the time but I usually landed it manually. Right now I do also, I bring it in real close, remove the goggles and land it . I fly off the top of my hot tub a lot and that's 94 inches by 94 inches and I had a heck of a time landing on it the other day with the MC.. the drone would not settle down, finally landed in the grass out in the yard.

Keep in mind that MA2 has Precision Landing, and I don't think the FPV does (haven't seen it mention in any of the documentation).

As such, the FPV will navigate with the current precision of GPS where it's landing, which can be quite good (3ft) or horribly bad (30ft) depending on current satellite geometry.

I always manually land when coming down on a highly restricted space, of course. I just generally don't fly from such launches, so it's not an issue, and I'd rather let the drome fly itself back and land if completely safe to do so.

Like I said, lazy. I've flown back and landed at the end of a battery so many times I'd rather just keep an eye on it while it does the work, and relax. Not skills that deteriorate and need constant practice to stay sharp.

I find the FPV RTH a little off, maybe by a few feet. Never had that problem with mavics

I normally fly close to home first, then initiate RTH so it aligns, once I see in the goggles that it is descending, I would pause and take off my goggles and takeover in normal to make fine adjustments.

I normally land on my 8ft by 5ft balcony surround by electrical and cable wires, so I have to be super careful.

So do you guys take off the goggles to land? I know with my MA2 I could point the camera straight down and land right where it was pointing, but with this guy I cannot do that and with the goggles on its hard to judge what it directly below the drone, landing pad or what ever..
So how do you guys land this thing? Or do you get close and RTH it?
I DO take off my goggles to land. I CAN land with my goggles on, but it's dicey business. I can never seem to judge the distance to the ground so I either land too hard or hover too long. I imagine more FPV landing experience would cure that.

D

Reactions: A.O.
I DO take off my goggles to land. I CAN land with my goggles on, but it's dicey business. I can never seem to judge the distance to the ground so I either land too hard or hover too long. I imagine more FPV landing experience would cure that.

D
Yeah, last weekend as well, when coming in with little battery to spare, flick it into Normal mode an try to land, but due to strong winds, the drone kept getting blown away when trying to orient myself and hover. So, take off the goggles and land VLOS. Much safer with my (lack of) skills.

Reactions: A.O.
Always land direct visual. IMO it's reckless to land with the goggles on, there's so much you can't see and be aware of (like a crazy dog, for example, that just showed up). As I said, most of the time I let RTH handle it all the way to disarming the motors, but I'm watching, and can take over at any moment if necessary.

Very very rarely do I have to, and with the camera drones that have Precision Landing capability, I don't think I've ever had to take control.

Reactions: JoostGT3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput