Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Looking for help selecting my first FPV drone

Hoyle

Reaction score
Hey all, brand new to the drone game, looking for some suggestions for a first FPV drone setup. I have been racing RC cars for about a year now and want to get up into the air!

I have a Spektrum DX6 radio and was curious if this can or even should be used for FPV drones? Not sure if Spektrum has a receiver small enough for these little drones though.

Under $300 for a starter setup, and anything else I may need would be a good start. Something to really see if FPV drones are for me.

My dad has a DJI Mavic Pro Platinum , but that's a little too slow for me. I'm looking to fly outside and around the neighborhood and surrounding fields to stretch my virtual legs.

FYI I can't really use an indoor drone to learn since I have three dogs that like to eat objects that make any sort of noise ?

Last edited:
Welcome @Hoyle!
Spektrum does have a few small receivers that can be used for quads, but being an Frsky user I really can't suggest which one is best or help with setting it up.
You might want to consider something like these to start, but keep in mind, YOU WILL CRASH learning how to fly, so be prepared to do repairs when needed. You will not find many, if any, Bind N Fly options out there for Spektrum protocol, so you will need to look for a PNP (Plug N Play) model and add your own receiver.

I think this is the new hot lick small rx out there, not sure if the Dx6 does DSMX or just DSM2 or whatever, wish I knew more about spektrum so I could advise more confidently.

I think this is the new hot lick small rx out there, not sure if the Dx6 does DSMX or just DSM2 or whatever, wish I knew more about spektrum so I could advise more confidently.

Well I’ve been having a sniff around the web and I’ve found a thread on another forum suggesting that the DX6 will bind to both DSM2 and DSMX receivers but having absolutely no experience in using Spektrum, I don’t want to stick my neck out... Maybe look out for a second hand QX7 and any one of the myriad of frsky receivers?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya