Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

My first DJI FPV drone crash...

jwahaus

Reaction score
I crashed my DJI FPV drone for the first time today. I was flying indoors in a small studio apartment (I know, crazy right) and everything was going well until my drone caught the breeze from my air purifier and humidifier and started drifting up and left towards a wall. I tried correcting but unfortunately for me the drone was facing me and I corrected in the opposite direction needed. I'm still learning how to fly and the automatic switch left to right when the drone is facing me hasn't completely registered yet.

So... one of the props clipped a door frame and the drone tumbled 5ft. upside down onto a tile floor. I was expecting a couple of broken props at the least and hoping for the best. As it turned out, nothing broke. The FPV is still fully functional and all four props are undamaged. The frame of the door I hit has a few scratches and orange paint but otherwise everything is good.

As a testament to DJI, their FPV drone seems to be pretty rugged. ?

Reactions: dirkclod
Not to mention that in a small space like a mistake like that one that rushes the craft towards you could be very painful, to you not the aircraft. I was "fixing" a phantom 3 a while back and cranked it up in my apartment, my sliding glass door was open and needless to say there was no GPS signal to be had, a gusty breeze caught it and threw it towards me not thinking and hit the throttle forward not realizing that it was pointing straight at me dropped left stick all the way down and P3 dropped to the ground but not before catching my ankle and just barely scratching it, well cutting but not deep at all. Had I been in major panic and not had a second reaction like I did it might have headed straight for my face. Indoors unless it is a warehouse or large garage, a large drone is not to be played with. That said I have hovered my EVO indoors in a large living room with me standing a fair distance away, but that puppy is steady as a rock no matter where, however no wind came into play so anything could have happened.

Not to mention that in a small space like a mistake like that one that rushes the craft towards you could be very painful, to you not the aircraft. I was "fixing" a phantom 3 a while back and cranked it up in my apartment, my sliding glass door was open and needless to say there was no GPS signal to be had, a gusty breeze caught it and threw it towards me not thinking and hit the throttle forward not realizing that it was pointing straight at me dropped left stick all the way down and P3 dropped to the ground but not before catching my ankle and just barely scratching it, well cutting but not deep at all. Had I been in major panic and not had a second reaction like I did it might have headed straight for my face. Indoors unless it is a warehouse or large garage, a large drone is not to be played with. That said I have hovered my EVO indoors in a large living room with me standing a fair distance away, but that puppy is steady as a rock no matter where, however no wind came into play so anything could have happened.
I have a healthy fear of the props and I know that flying in such a closed space is high risk but I was only planning to hover and move very slowly and it was raining outside. I didn't expect the air cleaner's air current to have such a significant effect but I expect there was no GPS signal as well and therefore the drone couldn't detect that it was drifting.

One thing I didn't consider (apart from the air current from my air cleaner) is that in a closed space the wind being generated from the drone's props has to go somewhere. It bounces off the ground and climbs the walls so even if I had remembered to turn off my air cleaner there are still significant air currents to contend with in a small closed space.

Anyway, lesson learned. I'm just glad my first crash left my drone intact.

Reactions: Noobnoobnoob
I have a healthy fear of the props and I know that flying in such a closed space is high risk but I was only planning to hover and move very slowly and it was raining outside. I didn't expect the air cleaner's air current to have such a significant effect but I expect there was no GPS signal as well and therefore the drone couldn't detect that it was drifting.

One thing I didn't consider (apart from the air current from my air cleaner) is that in a closed space the wind being generated from the drone's props has to go somewhere. It bounces off the ground and climbs the walls so even if I had remembered to turn off my air cleaner there are still significant air currents to contend with in a small closed space.

Anyway, lesson learned. I'm just glad my first crash left my drone intact.
You got that right, bounce bounce, though the fpv does have optical flow in the bottom so it should hold altitude and position some extent, but in a small space the wind blowing in every which direction adds up to oh oh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas