Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Need help ESC or FC or ?

Piccopower

Reaction score
Sorry for this being a long post.
I have a 6s Merica and it has a Hobbywing 60 amp ESC and a MatekF722 FC. Ok it’s less than 8 flights new..my last outing my goggles showed black screen then no OSD with pic. I was able to fly anyway. Next day I was testing the the goggles with another drone and it was fine. I wasn’t back to the merica and wasn’t able to get the 2nd set of ESC beeps going and of course no pic in the goggles. Hooked to beta flight and typed status and it showed nothing wrong. I did notice when the FC was plugged into the computer/beta flight the ESC went through full sequence but when not plugged up to the computer it’s just partial sequence... any Ideas what might have changed within the first few flights to this happening? All the solder joints look good, wiring looks nice and tight. No crashes either..
any input would be appreciated.

• Sad
Reactions: HighTechPauper
Sorry for this being a long post.
I have a 6s Merica and it has a Hobbywing 60 amp ESC and a MatekF722 FC. Ok it’s less than 8 flights new..my last outing my goggles showed black screen then no OSD with pic. I was able to fly anyway. Next day I was testing the the goggles with another drone and it was fine. I wasn’t back to the merica and wasn’t able to get the 2nd set of ESC beeps going and of course no pic in the goggles. Hooked to beta flight and typed status and it showed nothing wrong. I did notice when the FC was plugged into the computer/beta flight the ESC went through full sequence but when not plugged up to the computer it’s just partial sequence... any Ideas what might have changed within the first few flights to this happening? All the solder joints look good, wiring looks nice and tight. No crashes either..
any input would be appreciated.
Could be the voltage regulator on the board. Plug a battery in and check to see if you have 5V on any of the 5V pads. Your USB cable is powering up the board when you are plugged into the computer so you may have lost the boards regulated supply. Cheap and easy fix if so, you can buy an external regulated supply for about $10.

Could be the voltage regulator on the board. Plug a battery in and check to see if you have 5V on any of the 5V pads. Your USB cable is powering up the board when you are plugged into the computer so you may have lost the boards regulated supply. Cheap and easy fix if so, you can buy an external regulated supply for about $10.
Fantastic ?

In most setups, the battery leads are soldered to the ESC and the ESC then supplies power to the FC and then to the VTX through the FC. If you are getting the first set of beeps, this indicates that the ESCs are initializing and the second set of beeps indicated that the FC is connected and initialized. In your case, your goggles are black so your VTX isn't getting power and since your not getting the second set of beeps, your FC isn't likely getting power either. We you connect the USB, you are powering the FC and as long as the control data channels are ok to the FC, you will get the second set of beeps.

So, all this to say that your problem will be the power from the ESC to the FC. Check you soldering job for power and ground on both the ESC and FC. One of those connections is faulty.
If your connections look good, make sure your wires aren't broken in the shielding then lastly, you could have killed the regulator on the ESC so you would need an external regulator to power the FC from the battery voltage. if that is the case, I can do up a quick wiring diagram for you.

Reactions: Piccopower
What do you mean by the power channel is burned out? Are you referring to the 5V rail? the VCC and Cur coming in from the ESC feed power to the FC as well as the 5V and GND for the motor control outputs. have you verified that those connections are correct? It seems very odd to me that anything on the FC could have burned out because the 5V regulator on the ESC would need to fail for an over current situation to occur to fry the FC.

Last edited:
Something doesn't quite add up here as far as the root cause of the issue. Your FC only receives power on the 5V rail from the ESC and therefore unless an overcurrent situation occurred or there is a defect in the FC, the traces should be fine and deliver 5V to the rest of the board. In this situation, I would expect the regulator on the ESC to have failed or a bad wiring issue. There does not appear to be a voltage reg on this FC. So if the FC powers on normally with the USB but not off the battery voltage, it should mean a problem with the source voltage going to the FC not the FC itself. It's really starting to sound like a burned 5V regulator on the ESC. As Tevek pointed out, check for voltage on the output of the 5V on the ESC supplying power to the FC.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput