Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Newbie needs some advice

Brewzer

Reaction score
Hi guys im new to quad racing/freestyle and I could really use some help.

I have just purchased the following items:

Is this everything im going to need? I have a feeling that im going to need some other antennas but i have no clue what i will need for my parts. also do i need anything extra to connect my transmitter to my drone? I have just spent a lot of money and want to make sure i have all the things i need to avoid disappointment. any help or advice it greatly appreciated

Reactions: Wayno52
Firstly, as this kit is PNP, you'll have to install a receiver. As yo have a QX7 transmitter, I'd suggest the R-XSR. Also, I notice you've ordered 4S lipos but this is a 6S beast. Do you have a lipo charger?

Hey thanks for your reply. Yes I noticed it's a 6s quad, but I also learned that this can take 4s battery which might be easier to begin with, then After a month or so ill buy a 5s or 6s. The look charger is listed in my first post. It's just a cheap one.

Thanks for the transmitter advice. Sorry what I PNP? Can you provide a link to the R-XSR, when I searched for it lots of stuff came up

In terms of antenna for my goggles what would I need?

Okay just googled PNP....I thought it was going to have everything :( so I guess I'm going to have to buy a receiver and solder everything to it? That's a bummer

I’d look at getting an xt60 parallel charging board to go with that charger. That charger on your list is only good for 2-4S by the way.
Definitely need hand tools: sidecutters, cable ties, heat shrink tubing, torx head drivers (2 mm, 2.5mm, maybe a 3 mm), medium loctite (blue), liquid electrical tape, double sided tape.
As noted above, you’ve ordered 4S batteries and the quad is good for 6S. If this is your first racing quad, maybe not a bad idea but heh, you only live once...

Last edited:
Okay just googled PNP....I thought it was going to have everything :( so I guess I'm going to have to buy a receiver and solder everything to it? That's a bummer
Installing a receiver is easy, they come with instructions for connection or use Mr Google, forgot to add soldering iron and solder to my previous post. The stock antennas may be fine to start with, there are many linear and Omni patch antenna options out there once you’re set up and getting the hang of it.

That charger will not be useful for a 5s or 6s, suggest you get something that can charge 6s or you will be buying 2 chargers.

As for the batteries, I'd just skip the 4S and get some 6S lipos, you can always tone down the throttle until you get used to the quad. You can spend money on 4S but as soon as you try flying with 6S lipos, the 4S will just sit on a shelf gathering dust. And don't bother with ZOP, they're just awful batteries. Spend a little more on a name brand, you'll get better performance and longer life. I use RDQ Series exclusively, Tattu R-Series are also good.

Reactions: tevek and Wayno52
Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't forgo the 4s batteries right away. I had a rig running on 2208s @ 1500 KV (low even for 6s) and it was a really pleasant fly on 4s. They're also cheaper. I still fly my 5s and 6s rigs on 4s quite a lot because it's just more relaxing :) Oh and it makes a big difference if you're flying without a camera, then 4s is okay. Put a GoPro on there and you'll want that extra voltage

Lol, I'm with Tevek. Go straight for 6s and enjoy the ride.
You will not get too far into it where you will say to yourself, Dang I wish I went with 6s from the start.
Throttle it back and buy 6s packs and charger from the beginning.
Keep us posted.
Wayno

Reactions: tevek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax