Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

newbie trying to build their first fpv race drone

flyingace1916

Reaction score
I am a newbie to the fpv drone world, I have previous experience with drones(dji mavic's and stuff like that) but I wanted to get into fpv drone freestyle. I'm currently trying to pick out parts to build my own but I'm lost. A few questions I have are
1) Do you need 1 brushless esc for each motor as well as a power distributer board or is it one or the other?
2) Is there a difference between a 4in1 esc and a power distributer board, or are they the same?
3) Do all flight controllers need to be soldered and programmed or are there any that come with the soldering already done and the board programmed with options or software to change it?
4) Do all electronic components need to match power ratings such as having a 45amp flight controller, a 45amp esc, a 45amp motor, or can it be a 3-4s flight controller, 4s esc, and a 3-4s motor?
5) what do the different "kv" numbers mean? I'm guessing its some sort of rpm or speed rating but as I said, I'm a newbie so I could be completely wrong.
6) If possible could someone give me a list of different compatible parts or multiple of each that would work with one another?

Last edited:
-A power distribution board (pdb) just spreads out the wires basically, making it easier to solder the ESC's. The ESC's put power through different wires as the magnets on the bell align with different parts of the stator.

-A pdb spreads/splits out the wires and the 4 in 1 ESC is 4 ESCs in 1 board. 4 in 1s are smaller, lighter, more convenient, more expensive to replace, well worth it in my opinion.

-For a flight controller (fc) you will likely need to solder some wires on, if you really needed you could get around it assuming you don't need buzzers or LEDs. With regards to programming there is no need to stress about the , you just need to tell it what parts you are using it with. Tuning, adjusting, perfecting for your liking multiplies the complexity x100 but you should try it.

-Motors amp ratings is the max they can draw when flying, ESC amp ratings is how many amps a motor can pull before the ESC dies, smokes. You should have at least a 10% margin of extra capability on the ESCs side. It is a common misconception that ESC amp ratings is their output but it is the max power motor it can take.
The s in 3-4s or 6s stands for series which means battery cells in series. The more cells in series the higher the voltage, nominal cell voltage of LiPo batteries;
1s=3.7v
2s=7.4v
3s=11.1v
4s=14.8v
5s=18.5v
6s=22.2v
so on and so fourth, just adding 3.7, for max voltage do cell count x 4.2. The higher the cell rating of electronics the higher the voltage it can take. Flight controllers don't have an amp or cell rating. Amp and cell count doesn't need to match on the different parts.

-KV is rpm per volt and it is a property of motors. What if kv is ideal depends on battery, prop size, motor size and what you want, like power or flight time.

Last edited:
To give a list of good compatible parts you need to tell me what category of drone you want. Read this thread and feel free to ask whatever. Greetings from pdx Oregon
I’m looking for a beginner fpv freestyle drone that isn’t too lamed down for the beginner aspect. Also I would prefer if it would be able to be all under 300$ I already have a remote and headset chosen out so judging from what I’ve seen parts cost that should be doable? Thanks!

I’m looking for a beginner fpv freestyle drone that isn’t too lamed down for the beginner aspect. Also I would prefer if it would be able to be all under 300$ I already have a remote and headset chosen out so judging from what I’ve seen parts cost that should be doable? Thanks!
Also I’m looking for it to be a 5 inch frame

What goggles and radio do you have? Finding the best parts will take little while and I will ask for preferences.

Do you have a 2mm hex driver and a soldering iron. You can get a decent quad for 300$ when that is not including goggles and a radio. Edit: Is buying from a reputable store like RDQ or GetFpv worth it or would you rather get better parts but off Aliexpress for the same price.

Last edited:
Do you have a 2mm hex driver and a soldering iron. You can get a decent quad for 300$ when that is not including goggles and a radio. Edit: Is buying from a reputable store like RDQ or GetFpv worth it or would you rather get better parts but off Aliexpress for the same price.
As long as the parts are trusted, it can be from whatever, for a transmitter im going with a Radiolink T8FB and for goggles im going with
Fat Shark Recon V3 or Readytosky Mini FPV. I have both a 2mm hex as well as a soldering iron.

Great, I will recommend some parts in a few minutes. Edit: "A few minutes" was terribly over ambitious of me.

Last edited:
I haven't done a great job collecting my questions. Is the budget including the goggles and radio? Sorry I am making this take so long.

I haven't done a great job collecting my questions. Is the budget including the goggles and radio? Sorry I am making this take so long.
I guess because im not sure what systems the transmitter and vtx will be so make it include everything and the price range will be ~400-450

Great, I will recommend some parts in a few minutes. Edit: "A few minutes" was terribly over ambitious of me.
I have some parts on amazon picked out, Im not too sure if they are compatible with one another but lmk how they look to you. they all have good reviews and seem to be trusted.

Crazepony 4pcs DX2205 2300KV Brushless Motor 2CW 2CCW 2-4S Lipo for FPV Racing Drone Quadcopter QAV210 X220 QAV250 (Gold)Crazepony 4pcs DX2205 2300KV Brushless Motor 2CW 2CCW 2-4S

Ovonic 4S 1550mAh 100C 14.8V LiPo Battery Pack with XT60

BETAFPV VR01

iFlight FPV Drone Antennas 150mm SMA Male RHCP Antennas for Long Range FPV Quadcopter TX/RX (Pack of 2)iFlight FPV Drone Antennas 150mm SMA Male RHCP Antennas for Long Range

RunCam Phoenix 2 Micro FPV Camera 1000TVL

iFlight SucceX-Force 5.8G PIT/25mW/100mW/400mW/600mW Switchable VTX FPV Video Transmitter for FPV Racing Drone QuadcopteriFlight SucceX-Force 5.8G PIT/25mW/100mW/400mW/600mW Switchable VTX FPV Video Transmitter

iFlight SucceX-E F7 V1.0 45A BLHeli_S 2-6S Flight Stack (MPU6000) 30.5X 30.5mm Mounting for FPV Racing Drone QuadcopteriFlight SucceX-E F7 V1.0 45A BLHeli_S 2-6S Flight Stack (MPU6000)

Radiolink T8FB

TCMMRC FPV Racing Drone Kit AC-220

These are just what I would buy. I would like other people to give their opinion and suggest parts.

VTX and camera, sorry I don't know. Joshua Bardwell's guide on buying a VTX is useful.
Could someone recommend a camera and VTX for 5inch?

-Motors, Iflight Xing 2 2207 1855kv. Good motor and trusted motor manufacturer or RCINPOWER GTS v2 2207 1860kv, great thrust test results and Sync fpv says they're great motors.

-Fc and ESC, Hobbywing 20x20 40a ESC, F4 or F7 fc, loads or racers use it, a great little stack with Dshot 1200 and Blheli 32. You could also use the 30x30 but the smalller stack gives more space in the build. or an AIO (all in one).

-Frame, there are really so many frames with different advantages but some would be; ImpulseRC Apex, it would have to be a clone as the real thing is very expensive but many freestyle pilots fly it. The Iflight Titan is built like a tank, it would soak up the budget but the weight makes it fly worse and crash worse an option though. AlfaRC Monster v2, it is built more for racing and you will want to double check if your camera will fit. You might want taller standoffs but it is strong as I tested recently, light and would leave room in the budget. The GepRC mark 4 is an option and there are many Armattan clones.

-Charger, IMAX B6 clones are cheap and just about do the job, not amazing. ISDT Q6 nano is another option, it will need a power supply.

-Battery, CNHL Ministar 1300mah 120c 6s.

-Props, Gemfan Hurricane 51433.

-Gemfan 250mm battery straps.

I can send links but it would probably be to the wrong place. GetFPV and Aliexpress is where you could get the parts. I can give some similar options if this is over stretching the

Last edited:
I have some parts on amazon picked out, Im not too sure if they are compatible with one another but lmk how they look to you. they all have good reviews and seem to be trusted.

Crazepony 4pcs DX2205 2300KV Brushless Motor 2CW 2CCW 2-4S Lipo for FPV Racing Drone Quadcopter QAV210 X220 QAV250 (Gold)Crazepony 4pcs DX2205 2300KV Brushless Motor 2CW 2CCW 2-4S

Ovonic 4S 1550mAh 100C 14.8V LiPo Battery Pack with XT60

BETAFPV VR01

iFlight FPV Drone Antennas 150mm SMA Male RHCP Antennas for Long Range FPV Quadcopter TX/RX (Pack of 2)iFlight FPV Drone Antennas 150mm SMA Male RHCP Antennas for Long Range

RunCam Phoenix 2 Micro FPV Camera 1000TVL

iFlight SucceX-Force 5.8G PIT/25mW/100mW/400mW/600mW Switchable VTX FPV Video Transmitter for FPV Racing Drone QuadcopteriFlight SucceX-Force 5.8G PIT/25mW/100mW/400mW/600mW Switchable VTX FPV Video Transmitter

iFlight SucceX-E F7 V1.0 45A BLHeli_S 2-6S Flight Stack (MPU6000) 30.5X 30.5mm Mounting for FPV Racing Drone QuadcopteriFlight SucceX-E F7 V1.0 45A BLHeli_S 2-6S Flight Stack (MPU6000)

Radiolink T8FB

TCMMRC FPV Racing Drone Kit AC-220
Motors for 5 inch. That 4 digit number is the motors size, 1104 means the stator is 11mm wide and 4mm tall. 2204 is pretty small, 2206 still not ideal, 2207 racing standard more power, 2306 freestyle standard more low end torque, you can use racing motors for freestyle and freestyle for racing no problem. 2208 handles props better and Nurk FPV uses 2507 for 5 inch. The ones I selected are 2207 1855kv and 2207 1860kv and can run on 6s.

I would use CNHL Ministar batteries as they are proven to be as good as batteries twice the price and why not go 6s.

That is a decent fc and ESC but I would go with the Hobbywing 20x20 (2/3 the size) stack. It can power any of the motors mentioned on this thread and has all the things like; Dshot1200, Blheli32, Betaflight, 6s 40amp.

For the frame I would go with something a little more beginner friendly like the AlfaRC Monster v2. Stretched x (front and back further than left and right) whichever means it is more efficient in forward flight and the longer body is easier to work in. The shape of the arm protects the motors and surprisingly mine hasn't broken yet.

Yes, what you have there will work.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas