Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

No Barf Here!!

Barbara

Reaction score
I'm so happy!

This is my first venture into FPV, or any sort of VR really, and I was a bit concerned about motion sickness I must admit. As I have aged (don't ask) I have found that I am more and more prone to motion sickness. However, after a my first few flights I find it doesn't appear to be a serious issue.

A few things I've determined though. First, I have to be sure to be seated. Second, move my head as little as possible once the goggles are on. (Haven't tried head tracking yet) I've noticed a bit of dizziness on occasion, but other than that, so far so good.

Well Barbara, I'm betting I've got a few years on you. ;-)

I just had my first Avata flight. I have to fly seated because of a bad back. I noticed on my first flight I had to work on keeping my head still so there will be a few things to get used to.

Welcome to this world 😀 Im not in but bet you have a blast 👍👍

Welcome to this world 😀 Im not in but bet you have a blast 👍👍
The Avata is definitely a lot of fun to fly. An entirely different experience to flying my M2Z. I can see where this will be more about the joy of flying vs getting great videos. Not to say I won't use it for video footage, once I get more experience flying.

Well I loved the FPV I got but useing Googles just didn’t work out
for me. Sure couldn’t stand and even sitting when I would make a sharp bank I would lean with it. Got tired of falling out or off whatever I was sitting on 😀 Guess it was something to do with my equilibrium. And at my age now I don’t bounce no more. More like a wet biscuit hitting the floor 🙄 So I just gifted it to a freind in one of the other forums. Sucks getting old 🤷‍♂️

The first time I flew it, I was standing and managed to survive but I sit now. I tried head tracking for about a minute and stopped. Not because of sickness but too many things for me to keep track of right now. I think with more practice it will work out. And definitely if I'm going to be up high just touring the country, head tracking would be nice.

Right now, I love flying in and through the trees. I had my first mishap. Turtle mode worked. I didn't even have to get up out of my lawn chair.

I'm so happy!

This is my first venture into FPV, or any sort of VR really, and I was a bit concerned about motion sickness I must admit. As I have aged (don't ask) I have found that I am more and more prone to motion sickness. However, after a my first few flights I find it doesn't appear to be a serious issue.

A few things I've determined though. First, I have to be sure to be seated. Second, move my head as little as possible once the goggles are on. (Haven't tried head tracking yet) I've noticed a bit of dizziness on occasion, but other than that, so far so good.
I found that the simulator made me very sick and I was worried I’d spent a bunch of money on something I wouldn’t be able to use. But when I put the drone up and went for it, it was so much fun. I started with the DJI FPV and the Avata is a different animal and tons of fun to fly!

I'm so happy!

Same here, for both age and motion sickness. In fact, after my first fpv flight, I had a massive headache that lasted all day. It seems that I have now weened myself and if I stay focused, I can fly without a headache, so that's good. Yes, staying seated helps.
You also sort of have to just "let yourself go"...I think the headache is in part a result of the disconnect between where your brain says you are (sitting in a chair) and where your eyes say you are (120 ft in the air looking down). The more you can let go of the former, the more you can enjoy the latter....

Reactions: Barbara
What really sold me on the Avata was the motion controller. To me this is a much more natural control mechanism for flying. Also, as I have Essential Tremor, which affects fine motor control, using a regular remote controller would be next to impossible. Flying my Mavic smoothly can be a problem on a bad day. With the motion controller flying the Avata is easy. The throttle can be a bit dicey still, but using two fingers helps on the trigger and seems to smooth things out.

Last edited:
I had started modding an MC (that I had bought back then along with the FPV) to remove the spring on the trigger and put some friction pads instead so it holds its position, IMO it's way too strong and unbearable to hold for minutes... "just" have to design and 3D print a part to pull it back out like an RC car trigger but never got around to it since it'd be just out of curiosity at best.

IMG_20220917_163102.jpg

I'm so happy!

I follow both of those procedures when I fly my FPV. Always sitting down, few head movements after take-off. I have noticed that I tend to position my head either looking down, or in the position it would be in if I was sitting on the drone, looking at what the drone is looking at.

What really sold me on the Avata was the motion controller. To me this is a much more natural control mechanism for flying. Also, as I have Essential Tremor, which affects fine motor control, using a regular remote controller would be next to impossible. Flying my Mavic smoothly can be a problem on a bad day. With the motion controller flying the Avata is easy. The throttle can be a bit dicey still, but using two fingers helps on the trigger seems to smooth things out.
100% agree. When I got the MC, the FPV was a whole new flying experience. One of my favorite videos to share, flown with MC:

I love flying Manual, but for this old man it's exhausting. I'm good for 1 battery of thrills in Manual, then I pull out the MC and relax with all the guardrails, nannies, and tech saving me from myself, and just scream around like I'm in a F18.

OTOH, can't remember the last time I flew sticks in N/S on the FPV.

Financial surprises this month had me cancel my Avata order. Gonna be October 🙁

I had started modding an MC (that I had bought back then along with the FPV) to remove the spring on the trigger and put some friction pads instead so it holds its position, IMO it's way too strong and unbearable to hold for minutes... "just" have to design and 3D print a part to pull it back out like an RC car trigger but never got around to it since it'd be just out of curiosity at best.

View attachment 5980
Now you got the engineer in me thinking. Seems to me we need a ring trigger so we can push/pull the trigger, remove the spring, add mild friction.

I'm gonna take a shot at this too.

Your relative youth and energy may beat me to it 😁

Now you got the engineer in me thinking. Seems to me we need a ring trigger so we can push/pull the trigger, remove the spring, add mild friction.

I'm gonna take a shot at this too.

Your relative youth and energy may beat me to it 😁
Interesting ideas, be curious to hear how it turns out.

In the YouTubes I watched by what I assume are experienced FPV pilots, they generally poopooed the MC. To me, it is way more intuitive. I've been doing RC plans, cars, etc since youth. I never did a lot of RC stuff but enough to be comfortable.

On my Mav 3 I changed the sticks so rotate and forward / back is on one stick so it is like guiding the drone with one stick. The other stick is up/down and shift left/right. Shift left/right I rarely think of doing except when doing an orbit type maneuver. Yea, I suppose I couldn't do such things with the MC but the Avata isn't for super serious photos and videos. Its for super serious FUN! 🤣😜😂

There, a little rough but should be enough to give an idea...

IMG_20220919_212543.jpg

IMG_20220919_212522.jpg

Attachments

• trigger.zip
    43 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: rktman and Barbara
Lol, it's a trip for sure. I flew outside yesterday for the first time and my stomach was a little uneasy but that wore off pretty quickly. I was grinning ear to ear after that, it's so addicting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas