Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Not very new but first post

Jeff A

Reaction score
Hello all. I come here from the Mavic forum and have the same screen name both places. I have so many questions that don't know where to begin. Let me tell you of my goals and of my background:
  • I purchased my 1st drone nearly two years ago, a Mavic 2 Zoom. After about a year I upgraded to a Mavic 2 Pro for the better camera. I still fly my Mavic 2 Pro.
  • Because drones have re-kindled my interest in photography, I have been anxiously waiting for the release of the Mavic 3. The announcement of the Mavic 3 price has totally cooled off my desires for the M3.
  • I have been fascinated with the DJI FPV drone from the beginning because I am an experienced pilot but can no longer fly due to medical & financial reasons. I am a retired Corporate Pilot with 18,000 + hours of flight time.
  • I'm now considering the FPV drone, not for extreme aerobatics but for the sensation of flying and of course, photography.
So let me begin with my basic questions if you are still with me at this point:
  1. With the basic controller, can I attach my iPad Mini as a viewing device?
  2. With the standard or optional; "Stick Controller" is the a still photo button?
  3. In the opinion of those who own or have flown with the Motion Controller, how much does that contribute to the realism of the flying experience?
  4. What equipment would I need to use Simulator software?
Thanks if you have stuck with me to this point. I look forward to hearing from you.

Welcome to the forum 👍

Reactions: FPV Flier
Welcome to the addiction known as FPV. I also have the same screen name, but haven't been there in a loong time.

I don't have the DJI FPV Drone but did get the Mavic 2 Pro when it first came out. First let me say that flying a "FPV" style quad is different from your typical DJI quad.
With most all DJI quads, you can let go of the controls, and it will stop and hover awaiting your next command.
A FPV quad is more like the the aircraft you have flown (minus autopilot) where you have to remain in control of the craft or it is going down...
FPV style quads are not designed to stop, hover, and take a picture. They are used primarily to capture "video" and of course, just plain fun to fly (no video recording).
The DJI FPV quad is a bit of a hybrid compared to a standard FPV quad.
Hopefully, someone who owns and flies one will chime in here but I don't know that it is able to take stills.

Also, probably 99.9 percent of the time, FPV is done wearing goggles. I have only seen one instance where it was flown using a monitor. That is part of the FPV experience is seeing nothing but what the quad sees.

The DJI controller can be used with the DJI sim, but I do not know if you can fly other sims with their controller.

Welcome again, and hopefully someone with actual DJI FPV drone experience can fill in the blanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm now considering the FPV drone, not for extreme aerobatics but for the sensation of flying
It's the best thing there is for that, you'll love it.

and of course, photography
Not for that though, it's really made for the former. It can technically take stills but they're basically frame grabs from the video, nothing more. And they'll be crooked all the time since there's no gimbal roll stabilization.

If you want both you'll need both, keep your M2P.

With the basic controller, can I attach my iPad Mini as a viewing device?
Mobile device connects to the goggles, but yes you can use one. It shows the image and nothing else, no data or anything, all of that is in the goggles only.

What equipment would I need to use Simulator software?
You can use the DJI simulator for iOS with your iPad and that will run with the goggles and controller. Controller can be used with PC-based simulators too.

In the opinion of those who own or have flown with the Motion Controller, how much does that contribute to the realism of the flying experience?
It can't be used in manual mode which is where it's at to really feel like flying especially if you have full scale experience, so IMO not at all.

The videos from the fpv are fun. Not a real fan on the motion controller.
Can‘t seem to sell the one I have.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you for your replies.

Welcome to the FPV forum :

Considering all the people such as myself that get sick flying the drone < I think you will find it very comforting as it can be a plane and a rocket. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV in the Rain.

Well, after introducing myself nearly a year ago, then dissapearing (I never bought the FPV), here I am again. Now I can say that on Friday, 9/9/22, I will have a new DJI Avata. It will be a slow launch because for now, I have only one battery. As you may remember, I'm on the Mavic Pilots Forum as well. I still have a Mavic 2 Pro.

Last edited:
Welcome back! Mine should arrive on the 21st. Batteries, Fly More Kit and some spare props will arrive on Monday. 🙄

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya