Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Only 65 mph max in manual.

Made2Phly

Reaction score
65 mph on essentially windless day is the fastest I’m getting in manual. It should be more like 90 +. I get about 60 mph in sport.
Thoughts, comments?

I was watching a Joshua Bardwell review last night and one thing I learnt is that you can’t just switch the M mode on the controller and have the M mode engage. DJi doesn’t want you engaging M by accident (and flipping the switch in the controller only operates it in Sport-lite Mode). To truly get to M, you have to flip a few switches from the Goggles interface. That’s when you unlock those 80+ speeds. There are two setting which you need to switch to “Manual Mode” in the Goggles, along with the switch on the RC, to truly engage Manual mode.

I was watching a Joshua Bardwell review last night and one thing I learnt is that you can’t just switch the M mode on the controller and have the M mode engage. DJi doesn’t want you engaging M by accident (and flipping the switch in the controller only operates it in Sport-lite Mode). To truly get to M, you have to flip a few switches from the Goggles interface. That’s when you unlock those 80+ speeds. There are two setting which you need to switch to “Manual Mode” in the Goggles, along with the switch on the RC, to truly engage Manual mode.
Yep. I have done both, and the quad definitely is flying in manual.

Is this consistent behavior from different flight events? I have had incidents like this on my MA2, twice. The drone would fly in “C mode” speeds despite being switched to Sport. Nothing would sort it except for resetting it.

Seems you're confusing units. 60mph or 95km/h is about the "natural" speed for it, you can definitely push it faster but you're only going to get 90mph (145 km/h) with a good tailwind.

Seems you're confusing units. 60mph or 95km/h is about the "natural" speed for it, you can definitely push it faster but you're only going to get 90mph (145 km/h) with a good tailwind.
The users manual says that top speed in manual mode is 39 meters per second, which translates to 87.24 mph. That specification also indicates “no wind.“ I was mistaken thinking that the top speed was 90 mph plus, but I wasn’t too far off.

Sport mode, per the manual, max speed is 27 m/s, which translates to 60.4 mph. So I don’t think I’m confused, I’m just not getting the top speed I am supposed to get in manual, not even close.

Reactions: A.O.
Is this consistent behavior from different flight events? I have had incidents like this on my MA2, twice. The drone would fly in “C mode” speeds despite being switched to Sport. Nothing would sort it except for resetting it.
I have not tried resetting etc. In fact, I think I only made the attempt once. I will do that. Shut off everything, reset, reboot, restart, etc.

Reactions: Sayenah
I have not tried resetting etc. In fact, I think I only made the attempt once. I will do that. Shut off everything, reset, reboot, restart, etc.
yup. And please do report back. This seems like a software issue.

Reactions: Made2Phly
The users manual says that top speed in manual mode is 39 meters per second, which translates to 87.24 mph.
It will do that but literally full tilt forward and throttle almost maxed out in usual "up to" DJI spec fashion, not in "normal flying".

The sweet spot for this thing in manual is 90-110km/h, beyond that power requirements become a bit unreasonable.

Last edited:
It will do that but literally full tilt forward and throttle almost maxed out in usual "up to" DJI spec fashion, not in "normal flying".

The sweet spot for this thing in manual is 90-110km/h, beyond that power requirements become a bit unreasonabl
65 mph on essentially windless day is the fastest I’m getting in manual. It should be more like 90 +. I get about 60 mph in sport.
Thoughts, comments?
Just got back from the field. 82 mph in manual Mode. I can live with that.

Don't know if they have the same issue in mph, but at least in km/h there's a bug where the goggles won't display speeds above 159km/h as well...

you'll 'naturally' go faster in M mode if you set the camera angle higher... because you'll be pitching forward more to see the horizon.

I think at around 20 deg, I get a kind of natural speed of ~ 20 m/s (80 kmh) ,though you can push it by staring at the ground ;)
If you want max speed, I guess around 45 deg?

however, honestly...the sense of speed is not really from out n' out speed....
going straight, at 140kmh at altitude can feel pretty slow.
whereas, going low to the ground at 40kmh and turning, can feel terrifyingly fast!

you'll 'naturally' go faster in M mode if you set the camera angle higher... because you'll be pitching forward more to see the horizon.

I think at around 20 deg, I get a kind of natural speed of ~ 20 m/s (80 kmh) ,though you can push it by staring at the ground ;)
If you want max speed, I guess around 45 deg?

however, honestly...the sense of speed is not really from out n' out speed....
going straight, at 140kmh at altitude can feel pretty slow.
whereas, going low to the ground at 40kmh and turning, can feel terrifyingly fast!
I'm not clear on how gimbal position would affect speed. Doesn't the angle (pitch) of the quad remain the same at a given stick position, regardless of where the gimbal is tilted, or does gimbal position affect the aerodynamics?

And I agree, slower close to the deck is a lot more exhilarating than faster at elevation !

no in M mode, the gimbal stays at a fixed position that you set (unlike N/S mode where it tilts as you move forward)

the drones pitch dictates how fast it goes (more thrust in direction of travel vs lift)
so if the more you pitch the gimbal up, the more you will pitch the drone to get the horizon to the same angle... and so you go faster.

example:
imagine you have the gimbal at 0 deg, you wont have to pitch the drone much, before all you can see is the ground... and not where your doing :)
at the other end of the scale, at +45 deg, when your level, all you will see is sky, so you'll have to pitch the drone by 45 deg , to see the horizon.

so its not that the gimbal angle affects speed, rather its how much you can pitch the drone - and still see where your going.

so... if you want to do slow flights, you can use small gimbal angles.... faster flights use higher gimbal angles.
obviously this is also important for filming, as you film what your looking at ;)

the cool thing about the dji fpv (unlike most fpv quads) , is you can change the gimbal angle mid flight!

@thetechnobear if I'm understanding correctly, what you're referring to is a practical effect in terms of flying (i.e. you fly forward by visually leveling the horizon more or less) rather than an actual functional effect -- i.e. the FC monitoring the camera angle and changing flight characteristics as a result.

The latter isn't possible with most FPV quads as the camera angle is a simple mechanical adjustment with no position sensor. With the DJI FPV the angle is controlled by a motorized gimbal with position feedback, so it's possible camera angle could affect flight performance, but I seriously doubt it.

yes, Im referring to how the pilot is likely to pitch more... because we all like to see where we are going , rather than pointing our noses at the ground at hoping :)

for sure, I think, you could fly with 0 deg tilt, and pitch far forward... and fly at 140kmh.... but it would probably be pretty unnerving experience, as you stare at the ground :)

yes, Im referring to how the pilot is likely to pitch more... because we all like to see where we are going , rather than pointing our noses at the ground at hoping :)

for sure, I think, you could fly with 0 deg tilt, and pitch far forward... and fly at 140kmh.... but it would probably be pretty unnerving experience, as you stare at the ground :)
The thing I think is impossible under those circumstances is flying level... the drone itself doesn't maintain altitude in full manual, and you have no useful reference (other than judging if the ground is getting closer or not -- good luck judging that with a "fine tuned" sense!!).

I'm noobie noobiest noob to FPV flying, but it's obvious that seeing the horizon is critical.

Reactions: thetechnobear
That's what's very cool about having an in-flight adjustable tilt :)

The thing I think is impossible under those circumstances is flying level... the drone itself doesn't maintain altitude in full manual, and you have no useful reference (other than judging if the ground is getting closer or not -- good luck judging that with a "fine tuned" sense!!).

I'm noobie noobiest noob to FPV flying, but it's obvious that seeing the horizon is critical.

yeah, Ive noticed that many fpv drones have an artificial horizon... I think this is a must have for a future firmware update. sure, there is the VSI , but its too small to keep an eye on when flying, and it needs to be more in the centre... looking down to left is pretty distracting.

also, sure the horizon is fine if you flying in parks/fields... but I live and fly in the mountains, so there is no level horizon anywhere :)

the other time I realised i needed some kind of pitch indication is when you want to slow down to a hover.
you obviously then need to pitch back to loose speed, and then end up nicely level to hover.
that would be much easier (esp to learn) with a attitude display.

@Kilrah , yeah the in-flight tilt is an amazing feature - I can imagine this is a feature other fpv drones might inherit one day.

are you in limited tilt manual or full manual? with the limits set up it will still fly manual but to fly it that fast the drone nearly needs to be full tilt forward which the limits will not allow.. can you do rolls in it? If it will do a fast flip or roll (not a power loop) then the limits are disabled.

Reactions: alex_markov

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fducloux