Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Question on DJI Charging Hub for Avata

Jeff A

Reaction score
Can someone explain what kind of charger I need if I get the Avata Charging Hub? I'm sure Hanatora is going to have something better as soon as I get the DJI unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Red
You can use it both with the stock charger and the hub. If you have 2 you can use both and charge 2 batteries at the same time...

Reactions: okw and DadCorso80
Anker is good and I can have it ovdernight for less than half of the DJI Charger. So its USB-C to the DJI which is USB-C as well, am I correct? You use this with the Avata charging hub, is that correct?
Yep, USB-C to USB-C.

Yep, USB-C to USB-C.
Thank you very much for the information. I almost ordered the DJI charger for $79.00 but ordered the Anker charger pretty late last night for $35.00. Less than half the money and the amazing thing was that Amazon had the charger on my porch at 6:30 am this morning! My hub without batteries will be here Monday and my second battery will be delivered next week as well. Thank you again, Sir!

Reactions: DadCorso80
Can you charge the battery while installed in the Avata?

Using a USB C PD made a huge difference. The Runpower unit I bought is rated for a total of 65W. Took charging time for one battery down to just over 60 minutes. I measured the power while charging and it was running at about 43W. Huge improvement from what I had.

Reactions: DadCorso80
You can use it both with the stock charger and the hub. If you have 2 you can use both and charge 2 batteries at the same time...
Could yhou explain that statement just a wee bit more. Newbie here

Could yhou explain that statement just a wee bit more. Newbie here
I believe they are saying that if you have 2 power supplies, like the Anker, and have the charging hub, you can plug in both the hub and the basic charger that comes with the Avata to charge two batteries simultaneously. I believe the hub charges the batteries consecutively, so only one at a time. Still waiting for my hub and extra batteries to arrive.

Reactions: pedz and Kilrah
Just a follow-up but using the DJI Hub it takes less than an hour (I timed 2 @ 40 mins each) with my 65W Anker charger. Just be aware that even though the Hub has 4 slots, batteries charge one at a time. I now have 4 batteries for the Avata. I have never used more than 2 in a session with the Mavic Pro but could possibly with this critter because the run time is less.
NOTE: I just changed the number above for the charge time from 50 Mins each to 40 Mins. Apparently I am Math challenged and 1/2 of an hour and 20 minutes was to difficult for me to resolve on the 1st attempt!

Last edited:
Just a follow-up but using the DJI Hub it takes less than an hour (I timed 2 @ 40 mins each) with my 65W Anker charger. Just be aware that even though the Hub has 4 slots, batteries charge one at a time. I now have 4 batteries for the Avata. I have never used more than 2 in a session with the Mavic Pro but could possibly with this critter because the run time is less.
NOTE: I just changed the number above for the charge time from 50 Mins each to 40 Mins. Apparently I am Math challenged and 1/2 of an hour and 20 minutes was to difficult for me to resolve on the 1st attempt!
Similar results for me using the DJI hub and a 65W USB charger with a USB C PD port. Measured the power consumption at around 67 W at the AC plug and charging time of about 40 minutes or so. Using the included DJI single battery charger, the power consumption was only about 45 W with the same USB charger.

This is speculation, but educated (I'm an EE by training) and experience (8 years flying many models of DJI drones).

I doubt the PD functionality is implemented in the Intelligent Battery. Rather, I suspect it's implemented in the charging cradle, 1x or the 4x multi-charger, and the 1x that comes with the Avata can't handle more than 45 watts, so negotiates a lower power request via the PD protocol.

That cradle is (likely) a much more sophisticated device than we're used to.

Good!

This is speculation, but educated (I'm an EE by training) and experience (8 years flying many models of DJI drones).

I doubt the PD functionality is implemented in the Intelligent Battery. Rather, I suspect it's implemented in the charging cradle, 1x or the 4x multi-charger, and the 1x that comes with the Avata can't handle more than 45 watts, so negotiates a lower power request via the PD protocol.

That cradle is (likely) a much more sophisticated device than we're used to.

Good!
Ya, I would say you are correct. I just double checked the numbers. Takes about 0.5W total to run my power supply and either of the cradles. With the single battery cradle I got 49.0W total and the four battery cradle came in at 65.5W total.

Interesting side note, the Specs for my USB Charger say I should only get 60W from my PD Port. The unit is rated at 75W total as it also has one QC port and two regular USB ports. I checked the temperature on the case with an IR gun the first few times and it never got anywhere near what I would describe as hot. (Don't recall the actual numbers, maybe mid to high 30's, Deg. C) The board is running much hotter I'm sure, so it might affect the longevity of the power supply. But wow, does it juice up the battery in a hurry.

Reactions: rktman
If we use the hub with a lower watt charger apart from taking longer will it be able to cope? Say a 20watt will it work?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya