Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

RC Motion 2 Questions

afreakofnature

Reaction score
Do you have to update the firmware on the drone to use the motion controller 2? I have not updated so that I do not have to have remote ID, hence not having my phone hooked up to my goggles, but I definitely would like to use this new motion controller. Curious what others may have found out.

Does the new motion controller still have to use the USB-A to USB-C cable or can we actually just use the USB-C to USB-C cable and charger instead of having to have two cables and chargers?

Far as I know you will have to update the drone and the goggles to use the MC2, however activating Remote ID may depend on your location.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
You're gonna have to give in eventually, unless you want to violate the law. Might as well do it now, and be able to use and enjoy new features and technology.

That's the painful decision I made last fall, when the Avata was getting some nice camera features in an update.

Do you have to update the firmware on the drone to use the motion controller 2? I have not updated so that I do not have to have remote ID, hence not having my phone hooked up to my goggles, but I definitely would like to use this new motion controller. Curious what others may have found out.

Does the new motion controller still have to use the USB-A to USB-C cable or can we actually just use the USB-C to USB-C cable and charger instead of having to have two cables and chargers?
I received my Motion 2 but haven’t flown with it yet. However, Great News, it charges with a usb-c to usb-c cable.

Everything needs to be turned on, soooo, my guess is that it will update the aircraft too. I really don't know as my Avata was already updated. Great updates on the MC2. I'm not sure I'd have bitten unless I had the $90 OFF from DJI.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Everything needs to be turned on, soooo, my guess is that it will update the aircraft too. I really don't know as my Avata was already updated. Great updates on the MC2. I'm not sure I'd have bitten unless I had the $90 OFF from DJI.

I can turn it on now without an update. As long as you don’t hook it up to your phone or start using DJI Fly so I’m kind of hoping that all you have to do is bind and fly with the remote.
How did you get the $90 off coupon?

I can turn it on now without an update. As long as you don’t hook it up to your phone or start using DJI Fly so I’m kind of hoping that all you have to do is bind and fly with the remote.
How did you get the $90 off coupon?
DJI Fly 1.0.1 is built into the goggles so I'm not sure what you mean.

To share the image with a spectator?

I've done this a few times.

I did not know that. I thought it was an app on your phone. Either way, whatever version i am running does not require thatI have to hook up the phone to the goggles. It was the last update before RID was implemented.
I am curious if the remote will bind and work out of the box without having to update. Thanks!

I was able to bind mine to the old avata and google firmware, but had to update to the latest as it was very glitchy and the camera would tilt up and down the whole time. Updated everything to the latest firmware and it works great. And no remote ID in Canada, at least my area (northern Alberta) I love the new controller. Worth it for me.

Reactions: afreakofnature
The M2 can charge with the usbc cable, but the manual, below, states it can be damaged if using more than a 5V Power Supply.

• Make sure that the default output voltage of the charger is 5 V. Excessive voltage
• will damage the device.
That's the same warning as the original MC, which incidentally, has a USB C port. I don't know if the MC has the smarts to negotiate with a USB QC or PP port and even if it did you won't gain much over a plain jane USB port.

The M2 can charge with the usbc cable, but the manual, below, states it can be damaged if using more than a 5V Power Supply.

• Make sure that the default output voltage of the charger is 5 V. Excessive voltage
• will damage the device.
Really, this is not a concern. No USB PD charger will ever feed more than 5V to the device. It has to do with how the Power Delivery standard works, which is beyond the scope of discussion here.

Put simply, to get more than 5V the sink (the MC2) has to ask for it. And the protocol is active digital – i.e. actual data is exchanged between the supply and sink to negotiate a supply voltage and maximum current. A simple, non-PD capable device, like the MC2 will be "deaf and mute" to the supply, so according to the PD standard it will be given 5V.

The advice above is impractical because PD chargers, which soon will be every charger, don't specify a "default" voltage. Rather, The voltages the charger supports are simply listed.

To feed more than 5V to the MC2 you would have to have a non-PD charger capable of more than 5V with a USB-C cable on it. No one makes and sells such a useless, dangerous beast. You'd have to construct it yourself.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
Really, this is not a concern. No USB PD charger will ever feed more than 5V to the device. It has to do with how the Power Delivery standard works, which is beyond the scope of discussion here.

Put simply, to get more than 5V the sink (the MC2) has to ask for it. And the protocol is active digital – i.e. actual data is exchanged between the supply and sink to negotiate a supply voltage and maximum current. A simple, non-PD capable device, like the MC2 will be "deaf and mute" to the supply, so according to the PD standard it will be given 5V.

The advice above is impractical because PD chargers, which soon will be every charger, don't specify a "default" voltage. Rather, The voltages the charger supports are simply listed.

To feed more than 5V to the MC2 you would have to have a non-PD charger capable of more than 5V with a USB-C cable on it. No one makes and sells such a useless, dangerous beast. You'd have to construct it yourself.
I'm sure you're correct, and I myself would assume that as the MCs use USB C ports that the smarts are built in. I just like to err on the safe side personally. Besides, using the USB A ports on my power supply leaves the PD port free for the flight batteries and the QC port for the Goggle's batteries.

The MC1 has no PD trigger circuitry so if you use a C to C supply it simply won't charge.
Not necessarily. The USB-C spec allows for this. Here's a pretty good explanation from this article:

"The primary method is the value of pull-up on HOST side on CC pins. Type-C specifications define three levels of capability: 500/900 mA (56k pull-up to 5V), 1.5 A (22k pull-up), and 3A (10k pull-up). The connecting device pulls down this with 5.1k to ground, and the resulting voltage level tells the device how much current it can take over the particular connection. When the host sees the pull-down, it will turn on "+5Vsafe" VBUS. This is per Type-C protocol. So the Sony device is perfectly compliant to the basic +5V safe supply."​

Some more modern devices inexplicably fail to include this simple 5.1k resistor even after the spec was well finalized. The MC seems to be one of them. Non USB-C compliant devices with USB-C connectors cause a lot of confusion, and never should have gotten through testing. The mechanical superiority over micro-USB was just too tempting a solution to a different set of problems. And yet, one resistor...

So, bottom lining this, there is absolutely no risk of a non-PD device being fed overvoltage from a PD charger (or a QC charger either). The only risk is that it won't charge at all, because they put an ultra cool that's-the-future type C connector on the device, and then didn't follow the USB-C spec.

Instead they give you an A–>C cable and fake it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJAluzion