Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Running 3" props on a 5" quad

mrmund

Reaction score
So my daughter is 11. She started flying with my Emax Tinyhawk 2 and moved up to the Tinyhawk Freestyle 2. It took me a month of flying everyday to get where she is after about 10 days flying here and there. She really wanted to fly one of "the big ones" so I thought I would have her try my Green Hornet next but when I flew it today I realized that it was harder to control than my 5"s. I have an Iflight Nazgul which flies really smooth and I decided to put some of the Hornet's 3" props on it to try to take some of the power and speed out of it so it would be more manageable. I flew a pack to try it out. The flight time was a little bit shorter but not bad and I checked the motors after and they were cool to the touch- all good.
She was super excited to try it, after applying too much forward pitch on her first takeoff and flipping it over once she was good to go. She flew three packs, one in stab mode and then right into acro. She was cruising around skimming the trees then started with the flips and rolls, wow she's fearless.
My question is what is happening to the qwad? Are the motors running over speed? Should I be concerned about anything like pulling too many amps or blowing an ESC or something. I really have no idea if we were doing something bad to the gear or if it's totally ok.
I only started flying FPV the end of September. I'm flying all the time and learning as much as I can but there's still so much I just don't know.
Anybody know I putting 3" props on a 5" is a bad idea?
Is there a better way to slow down a qwad to make it more flyable for her?
I appreciate any good advice you guys might have

Attachments

• KIMG1594.JPG
    KIMG1594.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: HighTechPauper
You could try reducing the throttle limit (and the other three as well) by a simple adjustment in your Tx, assuming you have an open tx unit like a Taranis or radiomaster or similar.
I have used smaller props in the past on a couple of my quads due to running out of stock. Results varied but generally the bigger quads are more sturdy and will hold up better. I would put the 5” props back on and adjust the throttle settings to reduce max throttle. Your daughter sounds like a future champion, way better than I was when I started. 3” vs 5” props still make any quad a flying tomahawk!

Thanks guys. I use a Jumper Tsg V2 as my transmitter.
My daughter and I put together an old version Emax Hawk 5 frame we found online cheap with some Xing 1403 3600kv motors for her. Got it working last night and did a hover test last night.
Maiden flight this weekend, fingers crossed.
Thanks Tevek, she and I are both aware how dangerous a big qwad can be. I'm big on safety so we've covered that from the beginning.

Reactions: tevek
Thanks guys. I use a Jumper Tsg V2 as my transmitter.
My daughter and I put together an old version Emax Hawk 5 frame we found online cheap with some Xing 1403 3600kv motors for her. Got it working last night and did a hover test last night.
Maiden flight this weekend, fingers crossed.
Thanks Tevek, she and I are both aware how dangerous a big qwad can be. I'm big on safety so we've covered that from the beginning.

Sorry for adding to an old post, 1403 motors are very small for the Emax Hawk 5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FAllfrey