Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Should self leveling or not

D_dep

Reaction score
Hi All,

Another noob question, should the pitch be self leveling in manual mode? I didn't adjust the pitch side of the controller, and I was practicing in angel mode in velocidrone. But when I switched to rate mode in velocidrone, it became very hard to control with the controller self centering on the pitch side.

Is this just a preference things or do most fpv pilots fly rate mode and disable self centering on the pitch?

Thanks,

I don't know anyone who disables self centering on pitch, that would be pretty awkward to fly. No idea why you'd want the aircraft to keep rotating around pitch when you let go of the stick, great way to crash...

Hey D_dep, the regular set up here in America is what is called Mode 2. That has you throttle/yaw on the left and pitch/roll on the right. With a qwad that has position hold the sticks are normally self centering. When we fly FPV qwads we normally fly with the throttle axis moving freely and yaw, pitch, and roll self centering. That set up seems to be pretty standard. In some other countries people fly with the their control sticks switched around but they still only have their throttle moving freely.
There's a ton of stuff you'll be learning as you move forward. Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask any other questions as they come up.

Thanks for sharing!! Definitely learning a lot everyday.

So in mode 2 when you push the pitch forward then let go, does the drone keep the pitch angle or does it go back to level as the pitch stick goes back?

For dji fpv, the pitch auto levels which to my understanding is not real manual.

In manual when the stick returns to center the aircraft keeps its attitude, it doesn't level. If it does for you then you haven't actually switched to manual as that's how it works in the other modes.

Last edited:
All DJI camera drones and the FPV in Normal and Sport modes operated in "angle" mode. That means the pitch/roll angle is proportional to the stick position. The way to think about it is the angle follows your stick. Forward, the pitch angle is forward, recenter the stick the pitch angle returns to zero.

In manual (acro) mode the pitch/roll stick behaves entirely differently. It controls the RATE of angle change, not the angle itself. Push forward on the stick a little and the aircraft will start to pitch over forward, hold the stick in that slight forward position and it will continue to pitch all the way over slowly to inverted, and continue to return to upright and level, and then back over again.

The further you push the stick, the faster the RATE of pitch -- i.e. it will go over faster. Recenter the stick AND THE PITCH STOPS CHANGING BUT HOLDS WHERE IT WAS.

The control behavior is completely different, and requires lots of practice to get that ANGLE flying mode out of your head, especially if you've been flying DJI camera drones for years with all the various safety nannies, flying assists, etc.

I wish DJI would include ATTI mode (no position hold -- days past in the Phantom line). It has it's use with the FPV as another incremental step to learn with before going full Manual.

IMO, of course.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya