Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Some info for Diatone Crusader GT2 200 owners

Jtrjr

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Guys,

My beeper stopped working a few days ago and can't afford to fly without one. The pasture grass is getting high now and without a beeper I wouldn't be able to find my birds. I had to take the bird apart to make the repair so I thought I'd provide some pictures and suggestions to give you guys some things to think about.

Here's what happened to the beeper. The little plastic connector that is attached to the FC for the beeper actually lifted off of the board:

IMG_7814.JPG

The tiny leads on the connector lifted the pads with it, making soldering it back on impossible. I attempted to solder it in hopes that it would grab but it didn't. If you look in the lower left corner of the board in the next picture you'll see the burn marks from my attempt to get some solder to take. Fortunately, there were additional pads under the board so I was able to solder the beeper back on to those pads. You can see the two white wires going underneath the board in the same area:

IMG_7805.JPG

In this same photo note the little glob of hot glue behind the connector on the middle, left of the board. In light of this beeper issue I will be putting a little dab of hot glue behind each plastic connector to give them a little more strength.

As I was taking the bird apart I noticed that the carbon fiber side plates for the camera mounts were both cracked (again) just under the camera mount screw holes. I have replacements so I'll use them but I need to find a solution to this issue.

IMG_7810.JPG

The little pins on the aluminum camera mount were also sheared. In the next picture you'll see a new one next to the sheared one.

IMG_7811.JPG

One of the issues you'll run into with the GT2 (as you start flying faster) is that the angle for the GoPro camera mount is too low. As Keith found out, you'll get some really high quality shots of the ground! I fashioned a standoff to raise the front of the canopy. The back does not need to be modified and the bolt holes will still line up. This mod just increases the angle of the cameras and provides a little more room under the canopy.

IMG_7812.JPG

Lastly, I fashioned a little peice of stiff foam to help protect the battery and help it from slipping out of the strap. I recently purchased some thin silicone baking mats and I'll start attaching a small peice over the foam to give it even more gripping strength.

IMG_7813.JPG

The GT2 is an awesome bird but like any other it has its weaknesses. I'm going to continue to look for a better solution to the camera mount/canopy problems. I might make some side plates out of thicker carbon fiber.

Hope this helps out some of you guys!

Jerry

Bob is back up and ready to roll! Decided to replace the VTX with the newer V3 since I had it all apart anyway.

Jerry

IMG_7816.JPG IMG_7817.JPG

Jerry,
That is one beauty,
I think the reason that your fracturing the carbon is the elevation of the front posts that increase on mine pushes the carbon holes up and back of where they are normally. I filed the carbon plate bottoms on an angle to acomidate the natural angle created by the risers... i also used nylon instead of brass.
1/2 inch seems to do the trick.

Keith

Good tip... i had the video connector come loose on mine today...osd worked no picture... hot glue tomorrow am

Thanks keith

That's why i (aside from terrible flying) cant find my birds for an hour. The battery ejects. Every time i crash .. if I'm not bringing it home and focusing on landing the dang battery says "see ya" ...no battery no beeper. I have been thinking about Velcro ..what do you guys think?

Keith

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Keith,

Nah, last two times they broke was before I put the risers on. I'd be a bit afraid of using nylon, a little "too easy" to break for me. I've used the hot glue for the connector/socket a few times on loose connections but that's not what I'm talking about in this thread. I'm talking about where the connector is attached to the flight controller. I put a little glue behind each connector to keep the connector from ripping off the board itself.

Jerry

I understand what you said Jerry i was combining ideas in the same post.

Jerry
These are hard nylon spacers wth a hole all the way through...
No threads..

Keith

Reactions: Jtrjr
Keith,

I tried the Velcro thing long ago, it was a bit of a hassle. When I got a few new birds I ended up taking the Velcro off. Just try the hard foam I showed above, that works great for me. I'm going to try the silicone baking mat soon, I think that will work even better. Yeah, the beeper is worthless without the battery.

Jerry

Jerry ,
I didn't know that this thread even existed...
Thanks for eating me know

Keith

Jerry ,
You have probably already thought of this but... i know when i put my GoPro on top i really tightened that strap down...mabe the tension on strap in combination with crash inertia....GoPro's are not light....maybe ... i have not had that issue yet.

Keith

Yeah, there's not much meat on those side plates. Add to that the slot for the strap and the Bolt that goes into the mount and it's just a weak area. I put thin nylon washers on all of the Bolt holes this time to see if that little bit of cushion will help.

Jerry

Hi Jerry
The other thing i might try is to just double up the entire piece..use CA glue and glue 2 pieces together and us longer screws to assemble. I always want to stop the problem from ever happening again... that would absolutely do it..extra gram or 2 but its fixed for sure.

Peace Keith

Keith,

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I had mine apart. I didn't have any more extra's to give it a try.

Jerry

Good morning Jerry,
Have you flown those cyclones before? I am sure you have .
I really like those props. Strong, efficient (not a lot of noise)
And they look very very cool.

Note: not for nothing but i have 3 extra pairs of those side plates. I would be glad to send you a set on me, if your interested...just offering

Keith

Keith,

Yes, I've flown the cyclones. I'm still in the air on the "best" props. I've tried many different ones but I "stock" the Gemfan's. I got through a lot of props with all of these birds so having a decent prop that works with all of them was important to me. I'm sure as my piloting skills get better, props will become a bigger issue.

Thanks for the offer to send the side plates, that was very generous. I've already got an order in with Diatone. They are spent little buggers!

Jerry

Hi Jerry
I just got the foxeer arrow v3... it has more wires on the plug than the camera that comes with the diatone...on the other end there are only 3 black red yellow...those are the important ones correct?

Keith

Keith,

Yes, those are important to you with the GT2. The Arrow V3 also has its own mini-OSD for battery and flight time info if you don't already have it. Your SP3 already has OSD already. You will have to be careful though. I'm not certain but I think the GT2 is running 5V to the camera, If I'm not mistaken (I may be), the Arrow will want a connection to the 12V Lipo. You'd better check. I'm tuning birds right now so I can't check it right now.

Jerry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya