Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Step child

We are only 60 of us, and that is exceptionally low number, I think it would have grown faster in the other DJI forum and gotten a little more Momentum .
The switch over to this forum was maybe a little to quick.

Will be landing the DJI FPV on the River Front today and it will be interesting to see if it wants to flip over , we may have to Rocket out ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: A.O.

Phantomrain.org
Was the owners decision and I don’t think so. Is a FPV drone
and this is a FPV forum.
So are we the Red Headed Step Children of this forum?? We mostly just hang out in our little area.... the rest ignore us and maybe whisper about us in a secret forum..
(This was for fun only)
There is no secret section . They just are into building their drones
and is no need to step in this section unless they want to ask something.

So are we the Red Headed Step Children of this forum?? We mostly just hang out in our little area.... the rest ignore us and maybe whisper about us in a secret forum..
(This was for fun only)
Nah, not at all. Most of us came from a DJI background and decided to move into building our own gear, fly, crash, repair and that sort of thing. I recently talked the least likely person on the planet, my son in law, to get a mavic mini 2 and try it out. Absolutely loves it and is now looking at something bigger. He said he now understands why I spend hours at my workbench working on my gear and the smile on my face when I’m up flying and doing acro stuff or just cruising around.

Today I was the Ugly Step Child, the Easter Day Picnic People did not like the sound of the DJI FPV as I attempted to test out the Rescue Jacket today and land in the lake,.
Needless to say I was shut down pretty hard , and it was really loud as there was little to no wind, After the second couple came up and said its Easter and that drone is really annoying I Packed up with out ever hitting the water.

Im taking Easter off my Calendar, ?

Phantomrain.org

Reactions: mrmund and A.O.
We are only 60 of us, and that is exceptionally low number, I think it would have grown faster in the other DJI forum and gotten a little more Momentum .

Will be landing the DJI FPV on the River Front today and it will be interesting to see if it wants to flip over , we may have to Rocket out ,

Phantomrain.org
I think too early also..

Was the owners decision and I don’t think so. Is a FPV drone
and this is a FPV forum.

There is no secret section . They just are into building their drones
and is no need to step in this section unless they want to ask something.
As I said in the original post, I was just having a little fun

I used to fly all of my DJI camera drones...
Now I fly carbon frames. I think the DJI FPV is great for some people but I'll probably not get one, at least not the first version.
Welcome to this forum. I read most of the DJI FPV posts I just don't have much to contribute. Enjoy it, it's great for what it's designed for but Watch Out!
You might just end up turning to the Dark Side like us.

Oh no, now I'm trapped in a room with a soldering iron and Betaflight. Save me!???

I used to fly all of my DJI camera drones...
Now I fly carbon frames. I think the DJI FPV is great for some people but I'll probably not get one, at least not the first version.
Welcome to this forum. I read most of the DJI FPV posts I just don't have much to contribute. Enjoy it, it's great for what it's designed for but Watch Out!
You might just end up turning to the Dark Side like us.

Oh no, now I'm trapped in a room with a soldering iron and Betaflight. Save me!???
Well I have several soldering irons, but no clue about Betaflight !:oops:

Reactions: mrmund
Today I was the Ugly Step Child, the Easter Day Picnic People did not like the sound of the DJI FPV as I attempted to test out the Rescue Jacket today and land in the lake,.
Needless to say I was shut down pretty hard , and it was really loud as there was little to no wind, After the second couple came up and said its Easter and that drone is really annoying I Packed up with out ever hitting the water.

Im taking Easter off my Calendar, ?

Phantomrain.org
Don't forget to also X out Memorial Day, July 4th, Veterans Day, Thankgiving, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Christmas, New Years Day, President's Day, MLK Day, Sunny Day, Overcast Day, well, Today.

?

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Well I have several soldering irons, but no clue about Betaflight !:oops:
Don't let the FPV limit you! Pick up a prebuilt with the Vista system and an analog controller and you're in business with something you can use with the DJI goggles on a relative budget.

If you can handle a soldering iron and screwdriver, you're good. I spent $350 and got an iFlight Alpha A85 tinywhoop and Jumper T-lite RC. and am having a blast with it. In some ways more fun than the FPV (mostly because I'm not afraid to crash it). Betaflight comes in to play with the A85. I had to do a bit of soldering to add an analog receiver (FrSky), but that's only because I blew it and didn't buy the A85 with one to begin with. Do it right, and you'll be in the air out of the box.

There's so much I can do with the FPV that I can't with the A85 -- very different capabilities -- I can fly the A85 for all that "can I make it through there?" kind of stuff, while the FPV can do the grand thrills between the tops of Redwoods.

Having a blast with both!

Reactions: mrmund and A.O.
I still think DJI will end up working things out so you will be able to use your controller as well as your goggles. Just enjoy the DJI FPV for a few months. Next Christmas you can ask for a Mr. Steele Apex RTF all set up to work with your current gear. You won't even have to learn Betaflight because he runs KISS. This should only cost you a few hundred more than your DJI FPV, but it is more likely to survive your tree routes. On the other hand, you'll have to change batteries more often.

Reactions: mrmund
Don't forget to also X out Memorial Day, July 4th, Veterans Day, Thankgiving, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Christmas, New Years Day, President's Day, MLK Day, Sunny Day, Overcast Day, well, Today.

?
So glad I fly on my property and I don't have to worry about that!!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I still think DJI will end up working things out so you will be able to use your controller as well as your goggles. Just enjoy the DJI FPV for a few months. Next Christmas you can ask for a Mr. Steele Apex RTF all set up to work with your current gear. You won't even have to learn Betaflight because he runs KISS. This should only cost you a few hundred more than your DJI FPV, but it is more likely to survive your tree routes. On the other hand, you'll have to change batteries more often.
MORE than my FPV?? I already have about a couple grand in to it!!

(This was for fun only)

lol, I wonder if this is DJI FPV in general....
we don't quite fit in the Mavic community, and the FPV community doesn't love us....

only joking,
I know there are a some in the fpv community that are really 'sceptical' of DJI in general, and the DJI FPV in particular - but thats natural when a big player like DJI enter a more niche community... esp. when its diy oriented. we've seen this in many other hobby areas, nothing unique to fpv in this.
I think this is aggrevated by the 'blanket' coverage on social media - it feels like its dominating everything.

I think this will all improve over the coming weeks... there is no denying the dji fpv, like it or not - its a new category, and new approach - so of course, theres alot of focus on it.

but like everything... the next 'new' thing will come along, and attention will shift, and with it the fpv community will get back to 'normal'.
(I think we are already seeing this... many dedicated fpv youtube channels are not doing so much dji coverage)

whats going to be interesting is to see the if this how this all settles down,
hopefully it the dji fpv, will bridge the camera drone and fpv communities.
when someone on the mavic community talks about buying a new drone, the dji fpv might be considered an option, which then leads into how about an RTF FPV?

it also feels perhaps inevitable that we will get more hybrids from other companies (and dji) if the dji fpv attracts **mass** appeal
so we could move away from black n' white - camera drone or fpv drone - to drones that will combine different combinations of features, some more aimed at cinematography, some more action photography, racer, freestyle - and everything in between.

like it or not, i think the genie is out of the bottle...
which is good, there is room for everyone and all budgets in the drone hobby, more the merrier.

so... yeah, perhaps we are the oddity for now, but I suspect we'll become mainstream in the next few months ;)

(of course, another future pressure in the EU and UK, is new legislation , which basically means to fly outside in built-up areas, you'll have to use a sub 250g drone, with 'slow' mode)

I think every one, and I mean EVERYONE is just jealous!!

And like you say I'm sure there will be more entries into this market in the future.

And so sorry you crashed your drone.:(

Reactions: thetechnobear
i think some of it has to do with the typical FPV community doesn't think too keen on this quad. Having flown fpv for a while I can concur, this thing in acro flies pretty (Mod Removed Inappropriate Language)compared to my 5" quad. I love this drone, don't get me wrong, but its no performance quad by all means. She's a big girl and its pretty floaty as well because of the weight. My 5" is on rails and is very nimble in a panic situation where as this thing is pretty unresponsive in a panic situation. Needless to say, i wont be flying it very aggressive in close proximity until i've spent significant time on the stocks getting used to it. My proximity flying will remain fairly medium paced for a while..LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
MORE than my FPV?? I already have about a couple grand in to it!!
I was refering to just the drone... not your total investment. You should be able to by a DJI FPV drone only for $750. The theoretical one I referred to will be over a grand.

i think some of it has to do with the typical FPV community doesn't think too keen on this quad. Having flown fpv for a while I can concur, this thing in acro flies pretty shitty compared to my 5" quad. I love this drone, don't get me wrong, but its no performance quad by all means. She's a big girl and its pretty floaty as well because of the weight. My 5" is on rails and is very nimble in a panic situation where as this thing is pretty unresponsive in a panic situation. Needless to say, i wont be flying it very aggressive in close proximity until i've spent significant time on the stocks getting used to it. My proximity flying will remain fairly medium paced for a while..LOL

the odd thing is why are they upset? DJI was clearly not targetting this drone to the existing fpv community... it was aimed at the much larger market, who might want to get into first person view ( not freestyle/racing)

but I think clearly, for some in the fpv community, its not just about the features/flight characteristics of the drone - these are just being used as proxies, to vent at DJI in general (for a number of reason)

youtube comments are filled with 'this flies like crap', 'its made of glass' ... all things which anyone that is considering buying the dji fpv has already heard in the reviews,
so this is not information, this is really just an excuse to pile on a bit.
this is not helped by some youtubers .. on both sides of the fence who are playing to the peanut gallery.... they know thier main audience is the fpv community, or the mavic community, and make content that plays thier audience.

I personally, just find it all a bit distasteful...
the drone is marketed at a particular market, let them enjoy it.. they have different needs, time, skills.

one thing is certain... be under no illusion, DJI is loving all the exposure, good or bad...

Ive noticed a trend of youtube doing 'traditional' fpv, tagging dji fpv, even with titles like NOT DJI FPV, to attract views, then perhaps disparaging the dji fpv.
DJI will be 'rubbing their hands' at this behaviour, as all this does is feed the algorythm with DJI FPV, marking it as important to google & co.
... these guys are making dji fpv synonymous with fpv drones .. not DJI ?

Again, world, it's the FPV. Not the racing drone. Not the cinema drone. Not the acrobatic drone.

There really is something to FPV without any of those pursuits. I'm one of those people, although getting and flying the FPV has sparked interest in acro.

The tinywhoop I got I haven't tried anything other than FPV flying, but that's what a tinywhoop is all about! Tiny FPV – through the back of the chair, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Young_Kinslee23232