Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Superglue- good for fixing drones?

Fpvbefokt

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently crashed and broke the one arm of my FPV. Live about 14000km from the nearest DJI, so anyone repairing here is charging a king's ransom.

Although the arm was floppy, the break weakened it in the non load bearing direction, and i was able to reposition it and pour cyanoacrylate glue on the join, with a lot spilling into the arm interior.

I realize this will make any repair almost impossible, but it has held against strong pressure, and i have done over a dozen flights at top speed, including aerobatics.

All seems fine. However, my concern is that cyanoacrylate may degrade over time.

Is this a valid concern, or will it remain bonded indefinitely?

Is there any negative aspect to this simple repair technique?

When's the arm flexes, bends or vibrates (maybe from a chipped prop). It is not a great solution but if it means you only have to send it to DJI a third as much that's great. You could try epoxy resin, it is a bit more difficult to apply but could last longer.

Thanks for reply. I'm watching it closely after each flight. Considered epoxy resin on top of the superglue, but am aware this won't strengthen the arm, only the bond.

I have slammed on brakes at 140kph several times as my radical test, so far so good.

Hey all,

Recently crashed and broke the one arm of my FPV. Live about 14000km from the nearest DJI, so anyone repairing here is charging a king's ransom.

Although the arm was floppy, the break weakened it in the non load bearing direction, and i was able to reposition it and pour cyanoacrylate glue on the join, with a lot spilling into the arm interior.

I realize this will make any repair almost impossible, but it has held against strong pressure, and i have done over a dozen flights at top speed, including aerobatics.

All seems fine. However, my concern is that cyanoacrylate may degrade over time.

Is this a valid concern, or will it remain bonded indefinitely?

Is there any negative aspect to this simple repair technique?
During Melbournes extreme lockdowns, I used superglue because everything was closed and all flights to Australia cancelled by the government. I Couldn't send my drone in for repair or order a new part. This video might interest you. It shows you how to use baking soda to strengthen the glue. The repair technique worked on my drone till I could send it in 2 months later. Only a mini and not an FPV but I flew it every day. The method binds superglue and baking soda to create a form of ceramic which is extremally strong. PS The chemical reaction creates heat so don't touch it whilst putting on the soda. I wouldn't use superglue as a long term repair, but as a time buyer.

Just a heads up, the parts for the FPV are pretty cheap and can be ordered online. The FPV has been designed to be easily repairable by the flyer if you can handle a soldering iron. The arm is about $A50-60 and the motors a bit cheaper. There are lots of youtube videos out there on how to repair the arm.

1647903018134.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Fast and Curious

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJAluzion